The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3825 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 185, 186, 187, 188, 189, 190, 191, 192  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Supreme Court
PostPosted: Wed June 21, 2023 1:23 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Quote:
Alito did not report the 2008 fishing trip on his annual financial disclosures. By failing to disclose the private jet flight Singer provided, Alito appears to have violated a federal law that requires justices to disclose most gifts, according to ethics law experts.

Experts said they could not identify an instance of a justice ruling on a case after receiving an expensive gift paid for by one of the parties.

“If you were good friends, what were you doing ruling on his case?” said Charles Geyh, an Indiana University law professor and leading expert on recusals. “And if you weren’t good friends, what were you doing accepting this?” referring to the flight on the private jet.

You don’t have to think this particular incident influenced a vote to recognize that this pattern of secretive gift-taking by Supreme Court justices is an open avenue that corruption can and will travel through…unless it is addressed.

PostPosted: Wed June 21, 2023 5:43 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Bi_3 wrote:
elliseamos wrote:

So, in 2007 the court rejected a hedge's fund's complaint. In 2008 the owner took him on a trip. In 2009 it again rejected his complaints. Again in 2010 it turned them down. Then, 6 years after that trip, it finally took one of eight complaints and decided in their favor (7-1, with Kennedy, Kagan, and Breyer joining)? And what is this evidence of?

Now imagine he'd recused himself...

PostPosted: Thu June 22, 2023 12:23 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

imagine if these were some of the liberal justices who took flights with george soros

the right wing media would probably be whipping up the maga-ites to storm government buildings with bats

pawns

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

NEVER STOP JAMMING!

i hate those theoretical people in that theoretical scenario

so much

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

NEVER STOP JAMMING!

but i also would not be cool with them taking those flights

PostPosted: Thu June 22, 2023 12:24 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

and now have a kindred linkage to those theoretical people whom i hate

i have some soul-searching to do now

PostPosted: Thu June 22, 2023 11:01 am 
Looks Like a Cat

McParadigm wrote:
Quote:
Alito did not report the 2008 fishing trip on his annual financial disclosures. By failing to disclose the private jet flight Singer provided, Alito appears to have violated a federal law that requires justices to disclose most gifts, according to ethics law experts.

Experts said they could not identify an instance of a justice ruling on a case after receiving an expensive gift paid for by one of the parties.

“If you were good friends, what were you doing ruling on his case?” said Charles Geyh, an Indiana University law professor and leading expert on recusals. “And if you weren’t good friends, what were you doing accepting this?” referring to the flight on the private jet.

You don’t have to think this particular incident influenced a vote to recognize that this pattern of secretive gift-taking by Supreme Court justices is an open avenue that corruption can and will travel through…unless it is addressed.

I agree that there is a level of Urkel-ish "did I do that?" attitude when it comes to these paperwork errors, but I recall the court tightened up the rules earlier this year to reduce the confusion over reporting.

PostPosted: Thu June 22, 2023 8:57 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

https://www.mcsweeneys.net/articles/eve ... ppropriate

PostPosted: Mon June 26, 2023 7:51 pm 
See you in another life, brother

The Supreme Court accepted a case that will let it decide whether there can be a wealth tax. IE, can Congress tax unrealized capital gains?

PostPosted: Mon June 26, 2023 9:25 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

4/5 wrote:
The Supreme Court accepted a case that will let it decide whether there can be a wealth tax. IE, can Congress tax unrealized capital gains?

I thought this was already decided multiple times.

PostPosted: Mon June 26, 2023 10:02 pm 

Bi_3 wrote:
4/5 wrote:

I thought this was already decided multiple times.

Not that I know of. In this particular case lower courts have twice decided that Congress can tax unrealized foreign capital gains.

Obviously the Court doesn't have to decide anything about unrealized domestic gains but this gives them a chance to preemptively state that a wealth tax is unconstitutional if they want.

PostPosted: Tue June 27, 2023 2:09 pm 
Site Admin

Wow, Roberts (thankfully!) flipped on the independent state legislature theory, and also got Kavanaugh and Barrett to go along with his new position.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/2 ... 1_3f14.pdf

PostPosted: Tue June 27, 2023 3:30 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Translation: NC gerrymandered maps need to be redrawn?

PostPosted: Tue June 27, 2023 6:31 pm 

elliseamos wrote:

More broadly, states can't draw maps and pass laws shielding said maps from judicial review.

PostPosted: Tue June 27, 2023 9:59 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

4/5 wrote:
elliseamos wrote:

More broadly, states can't draw maps and pass laws shielding said maps from judicial review.

Great!

But voting rights are totally fair game?

PostPosted: Thu June 29, 2023 1:54 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Student Loan ruling in 5... 4... 3... 2...

PostPosted: Thu June 29, 2023 1:59 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

nope.

Affirmative Action is gone:

"The court holds that Harvard and UNC's admissions programs violate the equal protection clause of the 14th Amendment."

PostPosted: Thu June 29, 2023 2:23 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

such a complex topic

PostPosted: Thu June 29, 2023 2:59 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

96583UP wrote:
such a complex topic

Schools will just say the decision to accept one kid over another was based on another reason... it's kind of silly that it had to be fought over.

PostPosted: Thu June 29, 2023 3:23 pm 
Production Police

It will ultimately be a moot point in a decade, once all the sub-Ivy schools are clamoring for on-campus students to subsidize their real estate assets. Acceptance benchmarks will drop left and right, and suddenly a 1.8 GPA will be perfectly fine for a student seeking an in-person engineering degree.

And then more optimistically, hopefully more schools will continue to transition more credits online, with an emphasis on 2-year degrees, that allows those BIPOC people who got shafted today to start achieving upward mobility from the comfort of their parents' homes.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3825 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 185, 186, 187, 188, 189, 190, 191, 192  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate