The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3819 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30 ... 191  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Supreme Court
PostPosted: Wed October 04, 2017 6:42 pm 
See you in another life, brother

Green Habit wrote:
4/5 wrote:
Green Habit wrote:
Looks like there's some hope that Kennedy could step in on gerrymandering:

http://www.scotusblog.com/2017/10/argum ... ting-case/
Speaking of Kennedy, would he really let this buffoon nominate his replacement?
Only Kennedy knows for sure. I wouldn't mind Trump launching a few angry tweets in his direction if he votes in favor of a result Trump doesn't like. The travel ban case would have been perfect but it sounds like they're going to moot that one.

4/5 wrote:
I think Roberts is right that it could open up a floodgate of litigation, but if you believe that gerrymandering is a plague on our democracy that might be a tolerable consequence.
I really dislike that line of thought that Roberts used. The entire job of the courts is to address litigation.

It seems like Roberts likes to play the stature of the court/court is a referee cards whenever he he's okay with the status quo, because he certainly hasn't been afraid to make policy and set fire to precedent when it suits him, like limiting Congress' spending power in the Obamacare case. One could certainly argue that decision would/did open the floodgates to new litigation.

PostPosted: Thu October 05, 2017 12:47 am 
Site Admin

4/5 wrote:
It seems like Roberts likes to play the stature of the court/court is a referee cards whenever he he's okay with the status quo, because he certainly hasn't been afraid to make policy and set fire to precedent when it suits him
In fairness to him, this is the same for every justice, and I largely don't have a problem with it.

PostPosted: Thu October 05, 2017 10:47 am 

Green Habit wrote:
4/5 wrote:
It seems like Roberts likes to play the stature of the court/court is a referee cards whenever he he's okay with the status quo, because he certainly hasn't been afraid to make policy and set fire to precedent when it suits him
In fairness to him, this is the same for every justice, and I largely don't have a problem with it.

Sure.
I admit this could be because I just read a book that was critical of Roberts, The Oath, but it seems that a reasonable argument could be made that the Roberts Court has been the most activist since the Warren Court in spite of rhetoric insisting that he's a firm believer in judicial restraint.

It's probably really just because conservatives typically have 5 votes more than anything else, though.

PostPosted: Tue December 05, 2017 4:41 pm 
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue December 05, 2017 4:43 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

Yeah I've been very curious as to how this would go.

PostPosted: Tue December 05, 2017 4:53 pm 
Site Admin

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
Yeah I've been very curious as to how this would go.
I need to wait for a full article but it sounds like Kennedy was more pissed off about religious liberty than free speech. And that would piss me off, because while I think this is a close case for the latter, I also think it's not a close case for the former.

PostPosted: Tue December 05, 2017 4:58 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Is this teh gay marriage wedding cake one? I can't call a recent where I have been more conflicted. Commerce should not be compelled, but simultaneously a public business cannot discriminate.

PostPosted: Tue December 05, 2017 5:06 pm 
Site Admin

Bi_3 wrote:
Is this teh gay marriage wedding cake one? I can't call a recent where I have been more conflicted. Commerce should not be compelled, but simultaneously a public business cannot discriminate.
Yep, that's the one. In this specific case, I would narrowly rule against the cakemaker because he refused to sell even a generic cake, and leave the larger constitutional questions for another day. But where I think it gets problematic is if the First Amendment doesn't protect from being compelled to add decorations to a generic product that could more accurately be described as art. If that was the law, all it takes is for some anti-SSM assholes to compel a business to design a product that caters to their beliefs to confound things.

Dale Carpenter and Eugene Volokh, as they usually do with issues like this, really helped clear things up in my mind.

http://www.scotusblog.com/wp-content/up ... y_fund.pdf

PostPosted: Tue December 05, 2017 5:32 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Green Habit wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
Yep, that's the one. In this specific case, I would narrowly rule against the cakemaker because he refused to sell even a generic cake, and leave the larger constitutional questions for another day. But where I think it gets problematic is if the First Amendment doesn't protect from being compelled to add decorations to a generic product that could more accurately be described as art. If that was the law, all it takes is for some anti-SSM assholes to compel a business to design a product that caters to their beliefs to confound things.

Dale Carpenter and Eugene Volokh, as they usually do with issues like this, really helped clear things up in my mind.

http://www.scotusblog.com/wp-content/up ... y_fund.pdf

I don't have the time to read all that... but is the act of this transaction still not sort of forcing a de facto endorsement of SSM just like a custom cake? So a coffee shop could say "i support criminal justice reform, so no cops allowed". Cops are engaging in legal activities, like SSM is legal (as it should be), but the business can choose to not serve them right? Honestly asking...

PostPosted: Tue December 05, 2017 7:03 pm 

I had a dream that the Supreme Court issued a ruling in the gerrymandering case. It was 5-4 with a narrow ruling against the state, but it chose not to adopt the suggested test to determine if a state is gerrymandered, so they didn't set a new precedent limiting partisan gerrymandering. Kennedy wrote the Opinion of the Court.

PostPosted: Tue December 05, 2017 8:05 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

4/5 wrote:
I had a dream that the Supreme Court issued a ruling in the gerrymandering case. It was 5-4 with a narrow ruling against the state, but it chose not to adopt the suggested test to determine if a state is gerrymandered, so they didn't set a new precedent limiting partisan gerrymandering. Kennedy wrote the Opinion of the Court.

Wait. That didn't happen?

PostPosted: Tue December 05, 2017 11:23 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

4/5 wrote:

I mostly dream about boobs.

PostPosted: Tue December 05, 2017 11:36 pm 
A Return To Form

Bi_3 wrote:
I don't have the time to read all that... but is the act of this transaction still not sort of forcing a de facto endorsement of SSM just like a custom cake? So a coffee shop could say "i support criminal justice reform, so no cops allowed". Cops are engaging in legal activities, like SSM is legal (as it should be), but the business can choose to not serve them right? Honestly asking...

The best explanation I've heard is something like: if the cake was picked out of a catalog or a menu of cakes then its discrimation to refuse to sell. If they asked for some custom design that the baker wouldn't sell to anyone under any circumstances then it's ok to refuse. Like it wouldn't be religious discrimination if they refused to sell a cake shaped like a cross so long as they don't sell them to anyone. So if the cops in your example were orderIng from the menu at the coffee shop it would be illegal to refuse them service.

PostPosted: Wed December 06, 2017 3:02 am 
AnalLog

I have an interesting take on this now that I'm a business owner yet still a bleeding heart liberal.

I feel like a business should reserve the right to refuse products and services to whoever they want. However, I don't think it's a wise business decision to throw yourself in the middle of such a controversy. There are a million ways to say no to someone...if you have personal beliefs about something and don't want to engage in business that involves it, it seems smarter to just say "I'm too busy to accommodate your cake right now" or something else. Why put your business and livelihood at risk just to make your personal beliefs public?

I see plenty of Trump bumper stickers at my shop, and while on a personal level I despise Trump and what he stands for, I'm not going to die on that hill and start refusing service to people because of it. Business is business, and I have far too much at stake to inject my personal shit into it.

PostPosted: Wed December 06, 2017 3:04 am 
The Master

meatwad wrote:
I have an interesting take on this now that I'm a business owner yet still a bleeding heart liberal.

I feel like a business should reserve the right to refuse products and services to whoever they want. However, I don't think it's a wise business decision to throw yourself in the middle of such a controversy. There are a million ways to say no to someone...if you have personal beliefs about something and don't want to engage in business that involves it, it seems smarter to just say "I'm too busy to accommodate your cake right now" or something else. Why put your business and livelihood at risk just to make your personal beliefs public?

I see plenty of Trump bumper stickers at my shop, and while on a personal level I despise Trump and what he stands for, I'm not going to die on that hill and start refusing service to people because of it. Business is business, and I have far too much at stake to inject my personal shit into it.

Is there a limit for you? Is there a point where you would perhaps deny service to someone?

PostPosted: Wed December 06, 2017 3:34 am 
AnalLog

Strat wrote:
meatwad wrote:

Is there a limit for you? Is there a point where you would perhaps deny service to someone?

Absolutely, though each situation has to be looked at in context. I guess I look at it like this...if you want to keep your beliefs to yourself and just enjoy a sandwich then I'll do the same and gladly take your money. But if you want to use my restaurant as a platform for your hatred or other such nonsense, I'll kindly tell you to get the fuck out.

PostPosted: Wed December 06, 2017 3:42 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

what if he puts poop in the cake tho

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

PostPosted: Wed December 06, 2017 3:42 am 
AnalLog

96583UP wrote:
what if he puts poop in the cake tho

:shake:

PostPosted: Wed December 06, 2017 11:27 am 
Looks Like a Cat

Fuzzy_Dunlop wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:

The best explanation I've heard is something like: if the cake was picked out of a catalog or a menu of cakes then its discrimation to refuse to sell. If they asked for some custom design that the baker wouldn't sell to anyone under any circumstances then it's ok to refuse. Like it wouldn't be religious discrimination if they refused to sell a cake shaped like a cross so long as they don't sell them to anyone. So if the cops in your example were orderIng from the menu at the coffee shop it would be illegal to refuse them service.

I think this is basically the Volokh argument that GH linked to above, but I have since learned that it’s state level protected class status that causes the conflict. So unless the state has cops as a protected class, you can refuse to transact with them and they have no legal recourse.

PostPosted: Thu December 07, 2017 1:24 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

I'm confused by all the fake news about this case... did the baker offer to sell them an existing cake from the store (just not decorate as they requested)? Did the baker sell cakes for other LGBTQ events? What is real anymore?!?!?!?!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3819 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30 ... 191  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate