The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19045 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 316, 317, 318, 319, 320, 321, 322 ... 953  Next
 Post subject: Re: Anybody want a Corona?
PostPosted: Thu July 02, 2020 4:38 am 
Mind Your Tanners

On the other side of the country, cases are going down in Philly and were going down in the entire state of Pennsylvania, though numbers have started to climb in the counties in "green phase." Boy, sure looks like there is something you can do to control this--shut down any non-essential indoor businesses and enforce masks and social distancing while providing a robust safety net.

PostPosted: Thu July 02, 2020 4:53 am 
Gone

So far I don't see any state with a major metro area that has this "under control". Just because New York got wiped out first doesn't mean they have some magic answer to the situation. Masking helps. Distancing helps. But they still haven't been able to return to anything close to normal, certainly not in the way much of Europe has for example.

PostPosted: Thu July 02, 2020 5:02 am 
Mind Your Tanners

verb_to_trust wrote:
So far I don't see any state with a major metro area that has this "under control". Just because New York got wiped out first doesn't mean they have some magic answer to the situation. Masking helps. Distancing helps. But they still haven't been able to return to anything close to normal, certainly not in the way much of Europe has for example.

Italy literally stopped traffic in and out of the hardest hit areas, and acted quickly--they shut down all schools at 100 deaths. Can't really compare effects when the cause hasn't been the same.

PostPosted: Thu July 02, 2020 5:12 am 
Gone

Mickey wrote:
verb_to_trust wrote:

Italy literally stopped traffic in and out of the hardest hit areas, and acted quickly--they shut down all schools at 100 deaths. Can't really compare effects when the cause hasn't been the same.

Whatever. Point is the northeast isn't some utopia. There will probably even be a major resurgence.

PostPosted: Thu July 02, 2020 7:06 am 
Mind Your Tanners

PostPosted: Thu July 02, 2020 9:49 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

I've mentioned it before, but masks are not recommended for regular people in Norway and Denmark, and Corona has been almost completely squashed here. 251 dead from Corona in Norway, in total. It's because you both touch your mask, and thus your face more often, it's not shown to stop spreading of the virus, and it's proven that it makes those wearing it less careful. So if you want to wear it, fine. No one is stopping you. But it shouldnt be demanded of others. As long as they follow other more important procedures, like washing their hands regularly, keeping distance to people they don't know (or that they don't know if are ill or not, even family members from other areas, not those you live with).

PostPosted: Thu July 02, 2020 11:50 am 
what on earth am I talking about

52,000 new cases in one day.

Remember trump said this was a hoax? And again yesterday said it would ‘go away’.

Jesus

PostPosted: Thu July 02, 2020 11:56 am 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

Anders wrote:
I've mentioned it before, but masks are not recommended for regular people in Norway and Denmark, and Corona has been almost completely squashed here. 251 dead from Corona in Norway, in total. It's because you both touch your mask, and thus your face more often, it's not shown to stop spreading of the virus, and it's proven that it makes those wearing it less careful. So if you want to wear it, fine. No one is stopping you. But it shouldnt be demanded of others. As long as they follow other more important procedures, like washing their hands regularly, keeping distance to people they don't know (or that they don't know if are ill or not, even family members from other areas, not those you live with).

We had over 50,000 cases in one day yesterday. You really think Americans are doing the "other more important procedures"?

PostPosted: Thu July 02, 2020 12:04 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
Anders wrote:

We had over 50,000 cases in one day yesterday. You really think Americans are doing the "other more important procedures"?

Very large numbers in the US. But from what I've seen you have a lot more people wearing masks than here. I can't really comment on your question, as I'm sure you know a lot more about it than I do.

PostPosted: Thu July 02, 2020 12:19 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Any idea why LA is locked down again?

Spoiler: show

PostPosted: Thu July 02, 2020 12:21 pm 
for those who
are not...shall be

Bi_3 wrote:

Better than locked up?

PostPosted: Thu July 02, 2020 12:30 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

There does seem to be a lot of mass gatherings.

PostPosted: Thu July 02, 2020 12:32 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

My neighbor told me a story about her son hiking in the woods with his family. They passed another family that wasn't wearing masks, and the kid asked her mother, "why are those people wearing masks?" Her mother told her it was because they selfish, and they don't care about other people.

What the living fuck?

PostPosted: Thu July 02, 2020 12:33 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

knee tunes wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:

Better than locked up?

To be fair, dying in an overwhelmed hospital does make it less likely for the cops to shoot to you.

PostPosted: Thu July 02, 2020 12:33 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Bi_3 wrote:

Nice try

PostPosted: Thu July 02, 2020 12:34 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

That is a weird take, but:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-52015486

"Since the start of the coronavirus outbreak, the official advice from the World Health Organization has been that only two types of people should wear masks: those who are sick and show symptoms, and those who are caring for people who are suspected to have the coronavirus.

Nobody else needs to wear a mask, and experts have given several reasons for that.

One is that a mask is not seen as reliable protection as other methods, given that current research shows the virus is spread by droplets and contact with contaminated surfaces. So it could protect you, but only in certain situations such as when you're in close quarters with others where someone infected might sneeze or cough near your face. This is why experts say frequent hand washing with soap and water is far more effective.

Removing a mask requires special attention to avoid hand contamination, and it could also breed a false sense of security where you end up ignoring or forgetting to practice good hygiene."

PostPosted: Thu July 02, 2020 12:48 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

durdencommatyler wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:

Nice try

https://www.latimes.com/california/stor ... -in-spread

PostPosted: Thu July 02, 2020 12:50 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Bi_3 wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:

Nice try

That seems a natural conclusion to me. If you do mass protests, the virus will likely spike.

PostPosted: Thu July 02, 2020 1:24 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Bi_3 wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:

Nice try

And yet in NYC ( from NYT):

Quote:
“We’ve been looking very closely at the number of positive cases every day to see if there is an uptick in the context of the protests,” Ted Long, executive director of the city’s contact tracing program, said. “We have not seen that.”

I wonder what the main difference is between LA and NYC... Weird how ones of them is showing major increases and the other isn't. I guess there must not be any mass gathering protests here.

PostPosted: Thu July 02, 2020 1:26 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Forbes, WaPo, NPR also conclude that protests did not spike cases.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19045 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 316, 317, 318, 319, 320, 321, 322 ... 953  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate