The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7730 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 321, 322, 323, 324, 325, 326, 327 ... 387  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Anybody want a Corona?
PostPosted: Fri July 03, 2020 5:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Misplaced My Sponge
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 6:02 am
Posts: 6314
Location: Tristes Tropiques
B wrote:
Anyone know how to find the number of cases reported for the current day?

If you google, you get cases in each state as of yesterday. When does today get recorded, and where does it get posted?

NC, by the way, broke 2000 cases in a day for the first time today, and our hospitalizations hit a high of 951. Still not exponential growth, but our trend line might be moving a bit from a line to a curve as of today.


They get posted in the evening (~5 pm) but you usually have to find news reports for the specific state--I think they're coming out via press release, because the state pages for the states I'm following are, like the Google numbers, a day late.

Edit--this might only apply to PA and FL.

_________________
pepperwhiteMFC wrote:
Seems like Mickey has formed 4 decks worth of archetypes out of RMers, and he’s playing them off of each other as if to divine some sort of overall meaning to this place.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Anybody want a Corona?
PostPosted: Fri July 03, 2020 5:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Classic B
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Wed December 19, 2012 9:53 pm
Posts: 14290
Location: Chapel Hill, NC, USA
wease wrote:
B wrote:
Anyone know how to find the number of cases reported for the current day?

If you google, you get cases in each state as of yesterday. When does today get recorded, and where does it get posted?

NC, by the way, broke 2000 cases in a day for the first time today, and our hospitalizations hit a high of 951. Still not exponential growth, but our trend line might be moving a bit from a line to a curve as of today.

TN has a special website and it’s updated at 2pm daily.

Yeah, NC does Noon. I'm thinking the US must tally late in the day.

_________________
VinylGuy wrote:
Fuck, B was right all along?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Anybody want a Corona?
PostPosted: Fri July 03, 2020 5:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar
for those who
are not...shall be
 Profile

Joined: Sat January 05, 2013 7:30 am
Posts: 13151
Location: here
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

This has NC currently at 1,733 today but I noticed any state's data isn't necessarily final and tends to increase as more county counts are tallied


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Anybody want a Corona?
PostPosted: Fri July 03, 2020 5:41 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Classic B
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Wed December 19, 2012 9:53 pm
Posts: 14290
Location: Chapel Hill, NC, USA
knee tunes wrote:
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

This has NC currently at 1,733 today but I noticed any state's data isn't necessarily final and tends to increase as more county counts are tallied


I don't know where they get that number. NC DHHS reported over 2000 today, and I can't find ANY day that we reported 1,733.

_________________
VinylGuy wrote:
Fuck, B was right all along?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Anybody want a Corona?
PostPosted: Fri July 03, 2020 5:41 pm 
Offline
User avatar
for those who
are not...shall be
 Profile

Joined: Sat January 05, 2013 7:30 am
Posts: 13151
Location: here
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

See, this has PA currently at 274, but if you click on PA , it will show you by county (not all states have the county feature) and not all counties are "in" yet...so the number will increase. I'm not sure if all states operate this way. NC doesn't detail by county (not on this site anyway)...FL does.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Anybody want a Corona?
PostPosted: Fri July 03, 2020 5:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar
for those who
are not...shall be
 Profile

Joined: Sat January 05, 2013 7:30 am
Posts: 13151
Location: here
B wrote:
knee tunes wrote:
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

This has NC currently at 1,733 today but I noticed any state's data isn't necessarily final and tends to increase as more county counts are tallied


I don't know where they get that number. NC DHHS reported over 2000 today, and I can't find ANY day that we reported 1,733.



Both Worldometers and NC DHHS are reporting 70,241 total cases in NC so i guess there's some adjustment going on there among some days


Last edited by knee tunes on Fri July 03, 2020 5:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Anybody want a Corona?
PostPosted: Fri July 03, 2020 5:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar
NEVER STOP JAMMING!
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 10:53 pm
Posts: 24338
Location: Illinois
Worldometers never matches up with anyone else. None of the main reporters ever have the same numbers. It's almost as if we are....a joke.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Anybody want a Corona?
PostPosted: Fri July 03, 2020 5:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar
for those who
are not...shall be
 Profile

Joined: Sat January 05, 2013 7:30 am
Posts: 13151
Location: here
Is your site showing 1,855 for yesterday? There's a "yesterday" button on that site


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Anybody want a Corona?
PostPosted: Fri July 03, 2020 5:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Misplaced My Sponge
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 6:02 am
Posts: 6314
Location: Tristes Tropiques
Neat site, thanks kt. I like (is that the right word?) the projection tool, which currently has the US on track for 175k deaths by October 1st.

_________________
pepperwhiteMFC wrote:
Seems like Mickey has formed 4 decks worth of archetypes out of RMers, and he’s playing them off of each other as if to divine some sort of overall meaning to this place.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Anybody want a Corona?
PostPosted: Fri July 03, 2020 5:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar
for those who
are not...shall be
 Profile

Joined: Sat January 05, 2013 7:30 am
Posts: 13151
Location: here
verb_to_trust wrote:
Worldometers never matches up with anyone else. None of the main reporters ever have the same numbers. It's almost as if we are....a joke.


PA DOH matches it

I occasionally check


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Anybody want a Corona?
PostPosted: Fri July 03, 2020 5:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar
for those who
are not...shall be
 Profile

Joined: Sat January 05, 2013 7:30 am
Posts: 13151
Location: here
Mickey wrote:
Neat site, thanks kt. I like (is that the right word?) the projection tool, which currently has the US on track for 175k deaths by October 1st.


I look at this site everyday. Yes, I also "appreciate" :P the projection tool. I'm a numbers person, so I like all the features on the site. So frickin morbid though


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Anybody want a Corona?
PostPosted: Fri July 03, 2020 5:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar
for those who
are not...shall be
 Profile

Joined: Sat January 05, 2013 7:30 am
Posts: 13151
Location: here
B wrote:
knee tunes wrote:
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

This has NC currently at 1,733 today but I noticed any state's data isn't necessarily final and tends to increase as more county counts are tallied


I don't know where they get that number. NC DHHS reported over 2000 today, and I can't find ANY day that we reported 1,733.



Both Worldometers and NC DHHS are reporting 70,241 total cases in NC so i guess there's some adjustment going on there among some days


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Anybody want a Corona?
PostPosted: Fri July 03, 2020 9:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar
NEVER STOP JAMMING!
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 10:53 pm
Posts: 24338
Location: Illinois
17 combined deaths in Iowa and Illinois today. % positive in Illinois continues to be around 2.5.

At what point do deaths go up? Surely they will, but how much, how soon?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Anybody want a Corona?
PostPosted: Fri July 03, 2020 9:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Misplaced My Sponge
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 6:02 am
Posts: 6314
Location: Tristes Tropiques
verb_to_trust wrote:
17 combined deaths in Iowa and Illinois today. % positive in Illinois continues to be around 2.5.

At what point do deaths go up? Surely they will, but how much, how soon?


Takes about 4-5 weeks from infection to death, maybe longer. Early June we were still hovering around 15-18k cases a day nationwide, so we're still a ways off from a noticable jump in deaths that's undoubtedly coming from these 50k days. How much, not clear, but they're going up up up.

_________________
pepperwhiteMFC wrote:
Seems like Mickey has formed 4 decks worth of archetypes out of RMers, and he’s playing them off of each other as if to divine some sort of overall meaning to this place.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Anybody want a Corona?
PostPosted: Fri July 03, 2020 9:09 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Calibrating
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:33 pm
Posts: 83620
Location: everybody needs to stop bragging about their mountains
Mickey wrote:
verb_to_trust wrote:
17 combined deaths in Iowa and Illinois today. % positive in Illinois continues to be around 2.5.

At what point do deaths go up? Surely they will, but how much, how soon?


Takes about 4-5 weeks from infection to death, maybe longer. Early June we were still hovering around 15-18k cases a day nationwide, so we're still a ways off from a noticable jump in deaths that's undoubtedly coming from these 50k days. How much, not clear, but they're going up up up.

I haven't done my due diligence on this but I have seen some talk that because so many of the new cases we're seeing now are young people, that perhaps the death numbers won't balloon the way they have before. Does the data bear that out? Or is that just wishful thinking on the part of those speculating? It makes some sense on its face. But like I said, I haven't taken the time to really look into whether there's any validity there.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Anybody want a Corona?
PostPosted: Fri July 03, 2020 9:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Misplaced My Sponge
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 6:02 am
Posts: 6314
Location: Tristes Tropiques
durdencommatyler wrote:
Mickey wrote:
verb_to_trust wrote:
17 combined deaths in Iowa and Illinois today. % positive in Illinois continues to be around 2.5.

At what point do deaths go up? Surely they will, but how much, how soon?


Takes about 4-5 weeks from infection to death, maybe longer. Early June we were still hovering around 15-18k cases a day nationwide, so we're still a ways off from a noticable jump in deaths that's undoubtedly coming from these 50k days. How much, not clear, but they're going up up up.

I haven't done my due diligence on this but I have seen some talk that because so many of the new cases we're seeing now are young people, that perhaps the death numbers won't balloon the way they have before. Does the data bear that out? Or is that just wishful thinking on the part of those speculating? It makes some sense on its face. But like I said, I haven't taken the time to really look into whether there's any validity there.


Yeah I'm not sure--I've seen that claim made, but I've also seen data that suggests a spike in the 75+ population, so. The "the death rate is going down" is one of the re-opener talking points, which doesn't mean it's false but I am suspicious of who and for whom it's being deployed. The nice thing about impending death is that we'll find out eventually, I guess.

_________________
pepperwhiteMFC wrote:
Seems like Mickey has formed 4 decks worth of archetypes out of RMers, and he’s playing them off of each other as if to divine some sort of overall meaning to this place.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Anybody want a Corona?
PostPosted: Fri July 03, 2020 9:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar
NEVER STOP JAMMING!
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 4:18 am
Posts: 21866


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Anybody want a Corona?
PostPosted: Fri July 03, 2020 9:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar
NEVER STOP JAMMING!
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 10:53 pm
Posts: 24338
Location: Illinois
I haven't even thought about eating at a restaurant.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Anybody want a Corona?
PostPosted: Fri July 03, 2020 9:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar
AnalLog
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 2:03 pm
Posts: 1373
knee tunes wrote:
United States has 4% of the world's population, but 26% of the corona cases.

:shake:


So we’re winning?

_________________
2010 St. Louis
2004 St. Louis
2003 St. Louis
2000 St. Louis
1998 St. Louis


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Anybody want a Corona?
PostPosted: Fri July 03, 2020 9:38 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Misplaced My Sponge
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 6:02 am
Posts: 6314
Location: Tristes Tropiques
I'm sure in-person dining is ridiculous--there's a lot of evidence to corroborate that--but we've swiped our card when doing takeout from neighborhood places (as a way to avoid doing Grubhub, etc.) so I wonder how much that's factored into the data. That was in-person use but we didn't eat-in.

_________________
pepperwhiteMFC wrote:
Seems like Mickey has formed 4 decks worth of archetypes out of RMers, and he’s playing them off of each other as if to divine some sort of overall meaning to this place.


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7730 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 321, 322, 323, 324, 325, 326, 327 ... 387  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
It is currently Fri August 07, 2020 10:25 am