The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3825 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 ... 192  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Supreme Court
PostPosted: Wed June 27, 2018 8:37 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Don’t Gorsuch On Me

PostPosted: Wed June 27, 2018 8:40 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Don't hate the player, hate the game.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Wed June 27, 2018 9:26 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

tragabigzanda wrote:
Strat wrote:
Why the fuck can't he wait 6 goddamn months.

I'm not even mad at him, the dude is 80 something, he should probably...

PostPosted: Wed June 27, 2018 9:40 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Green Habit wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Strat wrote:
I'm not even mad at him, the dude is 80 something, he should probably spend time with his family. I am still PISSED with the Dems for taking such a white glove approach to the Garland/Gorsuch fiasco. They should have been guns blazing, now we all get to suffer for decades. Awesome.

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Democrats are the most useless pussies in the world. Already folding to the will of Republicans on this. Again. Fuck them. Worthless. Ugh.
There's nothing the Dems could have ultimately done back then, and there's not much they can do now. Sucks if you're a supporter of the Dems, but that's where we're at.

Exactly. The way McConnell pissed all over the system was disgusting and abhorrent and I believe there's a special place in Hell for him. BUT... even if they'd had the hearing, they wouldn't have appointed him. There was nothing to be done.

PostPosted: Wed June 27, 2018 9:57 pm 
Rank This Poster

Good lord, people think things are ugly now.

PostPosted: Wed June 27, 2018 9:58 pm 
The Master

digster wrote:

Yea my stomach just sank thinking about the next 50 years.

PostPosted: Wed June 27, 2018 10:06 pm 
Production Police

durdencommatyler wrote:
Green Habit wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Strat wrote:
I'm not even mad at him, the dude is 80 something, he should probably spend time with his family. I am still PISSED with the Dems for taking such a white glove approach to the Garland/Gorsuch fiasco. They should have been guns blazing, now we all get to suffer for decades. Awesome.

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Democrats are the most useless pussies in the world. Already folding to the will of Republicans on this. Again. Fuck them. Worthless. Ugh.
There's nothing the Dems could have ultimately done back then, and there's not much they can do now. Sucks if you're a supporter of the Dems, but that's where we're at.

Exactly. The way McConnell pissed all over the system was disgusting and abhorrent and I believe there's a special place in Hell for him. BUT... even if they'd had the hearing, they wouldn't have appointed him. There was nothing to be done.

yeah this is all fair. so where should i direct my anger?

PostPosted: Wed June 27, 2018 10:09 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

Channel it into your ice cream business

PostPosted: Wed June 27, 2018 10:09 pm 
Rank This Poster

Strat wrote:
digster wrote:

I mean, part of the big concern in the long run is something similar you're going to see more and more in Congress, which is that as the decades go on, Republicans are likely to be at an extreme legislative advantage that is not going to be represented in the makeup of the country. Younger generations are markedly more liberal than older generations; that's not revelatory or anything, but unless large swaths of younger Americans change their political persuasion, the Republican party in 20-25 years will likely be in quite a bit of trouble, in terms of the raw numbers.

But that's not really true in Congress, with gerrymandering, but also sorting; younger liberals are moving to cities and other areas where there is a better culture/more job opportunities, while older conservatives remain behind with a power greater than their raw numbers. And I think it's going to be even more pronounced with the Court. Let's say Trump wins re-election; it's conceivable that 15-20 years from now, you could have a 7-2 or 8-1 conservative court in a country far more liberal than it is today. Which I would imagine would get fairly ugly.

PostPosted: Wed June 27, 2018 10:14 pm 
Rank This Poster

I'm also not too well-versed on Court history, so I'd be interested in learning if at any point the ideological sway of the court was way out of step with the country's ideological leanings.

PostPosted: Wed June 27, 2018 10:14 pm 
Site Admin

digster wrote:
Let's say Trump wins re-election; it's conceivable that 15-20 years from now, you could have a 7-2 or 8-1 conservative court in a country far more liberal than it is today. Which I would imagine would get fairly ugly.
If this happens, there's almost certainly going to be some court packing.

PostPosted: Wed June 27, 2018 10:15 pm 
The Master

digster wrote:
Strat wrote:
digster wrote:

I mean, part of the big concern in the long run is something similar you're going to see more and more in Congress, which is that as the decades go on, Republicans are likely to be at an extreme legislative advantage that is not going to be represented in the makeup of the country. Younger generations are markedly more liberal than older generations; that's not revelatory or anything, but unless large swaths of younger Americans change their political persuasion, the Republican party in 20-25 years will likely be in quite a bit of trouble, in terms of the raw numbers.

But that's not really true in Congress, with gerrymandering, but also sorting; younger liberals are moving to cities and other areas where there is a better culture/more job opportunities, while older conservatives remain behind with a power greater than their raw numbers. And I think it's going to be even more pronounced with the Court. Let's say Trump wins re-election; it's conceivable that 15-20 years from now, you could have a 7-2 or 8-1 conservative court in a country far more liberal than it is today. Which I would imagine would get fairly ugly.

Burts wildest dreams are coming true.

PostPosted: Wed June 27, 2018 10:15 pm 
Rank This Poster

Green Habit wrote:
digster wrote:
Let's say Trump wins re-election; it's conceivable that 15-20 years from now, you could have a 7-2 or 8-1 conservative court in a country far more liberal than it is today. Which I would imagine would get fairly ugly.
If this happens, there's almost certainly going to be some court packing.

Yeah, that's a good point.

PostPosted: Wed June 27, 2018 10:20 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

not necessarily if ~50% of the voting population remains ignorant as to which party actually reflects their best interests

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

PostPosted: Wed June 27, 2018 10:39 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Strat wrote:
digster wrote:

aw huh

PostPosted: Wed June 27, 2018 10:41 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

tragabigzanda wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
Green Habit wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Strat wrote:

LoathedVermin72 wrote:

yeah this is all fair. so where should i direct my anger?

Destroying Republicans in November.

PostPosted: Wed June 27, 2018 11:21 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

digster wrote:

So, what is going to happen?

PostPosted: Thu June 28, 2018 12:09 am 
Rank This Poster

I tried explaining it above, at least as best I could in terms of what could be happening in 20 years if it's an overwhelmingly conservative court.

PostPosted: Thu June 28, 2018 12:21 am 
Looks Like a Cat

digster wrote:
I tried explaining it above, at least as best I could in terms of what could be happening in 20 years if it's an overwhelmingly conservative court.

I see that now, bad thread reading on my part.

PostPosted: Thu June 28, 2018 1:47 am 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

Green Habit wrote:
@SkitchP wrote:
B wrote:
Green Habit wrote:
I can think of a few of you that may :thumbsup: this, but this gets a huge :thumbsdown: from me.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/1 ... 6_2b3j.pdf

I'm fine with it, as long as people who refuse to pay the dues are stripped of any pay raises negotiated by the union, overtime pay, health insurance, holiday leave, and grievance procedures.

Unions have been giving workers benefits for so long, people don't see how much better off they are b/c of them.
That would backfire immediately. All the employer would have to do is give disproportionate raises and leave to the people who opt out and then the union likely goes away entirely.
Bingo.

Well, I was just talking it out.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3825 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 ... 192  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate