Switch to full style
Engage in discussions about news, politics, etc.
Post a reply

Re: Anybody want a Corona?

Thu August 13, 2020 10:54 pm

Fri August 14, 2020 3:09 am

Rangi Guy wrote:
LetMeSleep wrote:
Rangi Guy wrote:Find out later on today what further lockdowns are going to be put in place (if any). Few more community cases found, but so far all of these have been in Auckland which is already shut off from the rest of the country. Instead of letting people self-isolate like they did last time - all cases found are being moved to managed isolation facilities.

Stupid conspiracy crap being shared around that was the goverment's plan to have us in complete lockdown by Oct and will be bringing in the military any day now

Also - glad to see the number in Aus way down from where they were about a week ago

Is it confirmed as a freezer case? Or quarantine breach?

No word yet.
I did read just before that there's a confirmed case outside of Auckland. Looks like my trip up north next week will be off

The cold freezer virus idea seems to be gaining traction. It wouldn't be the first such case if it was.

Fri August 14, 2020 5:47 am

No changes to our lockdown levels! Thank you Jesus!

Fri August 14, 2020 3:16 pm

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... latam-wrap

Fri August 14, 2020 4:49 pm

It'd be nice if the CDC exerted some effort to encourage responsible reporting of numbers.

I always see # of new cases in a day reported, which is really a useless number.

NC's dashboard has charts for "Cases by Day of Specimen Collection" and "Deaths by Date of Death," both of which are MUCH less sensational then the daily total and death reports. Earlier this week, we reported an "all time high record of 45 deaths in a day," but if you look by Date of Death, we've never had more than 35 people die in a day, and usually under 20, and the peak was 2 weeks ago.

https://covid19.ncdhhs.gov/dashboard/cases

Fri August 14, 2020 4:57 pm

B wrote:It'd be nice if the CDC exerted some effort to encourage responsible reporting of numbers.

I always see # of new cases in a day reported, which is really a useless number.

NC's dashboard has charts for "Cases by Day of Specimen Collection" and "Deaths by Date of Death," both of which are MUCH less sensational then the daily total and death reports. Earlier this week, we reported an "all time high record of 45 deaths in a day," but if you look by Date of Death, we've never had more than 35 people die in a day, and usually under 20, and the peak was 2 weeks ago.

I like how our reporting is done. Total cases, total recovered, total deaths, new cases, number hospitalized, number in ICU, new deaths. We seem to be getting pretty good at keeping the bolded numbers down even though new cases have gone up a little.

Fri August 14, 2020 5:16 pm

B wrote:It'd be nice if the CDC exerted some effort to encourage responsible reporting of numbers.

I've been curious as to why NC's death percentage is so much lower than other parts of the country.

Fri August 14, 2020 7:48 pm

New poll today shows that 35% of Americans will not get a vaccine, should one become available. :shake:

Sat August 15, 2020 2:38 am

Jorge wrote:https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-08-12/after-146-days-in-lockdown-argentina-hasn-t-peaked-latam-wrap

sorry, dude

Spoiler: show

Sat August 15, 2020 4:53 am

Mickey wrote:New poll today shows that 35% of Americans will not get a vaccine, should one become available. :shake:

That is fkn wild.

Sample size? Location of poll respondents?

Sat August 15, 2020 11:24 am

Hatfield wrote:

I've been curious as to why NC's death percentage is so much lower than other parts of the country.

Fresh mountain air. Fresh sea air. We're a finer crop of humans here in NC. Look at me and Ruddo.

Sat August 15, 2020 2:09 pm

Didn't what's-his-face tell hospitals to stop reporting stats to the CDC?

Sat August 15, 2020 3:06 pm

B wrote:
Hatfield wrote:

Fresh mountain air. Fresh sea air. We're a finer crop of humans here in NC. Look at me and Ruddo.

Hurricanes will take you two out.

Sat August 15, 2020 4:31 pm

doone wrote:Didn't what's-his-face tell hospitals to stop reporting stats to the CDC?

They were told to bypass the CDC, which is more independent and based in Atlanta, and send information directly to its parent org (HHS), which is directly tied to the administration.

And then the HHS Chief Information Officer resigned abruptly last night.

Sat August 15, 2020 8:46 pm

he just had a bad case of diarrhea

Sat August 15, 2020 8:55 pm

Sat August 15, 2020 8:59 pm

Stickman wrote:Image

Of course, the White House thinks the red one is the good one...

Sat August 15, 2020 9:06 pm

do the red dots represent arable land

Sat August 15, 2020 9:30 pm

Country to country comparable are much more complex than that.

Sat August 15, 2020 9:45 pm

surfndestroy wrote:

Country to country comparable are much more complex than that.

Yes but only to an extent. This image certainly oversimplifies it but it's quite clear that, among so-called "developed countries" the US almost uniquely shit the bed in terms of pandemic response.
Post a reply