The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3822 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 166, 167, 168, 169, 170, 171, 172 ... 192  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Supreme Court
PostPosted: Fri June 24, 2022 2:46 pm 
See you in another life, brother

blueviper wrote:
is there a specific section of the Constitution that was being used to uphold R v W ?

Not really, that's part of the problem. It should have been 14th amendment equal protection and maybe privileges and immunities, but instead it was based on the "penumbra" of the 1st, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 9th, and 14th amendments, which taken together imply a right of privacy.

PostPosted: Fri June 24, 2022 2:48 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Isn't the real problem the United State's bizarre form of government? States rights vs federal power and all that...

PostPosted: Fri June 24, 2022 2:51 pm 
Site Admin

4/5 wrote:
If Scalia was alive that wouldn't have been a solo dissent. He "warned" in Lawrence that it was going to lead to all sorts of apocalyptic things like the same-sex marriage.
My goodness was that dissent bad. It was so bad the Thomas wrote his own separate dissent to try to back away from Scalia's histrionics.

PostPosted: Fri June 24, 2022 2:53 pm 

So Roberts concurred but his concurrence sounds more like a dissent. He would have upheld the Mississippi law but not overturned Roe. So does that make it 6-3 though?

PostPosted: Fri June 24, 2022 2:54 pm 
Future Drummer

4/5 wrote:
So Roberts concurred but his concurrence sounds more like a dissent. He would have upheld the Mississippi law but not overturned Roe. So does that make it 6-3 though?

Yeah, confused about that too

PostPosted: Fri June 24, 2022 2:55 pm 
Future Drummer

The women celebrating on tv.

Don't they realize their freedoms have just been limited?

PostPosted: Fri June 24, 2022 3:01 pm 

Alito wrote:
We hold that Roe and Casey must be overruled. The Constitution makes no reference to abortion, and no such right is implicitly protected by any constitutional provision, including the one on which the defenders of Roe and Casey now chiefly rely—the Due Process Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment. That provision has been held to guarantee some rights that are not mentioned in the Constitution, but any such right must be “deeply rooted in this Nation’s history and tradition” and “implicit in the concept of ordered liberty.”

The right to abortion does not fall within this category. Until the latter part of the 20th century, such a right was entirely unknown in American law. Indeed, when the Fourteenth Amendment was adopted, three quarters of the States made abortion a crime at all stages of pregnancy. The abortion right is also critically different from any other right that this Court has held to fall within the Fourteenth Amendment’s protection of “liberty.” Roe’s defenders characterize the abortion right as similar to the rights recognized in past decisions involving matters such as intimate sexual relations, contraception, and marriage, but abortion is fundamentally different, as both Roe and Casey acknowledged, because it destroys what those decisions called “fetal life” and what the law now before us describes as an “unborn human being.”

So, looks like originalism through and through.

PostPosted: Fri June 24, 2022 3:05 pm 
Future Drummer

4/5 wrote:
Alito wrote:
We hold that Roe and Casey must be overruled. The Constitution makes no reference to abortion, and no such right is implicitly protected by any constitutional provision, including the one on which the defenders of Roe and Casey now chiefly rely—the Due Process Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment. That provision has been held to guarantee some rights that are not mentioned in the Constitution, but any such right must be “deeply rooted in this Nation’s history and tradition” and “implicit in the concept of ordered liberty.”

The right to abortion does not fall within this category. Until the latter part of the 20th century, such a right was entirely unknown in American law. Indeed, when the Fourteenth Amendment was adopted, three quarters of the States made abortion a crime at all stages of pregnancy. The abortion right is also critically different from any other right that this Court has held to fall within the Fourteenth Amendment’s protection of “liberty.” Roe’s defenders characterize the abortion right as similar to the rights recognized in past decisions involving matters such as intimate sexual relations, contraception, and marriage, but abortion is fundamentally different, as both Roe and Casey acknowledged, because it destroys what those decisions called “fetal life” and what the law now before us describes as an “unborn human being.”

I guess ban all guns that weren't around in 1789. You are only granted the right to bear muskets.

PostPosted: Fri June 24, 2022 3:05 pm 
Site Admin

4/5 wrote:
From the little I can read right now, it strikes me as classic Roberts bullshit minimalism in which he wanted to remove constitutional abortion protections but wanted to claim it was consistent with Roe. I kind of appreciate Alito for just ripping the mask off.

PostPosted: Fri June 24, 2022 3:09 pm 
Site Admin

The obvious retort to Thomas wanting to reconsider all those other cases decided on substantive due process grounds is that they can all be answered on Equal Protection Clause grounds instead. That's what O'Connor wanted to do this in Lawrence to try to justify joining the majority in Bowers.

PostPosted: Fri June 24, 2022 3:09 pm 

Clarence Thomas wrote:
Either way, the Due Process Clause at most guarantees process. It does not, as the Court’s substantive due process
cases suppose, “forbi[d] the government to infringe certain ‘fundamental’ liberty interests at all, no matter what process is provided.”

Because the Due Process Clause does not secure any substantive rights, it does not secure a right to abortion.

But, in future cases, we should “follow the text of the Constitution, which sets forth certain substantive rights that cannot be taken away, and adds, beyond that, a right to due process when life, liberty, or property is to be taken away.” Carlton, 512 U. S., at 42 (opinion of Scalia, J.). Substantive due process conflicts with that textual command and has harmed our country in many ways. Accordingly, we should eliminate it from our jurisprudence at the earliest opportunity.

He's said this before but man.

PostPosted: Fri June 24, 2022 3:18 pm 
Gone

Things are about to get mostly peaceful

PostPosted: Fri June 24, 2022 3:56 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

blueviper wrote:
4/5 wrote:
Alito wrote:

I guess ban all guns that weren't around in 1789. You are only granted the right to bear muskets.

so fucking true

PostPosted: Fri June 24, 2022 5:06 pm 
Broken Tamborine

Republicans really do seem obsessed with dragging your country back to the stone ages. And for what? Women will die as a result of this decision but that's just fine for gun-obsessed ideologues. Astonishing.

Hope the Democrats fight this with every tool available to them.

PostPosted: Fri June 24, 2022 5:22 pm 
Gone

Where are you from that’s so great?

PostPosted: Fri June 24, 2022 5:36 pm 
Broken Tamborine

The UK. We're not exactly in the middle of our finest hours, either.

PostPosted: Fri June 24, 2022 5:37 pm 
Site Admin

The band hath spoken.

PostPosted: Fri June 24, 2022 5:38 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Evvo wrote:
Republicans really do seem obsessed with dragging your country back to the stone ages. And for what? Women will die as a result of this decision but that's just fine for gun-obsessed ideologues. Astonishing.

Hope the Democrats fight this with every tool available to them.

Don't worry, they won't.

PostPosted: Fri June 24, 2022 6:15 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Green Habit wrote:
The obvious retort to Thomas wanting to reconsider all those other cases decided on substantive due process grounds is that they can all be answered on Equal Protection Clause grounds instead. That's what O'Connor wanted to do this in Lawrence to try to justify joining the majority in Bowers.

Which is why he is right about substantive due process, and if Roe had been decided on 9th Amendment grounds we wouldn't be revisiting this.

PostPosted: Fri June 24, 2022 6:19 pm 
Site Admin

simple schoolboy wrote:
Green Habit wrote:
Which is why he is right about substantive due process, and if Roe had been decided on 9th Amendment grounds we wouldn't be revisiting this.
Oh sure we would, at least five current justices think there's no constitutional right to an abortion, and they'd find a way to explain it away.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3822 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 166, 167, 168, 169, 170, 171, 172 ... 192  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate