The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3825 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 177, 178, 179, 180, 181, 182, 183 ... 192  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Supreme Court
PostPosted: Fri April 07, 2023 7:24 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Chris_H_2 wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:
Lol. Try the LA Times article instead. Whatever editor they have over there that did not approve breathlessly repeating the Propublica account without context is not long for this world.

What did he do?

Received gifts without disclosing them, which does not seem to violate anything if they are personal gifts from people with no business before the court.

what if he accepts personal gifts from people with no business before the court in order to hang out with people with business before the court?

When's the last time he issued a ruling not completely in lock step with his judicial philosophy? Maybe he's bought, but if so it's indistinguishable from his default instincts.

Hell, I really can't fault him for taking expensive overseas trips. It's about the only way he can get away from protesters trying to hassle or harm him.

We could create new judicial ethics guidelines that are closer to that of the executive (effectively no gifts). Not sure it's necessary, but those are not the current rules and these allegations don't seem to get anywhere close to improper as it stands.

PostPosted: Fri April 07, 2023 8:26 pm 
The Master

Maybe he’s bought?

Yep, totally normal for one man to pay for another man’s vacations.

PostPosted: Fri April 07, 2023 8:55 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

simple schoolboy wrote:
these allegations don't seem to get anywhere close to improper as it stands.

And we're good with the idea that the gift giver also gave large amounts of money to the PAC that pays Ginny an annual salary?

The man had a painting made of this justice and other influential people sitting around the fire at his Adirondack vacation home to hang in that very Adirondack vacation home. So even when Thomas & his wife weren't there he could point at the wall and say, you know, I've got it on good authority that the thing you want to do in your business/statehouse would be 100% upheld by the Supreme Court of The United States.

PostPosted: Fri April 07, 2023 8:57 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

And it's been going on for 20+ years...

PostPosted: Fri April 07, 2023 9:37 pm 
Major Dude

We’ve known he’s a shitheel for 30 years. Anita Hill told us all about it.

PostPosted: Fri April 07, 2023 10:11 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

But that's not even up for debate, he and the people around him are fine with that history.

This is possibly unknown to some, but now they have to accept it too. Which most will because his ideology aligns with their own.

PostPosted: Sat April 08, 2023 1:50 am 
Looks Like a Cat

simple schoolboy wrote:
McParadigm wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:
Lol. Try the LA Times article instead. Whatever editor they have over there that did not approve breathlessly repeating the Propublica account without context is not long for this world.

What did he do?

Received gifts without disclosing them, which does not seem to violate anything if they are personal gifts from people with no business before the court. He's friends with some oil baron who is constantly taking him on expensive vacations.

He used to report such gifts back in the day but got annoyed with the shit he got over it so stopped. We are in bad look territory as far as the LA Times is concerned.

Imagine being annoyed that you’re expected to disclose gifts worth half a million dollars, when you sit on the Supreme Court.

Yeah, but not an actual violation of anything. This is a, "we need to update judicial ethics rules because Thomas shouldn't have nice things". Pro Publica couldn't even get the LA Times to re-broadcast their breathless tone.

It would be more awkward if he was getting tons of gifts from a wide variety of people he wasn't very close with. His seems to mostly get trips and whatnot from this one friend of his. Don't have high net worth friends if you're a Supreme Court Justice, I guess.

That’s what all this is about? LOL

PostPosted: Sat April 08, 2023 2:14 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

something about the way he looks

just makes me think he's guilty

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

PostPosted: Sat April 08, 2023 3:58 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

96583UP wrote:
something about the way he looks

just makes me think he's guilty

Okay there, Khmer Rogue, by all means let's force him to work in the fields and be re-educated because of his bourgeois glasses.

PostPosted: Sat April 08, 2023 4:01 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

Bi_3 wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:
McParadigm wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:

What did he do?

Received gifts without disclosing them, which does not seem to violate anything if they are personal gifts from people with no business before the court. He's friends with some oil baron who is constantly taking him on expensive vacations.

He used to report such gifts back in the day but got annoyed with the shit he got over it so stopped. We are in bad look territory as far as the LA Times is concerned.

Imagine being annoyed that you’re expected to disclose gifts worth half a million dollars, when you sit on the Supreme Court.

Yeah, but not an actual violation of anything. This is a, "we need to update judicial ethics rules because Thomas shouldn't have nice things". Pro Publica couldn't even get the LA Times to re-broadcast their breathless tone.

It would be more awkward if he was getting tons of gifts from a wide variety of people he wasn't very close with. His seems to mostly get trips and whatnot from this one friend of his. Don't have high net worth friends if you're a Supreme Court Justice, I guess.

That’s what all this is about? LOL

That, and that friend of his is a R Billionaire donor, and they recently updated the rules so he'll have to declare some of this going forward, as he has agreed to do.

PostPosted: Sat April 08, 2023 4:10 am 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

People are so funny to me.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Sat April 08, 2023 4:12 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

BurtReynolds wrote:

People that find Anita Hill credible or am I the rube in your estimation?

PostPosted: Sat April 08, 2023 4:16 am 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

simple schoolboy wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:

People that find Anita Hill credible or am I the rube in your estimation?

The first.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Sat April 08, 2023 3:06 pm 
Rank This Poster

spike wrote:
Maybe he’s bought?

Yep, totally normal for one man to pay for another man’s vacations.

why do people keep ignoring this? the excuse that they are friends isn't even an excuse. who the fuck pays for their friends to come on vacation with them? this isn't normal behavior, but everyone defending thomas keeps bringing it up like its a normal thing to do. thomas could probably afford to pay for himself, but his friend is just being a good friend? lol gtfo

PostPosted: Sat April 08, 2023 3:14 pm 
Production Police

I’m not at all suggesting he’s not compromised, but the uber-wealthy pay for their less wealthy friends’ vacations all the time

PostPosted: Sat April 08, 2023 3:23 pm 
Rank This Poster

how much wealthier can he be then clarence thomas? i can't believe people buy this excuse that it's just some guy being a good friend

PostPosted: Sat April 08, 2023 3:29 pm 
Production Police

warehouse wrote:
how much wealthier can he be then clarence thomas? i can't believe people buy this excuse that it's just some guy being a good friend

According to this site, Thomas’s net worth is about $10M, which would actually put him below the $11M threshold that defines the 1% at the national level:

https://finty.com/us/net-worth/clarence-thomas/

Harlan Crow’s net worth is reportedly $20B.

Edit: Crow’s personal net worth is estimated at $2B, while his holding company is estimated at $20B. So his personal net worth is somewhere between the two figures I’d wager.

Last edited by tragabigzanda on Sat April 08, 2023 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat April 08, 2023 3:31 pm 
Production Police

Again, I’m not saying he’s not compromised, but people concerned with these revelations have to let go of the “yeah right he was just paying for his friend’s vacations, sure” defense and start focusing on the “what specific rulings did Thomas issue that were directly influenced by Crow?” defense (it still won’t matter btw, nothing will happen).

PostPosted: Sat April 08, 2023 3:39 pm 
Future Drummer

As a public servant he should know the ethical problems this raises.

Even myself as a lowly local government employee go through ethics training and have guidelines on gifts that are or are not acceptable. I don’t let vendors take me out for lunches. Anything provided by a vendor as a gift or thanks to the city has to be $50 or below.

He’s at the highest level of government. And a judge. He should know better.

PostPosted: Sat April 08, 2023 3:40 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

warehouse wrote:

Thomas has a net worth of around $10M

Crow manages between $20 to $30 billion in a private asset holding company

Crow has donated ~$14M total to republicans over the last 30 years: https://www.dallasnews.com/news/politic ... 3m-to-gop/

Compare this to SBF in 2020 alone: https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/ftx-sa ... ions-2022/

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3825 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 177, 178, 179, 180, 181, 182, 183 ... 192  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate