The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3821 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118 ... 192  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Supreme Court
PostPosted: Fri July 10, 2020 5:06 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

verb_to_trust wrote:
96583UP wrote:
verb_to_trust wrote:
96583UP wrote:
nah man cause this temporary shield of protection collapses once he leaves office

and he is so stupid he'll likely commit new crimes

If we can't see them before November who cares?

people who want to see him punished in 2021+

Anyone who thinks that will happen is delusional

see you guys in 2021+

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

PostPosted: Fri July 10, 2020 6:44 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

Green Habit wrote:
Well, today's opinions sucked. A double dose of giving religious organizations exemptions that secular ones cannot enjoy.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/1 ... 7_1an2.pdf
https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/1 ... 1_5i36.pdf

How could a religious institution have employees that promote its faith under your preferred regime? Should religious organizations be generally barred from having employees?

The interpretation of the establishment clause has been extended far beyond its intent.

I might feel differently living in heavily Mormon Idaho, of course.

PostPosted: Tue July 14, 2020 11:23 pm 
Rank This Poster

Considering we're in the midst of #330 of RBG's hospital visits, I'm wondering if people here with more understanding of the process of selecting another justice can help with a question. Now, of course McConnell will try to fill a vacancy no matter what this year, but in terms of the process, does a point come where that would not be feasible prior to Election Day? These things often take months; Kavanaugh was nominated in early July, with a Senate vote in October, with Gorsuch taking a little over two months on a decidedly less controversial nomination process. Does there come a point where if August comes and RBG is still around, there's not going to be a Senate vote before Election Day?

Obviously, I think McConnell would do it anyway in the lame duck session, even if Biden wins, but I'm curious if there's a point where there is no way there'll be a Senate vote before Election Day.

PostPosted: Tue July 14, 2020 11:33 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Quick Answer: Nothing can stop Don Jr from being appointed

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

PostPosted: Tue July 14, 2020 11:40 pm 
Rank This Poster

I'm sure he's going to do whatever he has to do, but I'm wondering if there comes a point when the rules trip him up (for example, I'm making this up, but something like there needs to a certain number of days between the nomination and the hearing).

PostPosted: Tue July 14, 2020 11:42 pm 
Poster of the Year

The Constitution just says with the advise and consent of the Senate. Any rules they follow are self made, so McConnell can do whatever the fuck he wants, really.

Someone tell me I'm wrong.

PostPosted: Tue July 14, 2020 11:45 pm 
Future Drummer

If she dies the morning of January 20, 2021, he'll make sure to have her replacement confirmed by noon, I would imagine.

PostPosted: Tue July 14, 2020 11:54 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

Rob wrote:
If she dies the morning of January 20, 2021, he'll make sure to have her replacement confirmed by noon, I would imagine.

Isn't the new Congress sworn in in early January? This would only work if the GOP kept a majority or a 50/50 split.

PostPosted: Tue July 14, 2020 11:59 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

January 3rd. They'd have roughly two months post election, not counting whatever recesses are in there.

PostPosted: Wed July 15, 2020 12:14 am 
Site Admin

Put me down along the other responses that say the GOP would replace her within minutes if they had to before their power to do so expires.

PostPosted: Wed July 15, 2020 12:15 am 
Future Drummer

I didn't think it through, so I guess she can't die before January 2, unless they keep the senate. The Merrick Garland saga tells us all we need to know. The GOP didn't care about doing the right thing even before Trump. It's only about beating those Libs.

PostPosted: Wed July 15, 2020 12:17 am 
Poster of the Year

If RGB dies before the election, I bet McConnell tries to spin it that the no confirmation before an election policy applied to Scalia and not her because 2016 was a non incumbent election. "Well, we're operating under the assumption that Donald Trump will still be President."

PostPosted: Wed July 15, 2020 12:25 am 
Future Drummer

cutuphalfdead wrote:
If RGB dies before the election, I bet McConnell tries to spin it that the no confirmation before an election policy applied to Scalia and not her because 2016 was a non incumbent election. "Well, we're operating under the assumption that Donald Trump will still be President."

You could be right, because this is his quote, with the word "new" in it. But that would undermine the "let the people decide" angle.

Quote:
“The American people should have a voice in the selection of their next Supreme Court Justice. Therefore, this vacancy should not be filled until we have a new president,”

And it happened immediately

Quote:
The swiftness of McConnell’s statement — coming about an hour after Scalia’s death in Texas had been confirmed — stunned White House officials who had expected the Kentucky Republican to block their nominee with every tool at his disposal, but didn't imagine the combative GOP leader would issue an instant, categorical rejection of anyone Obama chose to nominate.

PostPosted: Wed July 15, 2020 1:03 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

gorsuch was a pleasant surprise

maybe he has a twin, more liberal brother

PostPosted: Thu July 16, 2020 12:26 am 
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu July 16, 2020 12:50 am 
Rank This Poster

I'm starting to wonder if she just does this to fuck with people.

PostPosted: Thu July 16, 2020 3:00 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

real question: if she is alive but in a vegetative state or coma in the hospital, is that the same thing as being alive-alive; or can the GOP start the nomination process?

unrelated question: if a person dies, but the hospital keeps their heart beating with a machine until January 4th; can the GOP start the nomination process before Jan 4?

PostPosted: Thu July 16, 2020 3:24 am 
Mind Your Tanners

There has to be an RBG lookalike that we can parade around for a few months!

PostPosted: Thu July 16, 2020 3:41 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

everyone is dialing in remote anyways

we can get some ghostwriter and a voice character actor to spew some liberalista into the headset for a couple months

no one will know the difference

PostPosted: Thu July 16, 2020 3:58 am 
I Have A Third Nipple

96583UP wrote:
real question: if she is alive but in a vegetative state or coma in the hospital, is that the same thing as being alive-alive; or can the GOP start the nomination process?

unrelated question: if a person dies, but the hospital keeps their heart beating with a machine until January 4th; can the GOP start the nomination process before Jan 4?

GH strike me dead if I'm wrong, but Trump could name a new nominee tomorrow morning and McConnell could start the process in the Senate after lunch if they wanted to confirm someone else. The Constitution doesn't say there are 9 justices. Trump could declare that he thinks RBG isn't healthy enough to be relied on and put someone else up, and then theoretically it would be a 10-person Supreme Court until RBG (or someone else) dies or retires. Or until Biden and the radical left Democrats who sweep into power in November nominate and install an 11th justice.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3821 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118 ... 192  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate