The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3819 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 167, 168, 169, 170, 171, 172, 173 ... 191  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Supreme Court
PostPosted: Fri June 24, 2022 6:22 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Green Habit wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:
Green Habit wrote:
The obvious retort to Thomas wanting to reconsider all those other cases decided on substantive due process grounds is that they can all be answered on Equal Protection Clause grounds instead. That's what O'Connor wanted to do this in Lawrence to try to justify joining the majority in Bowers.
Which is why he is right about substantive due process, and if Roe had been decided on 9th Amendment grounds we wouldn't be revisiting this.
Oh sure we would, at least five current justices think there's no constitutional right to an abortion, and they'd find a way to explain it away.

They'd be more comfortable with stare decisis if Roe's foundation wasn't such a garbage fire.

I think the issue is that such a 9th Amendment finding would constrain the government in other areas that they'd rather not be.

PostPosted: Fri June 24, 2022 6:24 pm 
See you in another life, brother

Green Habit wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:
Green Habit wrote:
The obvious retort to Thomas wanting to reconsider all those other cases decided on substantive due process grounds is that they can all be answered on Equal Protection Clause grounds instead. That's what O'Connor wanted to do this in Lawrence to try to justify joining the majority in Bowers.
Which is why he is right about substantive due process, and if Roe had been decided on 9th Amendment grounds we wouldn't be revisiting this.
Oh sure we would, at least five current justices think there's no constitutional right to an abortion, and they'd find a way to explain it away.

I interpreted the focus on due process as the Court saying that it didn't matter whether you use the original Roe rationale or the stronger due process/equal protection rationale that they were overturning it either way.

PostPosted: Fri June 24, 2022 6:27 pm 
Site Admin

simple schoolboy wrote:
Green Habit wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:
Green Habit wrote:
They'd be more comfortable with stare decisis if Roe's foundation wasn't such a garbage fire.

I think the issue is that such a 9th Amendment finding would constrain the government in other areas that they'd rather not be.
The fact that they expanded the right to gun ownership one day before curtailing the right to an abortion makes it clear that they only want to find rights for some things but not others.

Which, in its essence, is fine! No one is consistent in saying what is and isn't constitutionally protected. Just be up front with the inconsistency.

4/5 wrote:
I interpreted the focus on due process as the Court saying that it didn't matter whether you use the original Roe rationale or the stronger due process/equal protection rationale that they were overturning it either way.
Yep.

PostPosted: Fri June 24, 2022 6:36 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Green Habit wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:
Green Habit wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:
Green Habit wrote:

The fact that they expanded the right to gun ownership one day before curtailing the right to an abortion makes it clear that they only want to find rights for some things but not others.

Which, in its essence, is fine! No one is consistent in saying what is and isn't constitutionally protected. Just be up front with the inconsistency.

How is it inconsistent to privilege enumerated rights over *whatever this is*? The 2nd is meaningless if bearing is only allowable as part of militia service.

Leaving issues to the states that the constitution is mute on is perfectly reasonable.

PostPosted: Fri June 24, 2022 6:44 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

simple schoolboy wrote:
Green Habit wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:
Green Habit wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:
Green Habit wrote:

How is it inconsistent to privilege enumerated rights over *whatever this is*? The 2nd is meaningless if bearing is only allowable as part of militia service.

Leaving issues to the states that the constitution is mute on is perfectly reasonable.

I don't like it out of fear of how far a right-wing court could take it to win the culture war, but this seems like a justifiable position. They really should have gone with the Collins abortion bill a few weeks ago.

PostPosted: Fri June 24, 2022 7:48 pm 
Gone

Thank god Pearl Jam has weighed in

PostPosted: Fri June 24, 2022 7:59 pm 
The Master

Thank god verb has weighed in on Pearl Jam weighing in

PostPosted: Fri June 24, 2022 10:39 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

The vibes are so bad today, probably just a matter of time before someone else tries to go Nick Roske mode.

PostPosted: Fri June 24, 2022 10:52 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Mickey wrote:
The vibes are so bad today, probably just a matter of time before someone else tries to go Nick Roske mode.

You've committed that dorks name to memory? Impressive.

Kavanagh's neighbors are probably all leaving town for the weekend.

PostPosted: Fri June 24, 2022 10:52 pm 
Gone

Mickey wrote:

I’m pretty sure you hold the championship belt for RMers encouraging the murder of politicians

PostPosted: Fri June 24, 2022 10:57 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

simple schoolboy wrote:
Mickey wrote:

You ever hear of google, my man?

I've seen Alito, Kav, and Thomas's home addresses all over the timeline today. There's a palpable difference from even a few years ago.

PostPosted: Fri June 24, 2022 11:00 pm 
Gone

Mickey wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:
Mickey wrote:

You ever hear of google, my man?

I've seen Alito, Kav, and Thomas's home addresses all over the timeline today. There's a palpable difference from even a few years ago.

You seem to follow a bunch of level headed people on twitter

PostPosted: Fri June 24, 2022 11:04 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

verb_to_trust wrote:
You seem to follow a bunch of level headed people on twitter

The next 7 days are going to show the nation a lot about it's character.

PostPosted: Fri June 24, 2022 11:05 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

It'll be interesting to see if the lefties turn on RBG after this or it's still all-Trump all-the-time.

PostPosted: Fri June 24, 2022 11:07 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

From what I've seen both RBG and Obama are receiving a lot of criticism.

PostPosted: Fri June 24, 2022 11:31 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

JuanHamm wrote:

Yeah they're getting rightfully dragged, as far as I can tell. Again, things have shifted!

PostPosted: Fri June 24, 2022 11:33 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Should I hold out on a discount for one of those nifty RBG action figures or books?

PostPosted: Fri June 24, 2022 11:46 pm 
"Supersonic sucks."

JuanHamm wrote:
Isn't the real problem the United State's bizarre form of government? States rights vs federal power and all that...

I don't know, we have a similar system in Australia that generally works well.

The problem seems to be the perverse politicisation of the Supreme Court where its seen as a de facto policy maker, something that should instead only be the responsibility of the legislature.

I'm only a non-local idiot and haven't read the decision, but I thought it was pretty accepted that Roe was poorly decided and there was a degree of inevitability about its overturning at some point.

Isn't it possible to accept overturning Roe was the right decision but also support abortion rights and leaning on elected officials to remedy the gap in legal protections? I guess it's hard for me to understand the 'another example of the USA sliding into fascism!' reactions.

PostPosted: Sat June 25, 2022 12:24 am 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

Astute

PostPosted: Sat June 25, 2022 12:49 am 
See you in another life, brother

JuanHamm wrote:

Why Obama?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3819 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 167, 168, 169, 170, 171, 172, 173 ... 191  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate