The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3825 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 176, 177, 178, 179, 180, 181, 182 ... 192  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Supreme Court
PostPosted: Tue December 06, 2022 10:15 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

B wrote:

Bi_3 wrote:
What's interesting is that the arguments against the plaintiff are at odds with anti-racist policies. For example:

Quote:
Brian Fletcher, the principal deputy solicitor general who argued on behalf of the Biden administration in support of Colorado, resisted any effort to carve out an exemption for same-sex marriage. The Supreme Court’s First Amendment cases, he argued, do not distinguish between “views we find odious and those we respect.” He noted that in 1976, the Supreme Court ruled that private schools may not discriminate based on race. But if Smith prevails, he posited, a private school could exclude some children by arguing that the messages that it teaches “change when we express them to students of a different race.”

Isn't this exactly what anti-racist educators assert is happening via the 'white supremacy' embedded our education system?

Are you asking if anti-racists endorse teaching different messages to children of different races?

I believe anti-racist educators explicitly say that the messages we teach mean different things to kids of different races (hence the need to 'decolonize') and use that as a basis for differential treatment... this behavior is cited in this case as the worst possible outcome but seems to be a desirable outcome in schools all over the country.

PostPosted: Tue December 06, 2022 10:20 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

Huh, well, I've never understood that to be a goal of anti-racism, but I've only read a few books, and none of them were textbooks.

PostPosted: Tue December 06, 2022 11:10 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

B wrote:
Huh, well, I've never understood that to be a goal of anti-racism, but I've only read a few books, and none of them were textbooks.

In fairness I often use the terms anti-racist, critical race theory, and culturally responsive teaching interchangeably with regards to education as they all seem the same in practice so you could be right in that I am misattributing it.

PostPosted: Thu January 19, 2023 10:02 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

Welp. It's a cold case now.

PostPosted: Fri January 20, 2023 5:34 am 
mXn

Victimless crime

PostPosted: Fri January 20, 2023 12:18 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

Bammer wrote:
Victimless crime

That's not what Republicans told me.

PostPosted: Fri January 20, 2023 4:57 pm 
See you in another life, brother

I still think it was a conservative leak to keep Kavanaugh in the majority.

PostPosted: Fri January 20, 2023 7:12 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

Oh, it was obviously Alito.

PostPosted: Thu April 06, 2023 8:05 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

https://www.propublica.org/article/clar ... gifts-crow

Will this mean anything?

Will Ice Cream Joe get another seat?

PostPosted: Fri April 07, 2023 1:31 am 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

elliseamos wrote:
https://www.propublica.org/article/clarence-thomas-scotus-undisclosed-luxury-travel-gifts-crow

Will this mean anything?

Will Ice Cream Joe get another seat?

Fat chance.

PostPosted: Fri April 07, 2023 1:52 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

throw him in the slammer

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

PostPosted: Fri April 07, 2023 3:12 am 
Mind Your Tanners

Apparently Thomas knew enough to disclose the $19,000 Bible the guy gave him, but not the half million dollar trip to Asia.

Who hasn't done the same, amirite?

PostPosted: Fri April 07, 2023 5:26 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

Lol. Try the LA Times article instead. Whatever editor they have over there that did not approve breathlessly repeating the Propublica account without context is not long for this world.

PostPosted: Fri April 07, 2023 11:27 am 
Looks Like a Cat

simple schoolboy wrote:
Lol. Try the LA Times article instead. Whatever editor they have over there that did not approve breathlessly repeating the Propublica account without context is not long for this world.

What did he do?

PostPosted: Fri April 07, 2023 3:50 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Bi_3 wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:

What did he do?

Received gifts without disclosing them, which does not seem to violate anything if they are personal gifts from people with no business before the court. He's friends with some oil baron who is constantly taking him on expensive vacations.

He used to report such gifts back in the day but got annoyed with the shit he got over it so stopped. We are in bad look territory as far as the LA Times is concerned.

PostPosted: Fri April 07, 2023 4:43 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

simple schoolboy wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:

What did he do?

Received gifts without disclosing them, which does not seem to violate anything if they are personal gifts from people with no business before the court. He's friends with some oil baron who is constantly taking him on expensive vacations.

He used to report such gifts back in the day but got annoyed with the shit he got over it so stopped. We are in bad look territory as far as the LA Times is concerned.

Imagine being annoyed that you’re expected to disclose gifts worth half a million dollars, when you sit on the Supreme Court.

PostPosted: Fri April 07, 2023 6:01 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

McParadigm wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:

What did he do?

Imagine being annoyed that you’re expected to disclose gifts worth half a million dollars, when you sit on the Supreme Court.

Yeah, but not an actual violation of anything. This is a, "we need to update judicial ethics rules because Thomas shouldn't have nice things". Pro Publica couldn't even get the LA Times to re-broadcast their breathless tone.

It would be more awkward if he was getting tons of gifts from a wide variety of people he wasn't very close with. His seems to mostly get trips and whatnot from this one friend of his. Don't have high net worth friends if you're a Supreme Court Justice, I guess.

PostPosted: Fri April 07, 2023 7:18 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

simple schoolboy wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:

What did he do?

Received gifts without disclosing them, which does not seem to violate anything if they are personal gifts from people with no business before the court.

what if he accepts personal gifts from people with no business before the court in order to hang out with people with business before the court?

PostPosted: Fri April 07, 2023 7:19 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

I'm sorry, but a mega REP donor has business before the court. He dedicates his life to donating $$$ to political causes. Gonna take a wild guess those causes involve abortion, etc.

PostPosted: Fri April 07, 2023 7:21 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Not that I think Thomas is easily influenced by trips. I truly believe they are friends and Thomas just believes in conservatism on his own.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3825 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 176, 177, 178, 179, 180, 181, 182 ... 192  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate