The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3821 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50 ... 192  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Supreme Court
PostPosted: Thu September 13, 2018 10:53 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

4/5 wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
meatwad wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
meatwad wrote:
After what Republicans did regarding Merrick Garland, I'm all Dems creating this kind of spectacle. Fuck the GOP and their dickhead nominee.

I'm all for this guy not being on the court, but this is probably not a smart move. It's difficult enough to prove claims like this, should what was implied above be what is being alleged. If this isn't bulletproof the blow-back from the coming war on the accuser will harm a lot of victims plus it puts female Senators in a very difficult place (which the cynic in me assumes is the point of the timing and press-leak of this).

Definitely tons of backfire potential, but hopefully they know what they're doing and there's something there to be substantiated. Either way I think they did the right thing by handing it off to the FBI...let them decide if there's anything there.

Apparently Feinstein has been sitting on this since mid summer, so the timing is clearly tied to the vote next week. This is America in 2018: leaking rape allegations, timed so the accused cannot defend themselves, to derail a political appointment. Pretty disgusting

And yet we're talking about the next 30 years of jurisprudence. Maybe if they hadn't gone nuclear and gotten rid of the filibuster for Supreme Court nominees...

This reminds me of a wonderful quote:

"And don’t tell me the end justifies the means because it doesn’t. We never reach the end. All we ever get is means. That’s what we live with." —Nick Harkaway

PostPosted: Thu September 13, 2018 11:12 pm 
Future Drummer

That is an idiotic quote.

PostPosted: Thu September 13, 2018 11:25 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

Bi_3 wrote:
meatwad wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
meatwad wrote:
After what Republicans did regarding Merrick Garland, I'm all Dems creating this kind of spectacle. Fuck the GOP and their dickhead nominee.

I'm all for this guy not being on the court, but this is probably not a smart move. It's difficult enough to prove claims like this, should what was implied above be what is being alleged. If this isn't bulletproof the blow-back from the coming war on the accuser will harm a lot of victims plus it puts female Senators in a very difficult place (which the cynic in me assumes is the point of the timing and press-leak of this).

Definitely tons of backfire potential, but hopefully they know what they're doing and there's something there to be substantiated. Either way I think they did the right thing by handing it off to the FBI...let them decide if there's anything there.

Apparently Feinstein has been sitting on this since mid summer, so the timing is clearly tied to the vote next week. This is America in 2018: leaking rape allegations, timed so the accused cannot defend themselves, to derail a political appointment. Pretty disgusting

I can't believe that's true, but it is that should be the death nail in Feinstein's claims that she's an advocate for women.

PostPosted: Fri September 14, 2018 12:25 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

isn't there a statute of limitations on molesting underage people

i thought that was the whole catholic church defense

distinct from the pete towshend defense

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

PostPosted: Fri September 14, 2018 3:05 pm 
Rank This Poster

PostPosted: Fri September 14, 2018 3:54 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

96583UP wrote:
isn't there a statute of limitations on molesting underage people

i thought that was the whole catholic church defense

distinct from the pete towshend defense

It looks like he's not criminally in danger: https://criminal.findlaw.com/criminal-l ... tions.html

But that doesn't mean it won't hurt him in a vote by the Senate.

Did Feinstein already win her primary?

PostPosted: Fri September 14, 2018 5:10 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Games on both sides. wtf.

PostPosted: Fri September 14, 2018 5:40 pm 
See you in another life, brother

B wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:

I can't believe that's true, but it is that should be the death nail in Feinstein's claims that she's an advocate for women.

Why? Couldn't she argue that by waiting until now when we're so close to the midterm election that if this story blocks his confirmation and Trump and company don't have time to jam through another arch-conservative Justice before the midterm elections that this could give people in 16 or 17 states the ability to vote enough Dems into the Senate so that the eventual Republican Justice will be someone more friendly to women's rights than Kavanaugh?

I get that the optics of it are messy, but the potential payoff might make it worth such a gambit.

PostPosted: Fri September 14, 2018 5:46 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

4/5 wrote:
B wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:

Why? Couldn't she argue that by waiting until now when we're so close to the midterm election that if this story blocks his confirmation and Trump and company don't have time to jam through another arch-conservative Justice before the midterm elections that this could give people in 16 or 17 states the ability to vote enough Dems into the Senate so that the eventual Republican Justice will be someone more friendly to women's rights than Kavanaugh?

I get that the optics of it are messy, but the potential payoff might make it worth such a gambit.

I'm not going to praise Feinstein for sitting on a report of attempted rape until it was politically convenient. That should have been turned over to the authorities immediately, not when it might win a political battle. Unless that woman asked Feinstein to hold it until it could make a strategic win for women everywhere (which I doubt), then Feinstein's got very little soul left.

If he's actually a predator (which I doubt, but what the fuck do I know), he was left to coach a basketball team full of teen girls for months.

PostPosted: Fri September 14, 2018 5:49 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

Nick knows that I would prefer lawmakers do the right thing instead of "win the game."

PostPosted: Fri September 14, 2018 5:54 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

B wrote:
4/5 wrote:
B wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:

I'm not going to praise Feinstein for sitting on a report of attempted rape until it was politically convenient. That should have been turned over to the authorities immediately, not when it might win a political battle. Unless that woman asked Feinstein to hold it until it could make a strategic win for women everywhere (which I doubt), then Feinstein's got very little soul left.

If he's actually a predator (which I doubt, but what the fuck do I know), he was left to coach a basketball team full of teen girls for months.

This actually reads as though she was trying to avoid turning it into a political toy, regardless of the potential messaging value.
Quote:
After the interactions with Eshoo’s and Feinstein’s offices, the woman decided not to speak about the matter publicly. She had repeatedly reported the allegation to members of Congress and, watching Kavanaugh move toward what looked like an increasingly assured confirmation, she decided to end her effort to come forward, a source close to the woman said. Feinstein’s office did not respond to requests for comment.

Feinstein’s decision to handle the matter in her own office, without notifying other members of the Senate Judiciary Committee, stirred concern among her Democratic colleagues. For several days, Feinstein declined requests from other Democrats on the Judiciary Committee to share the woman’s letter and other relevant communications. A source familiar with the committee’s activities said that Feinstein’s staff initially conveyed to other Democratic members’ offices that the incident was too distant in the past to merit public discussion, and that Feinstein had “taken care of it.” On Wednesday, after media inquiries to the Democratic members multiplied, and concern among congressional colleagues increased, Feinstein agreed to brief the other Democrats on the committee, with no staff present.

PostPosted: Fri September 14, 2018 5:56 pm 
Rank This Poster

It could certainly be politically motivated in the timing, but all this recent stuff certainly puts to bed the notion that the entire thing was an 11th hour fabrication. Putting aside the veracity of the letter, Republicans coming out so quickly with that response indicates they clearly knew about this for a while.

Last edited by digster on Fri September 14, 2018 6:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri September 14, 2018 5:57 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

I hope that's right.

PostPosted: Fri September 14, 2018 5:58 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

McParadigm wrote:
B wrote:
4/5 wrote:
B wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:

This actually reads as though she was trying to avoid turning it into a political toy, regardless of the potential messaging value.
Quote:
After the interactions with Eshoo’s and Feinstein’s offices, the woman decided not to speak about the matter publicly. She had repeatedly reported the allegation to members of Congress and, watching Kavanaugh move toward what looked like an increasingly assured confirmation, she decided to end her effort to come forward, a source close to the woman said. Feinstein’s office did not respond to requests for comment.

Feinstein’s decision to handle the matter in her own office, without notifying other members of the Senate Judiciary Committee, stirred concern among her Democratic colleagues. For several days, Feinstein declined requests from other Democrats on the Judiciary Committee to share the woman’s letter and other relevant communications. A source familiar with the committee’s activities said that Feinstein’s staff initially conveyed to other Democratic members’ offices that the incident was too distant in the past to merit public discussion, and that Feinstein had “taken care of it.” On Wednesday, after media inquiries to the Democratic members multiplied, and concern among congressional colleagues increased, Feinstein agreed to brief the other Democrats on the committee, with no staff present.

It reads like a power play from someone up for reelection.

PostPosted: Fri September 14, 2018 6:10 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

That last paragraph? I don't see how that shows her doing anything other than trying to keep this letter under wraps until other Democrats made it public on their own.

PostPosted: Fri September 14, 2018 6:14 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Isn't it amazing how two people can read the same words and take such wildly different views?

PostPosted: Fri September 14, 2018 6:53 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

bune wrote:
Isn't it amazing how two people can read the same words and take such wildly different views?

Fuck you, snowflake!

PostPosted: Fri September 14, 2018 7:24 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

B wrote:
That last paragraph? I don't see how that shows her doing anything other than trying to keep this letter under wraps until other Democrats made it public on their own.

Because you are presupposing good intentions on her part. Look at it this way; if it leaked she could play it as “I was defending the desires of the victim” and if it didn’t she could swoop in at the last second and leak it herself (assuming that wasn’t the original source of the story). Either way she is smart and clearly realized the political value of the information and held it close.

Allegedly, Buzzfeed was able to identify the woman when the rumors stated last week, which itself suggests a level of legitimacy to the accusation.

PostPosted: Fri September 14, 2018 7:29 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

what level would that be?

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Fri September 14, 2018 7:31 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

BurtReynolds wrote:
what level would that be?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3821 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50 ... 192  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate