The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3821 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113 ... 192  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Supreme Court
PostPosted: Thu June 18, 2020 3:42 pm 
See you in another life, brother

digster wrote:
I feel like it's possible there's no one who would prefer Biden win than John Roberts.

Agreed. Getting to strike down liberal laws would be so much easier for him than worry about either being written about in history books as the Chief Justice who enabled Trump or feeling the constant wrath of the red team.

PostPosted: Thu June 18, 2020 3:43 pm 
Gone

These decisions are just to soften the blow when we get the 5-4 decision in Trump's favor on the release of his financials.

PostPosted: Thu June 18, 2020 3:52 pm 
Rank This Poster

4/5 wrote:
digster wrote:
I feel like it's possible there's no one who would prefer Biden win than John Roberts.

Agreed. Getting to strike down liberal laws would be so much easier for him than worry about either being written about in history books as the Chief Justice who enabled Trump or feeling the constant wrath of the red team.

Yes, I'd bet he's assuming that if Biden replaces Ginsburg and Breyer, the pressure will be eased even if the court's ideological makeup hasn't changed.

PostPosted: Thu June 18, 2020 4:08 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Thomas could go in the next four years.

PostPosted: Thu June 18, 2020 4:11 pm 
Gone

The Rona does seem to prefer black people

PostPosted: Thu June 18, 2020 4:17 pm 

verb_to_trust wrote:
These decisions are just to soften the blow when we get the 5-4 decision in Trump's favor on the release of his financials.

But wouldn't you make that trade? Only death will get Trump out of office before 1/20/21.

PostPosted: Thu June 18, 2020 5:17 pm 
Gone

4/5 wrote:
verb_to_trust wrote:

But wouldn't you make that trade? Only death will get Trump out of office before 1/20/21.

I want it all bayyybeeeee!!!

PostPosted: Thu June 18, 2020 5:55 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Conservatives are like "b-but I thought the supreme court was how we win?"

Lol there is no winning.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Thu June 18, 2020 5:56 pm 
Major Dude

BurtReynolds wrote:

Lol there is no winning.

Unless you're Charlie Sheen

PostPosted: Thu June 18, 2020 5:57 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Dems will learn the same lesson when Biden adds another woke corporatist to the court.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Thu June 18, 2020 6:00 pm 

BurtReynolds wrote:

Lol there is no winning.

Their victories are in the future when the Court strikes down the Green New Deal.

PostPosted: Mon June 29, 2020 2:09 pm 
Site Admin

SCOTUS carves out yet another sex related exception to the First Amendment. :shake:

https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/1 ... 7_b97c.pdf

PostPosted: Mon June 29, 2020 2:18 pm 
Site Admin

The Louisiana abortion law is struck down, but without a majority. Roberts just concurred in the judgment and played the stare decisis card, even though he dissented from the very precedent that was set via stare decisis.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/1 ... 3_c07d.pdf

PostPosted: Mon June 29, 2020 2:33 pm 
Site Admin

And finally, the CFPB case came down. Roberts struck down the provision regarding the removal of the director, but saved the rest of the CFPB by finding that provision severable. Thomas and Gorsuch would have not severed.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/1 ... 7_n6io.pdf

PostPosted: Mon June 29, 2020 2:40 pm 
Site Admin

Sorry I forgot about the board for a couple weeks and missed some discussion, of which may be very late:

4/5 wrote:
Concurrences and dissents all over the place. Looking forward to GH's summary.

Looks like the controlling opinion is that Trump has the right to end DACA but the method of doing so was capricious and arbitrary and therefore unconstitutional.
1. SCOTUS essentially punted DACA until after November.
2. But there is something to be said on how comical it is that Trump keeps incompetently losing at SCOTUS on capricious and arbitrary grounds.

4/5 wrote:
digster wrote:

I think one factor to consider is whether the Democrats would threaten to pack the Court if they gain the power to do so. If they make such a threat, it could be done so as a warning to Roberts that you better not strike down the legislation we pass, or we're going to take away the immense power you have as the median Justice on the Court.

PostPosted: Mon June 29, 2020 2:56 pm 

Green Habit wrote:
The Louisiana abortion law is struck down, but without a majority. Roberts just concurred in the judgment and played the stare decisis card, even though he dissented from the very precedent that was set via stare decisis.

What do you think, afraid of Democrats stacking the Court? Fear of more social upheaval/protests, loss of legitimacy of the Court? Guaranteeing a blue wave in November? Something else?

PostPosted: Mon June 29, 2020 3:00 pm 
Site Admin

4/5 wrote:
Green Habit wrote:

What do you think, afraid of Democrats stacking the Court? Fear of more social upheaval/protests, loss of legitimacy of the Court? Guaranteeing a blue wave in November? Something else?
I would indeed guess that Roberts fears that gutting Roe v. Wade now would motivate the left to turn out in 2020. It also likely didn't help that Louisiana did essentially the same thing that Texas did and they assumed that just replacing Kennedy with Kavanaugh would solve things. I think Roberts is definitely leaving the door open for anti-abortion activists to try again with more creative legislation should the Court continue to move more in their favor.

PostPosted: Mon June 29, 2020 5:13 pm 

Green Habit wrote:
4/5 wrote:
Green Habit wrote:

I would indeed guess that Roberts fears that gutting Roe v. Wade now would motivate the left to turn out in 2020. It also likely didn't help that Louisiana did essentially the same thing that Texas did and they assumed that just replacing Kennedy with Kavanaugh would solve things. I think Roberts is definitely leaving the door open for anti-abortion activists to try again with more creative legislation should the Court continue to move more in their favor.

I need to read what he wrote when I get a chance. I'm definitely curious if he encouraged future challenges.

I have more questions but I'll read up on it later today.

PostPosted: Tue June 30, 2020 1:16 am 

"B-but we have to vote Trump because of the Supreme court picks!" - conservatives

PostPosted: Tue June 30, 2020 1:18 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

BurtReynolds wrote:
"B-but we have to vote Trump because of the Supreme court picks!" - conservatives

Lets continue the proud tradition of making terrible rulings in an attempt to deter court packing!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3821 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113 ... 192  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate