The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19045 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 940, 941, 942, 943, 944, 945, 946 ... 953  Next
 Post subject: Re: Anybody want a Corona?
PostPosted: Thu July 20, 2023 4:24 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Bi_3 wrote:
Sooooooo anyway, disgust developed as a disease avoidance behaviour. Situations that trigger disgust are most often situations where there is a perception of disease. Rotting things, roaches, rats, etc. You sees these, the natural reaction for most is to feel disgust and lose their appetite, which in turn causes them to move away from that place. For example, a server shows up with a huge cold sore on their face, that impacts the customer's lasting perception of the cleanliness of the establishment regardless of whether or not it poses real risk to anyone. Thus if a food service business has determined that employees wearing masks is associated with triggering subconscious disease detection, i.o.w. disgust, then it makes sense for them to ban masks because they don't want customers to think there are sick workers there, regardless of whether or not there are. It may be completely illusory, but giving customers the idea they are safe there is actually pretty important for most businesses.

This same logic applies to all those cases from yesteryear (and who knows, maybe again someday) where business owners concluded that an absence of masking increased perception of disease or risk and mandated them, I suppose.

PostPosted: Thu July 20, 2023 4:39 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

Bammer wrote:
Let’s get off topic: At what point should an employer have to keep paying someone who isn’t at work? Or maybe another way to look at it, who should be responsible for paying someone when they’re not at work? Obvs a complicated issue. Your post gives the sense that a restaurant owner, for example, should be more responsible for paying employees who aren’t there. (Maybe I read that totally wrong)

Do you have unlimited sick time?
I don't.
Some people do.
Everyone should have some.
Employers should pay it.
I don't mind if there is government aid for the impoverished store owners.
None of that aid should go to these corporations. https://www.newamerica.org/better-life- ... sick-days/

Did I hit all of your points?

PostPosted: Sat July 22, 2023 2:07 am 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

JuanHamm wrote:
Matters wrote:
blueviper wrote:
actually, I think it makes sense for food prep workers to wear masks out of safety precautions.

A restaurant is actually a place where employees wearing masks IS logical. No one wants spit in their food. Of course that has nothing to do with preventing the spread of an airborne virus traveling on aerosols and it should never be mandatory.

JuanHamm wrote:
I get people not wanting to wear a mask - but I don't understand people not wanting others to wear a mask.

I wouldn’t want someone who comes to my house to wear a mask so I understand why a place of business wouldn’t want their employees or customers wearing them.

Why not?

If it’s someone I know, I want to have face to face interaction. I don’t want the idea of healthy people wearing masks to be at all normalized around my kids. I also get sick of asking masked people to repeat every third sentence because I can’t understand their muffled voice. If it’s a stranger going door to door for whatever reason, it’s about security.

Most everyone who enters a place of business is a stranger to the proprietor so asking costumers to not wear masks is common sense.

PostPosted: Sat July 22, 2023 2:11 am 
The Master

dad wrote:
meh, that place is overrated anyway.

Very much so.

PostPosted: Sat July 22, 2023 2:13 am 
mXn

Matters wrote:
JuanHamm wrote:
Matters wrote:
blueviper wrote:
actually, I think it makes sense for food prep workers to wear masks out of safety precautions.

A restaurant is actually a place where employees wearing masks IS logical. No one wants spit in their food. Of course that has nothing to do with preventing the spread of an airborne virus traveling on aerosols and it should never be mandatory.

JuanHamm wrote:
I get people not wanting to wear a mask - but I don't understand people not wanting others to wear a mask.

I wouldn’t want someone who comes to my house to wear a mask so I understand why a place of business wouldn’t want their employees or customers wearing them.

Why not?

If it’s someone I know, I want to have face to face interaction. I don’t want the idea of healthy people wearing masks to be at all normalized around my kids. I also get sick of asking masked people to repeat every third sentence because I can’t understand their muffled voice. If it’s a stranger going door to door for whatever reason, it’s about security.

Most everyone who enters a place of business is a stranger to the proprietor so asking costumers to not wear masks is common sense.

Sometimes I think Matters is my second account, posting things I would have posted myself when I’m not able to be here.

PostPosted: Sat July 22, 2023 3:26 am 
The Master

they're telling their employees they can't wear masks, not their customers.

PostPosted: Sat July 22, 2023 4:07 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

Matters wrote:
JuanHamm wrote:
Matters wrote:
blueviper wrote:

JuanHamm wrote:

Why not?

For the most part I disagree, but I understand

PostPosted: Sat July 22, 2023 4:10 am 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

spike wrote:
they're telling their employees they can't wear masks, not their customers.

In some places costumers have been asked to remove masks when entering businesses. (unrelated to the In n Out story)

https://time.com/6261185/new-york-face-mask-bans/

PostPosted: Sat July 22, 2023 12:45 pm 
The Master

B_i, I think your posts the last few pages pose little sway in this slightly post-Covid environment. Perceptions have changed so much.

PostPosted: Sat July 22, 2023 1:31 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

I thought we’d determine masks don’t work.

PostPosted: Sat July 22, 2023 1:35 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

lennytheweedwhacker wrote:
B_i, I think your posts the last few pages pose little sway in this slightly post-Covid environment. Perceptions have changed so much.

If you mean that "masking" is perceived through the right/left political binary vs the sick/healthy binary, sure that is some folks. But IMO it's the same visceral reaction to the threat of communicable disease that powers it and businesses, agree with it or not, are gonna make the decision that brings in and keeps customers. For food service, it's gonna anything that maintains the illusion that there is not a real disease threat there with or without COVID. How many Hepatitis positive workers are in commercial kitchens all over the country right now? Remember typhoid and lettuce from McDonalds? Norovirus on cruise ships. Salmonella. Parasites. The risk is always there, always been there, COVID was was just when it was politicized and mass marketed.

PostPosted: Sat July 22, 2023 1:46 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

How do you guys feel about food service employees wearing hair or beard nets? Gloves?

Is that off-putting? Does it give off a perception of disease or illness to customers?

PostPosted: Sat July 22, 2023 5:51 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

dad wrote:
How do you guys feel about food service employees wearing hair or beard nets? Gloves?

Is that off-putting? Does it give off a perception of disease or illness to customers?

I think because of the proximity to the pandemic and how central masks were to mitigations they have a different association in folks minds. But if you were in Chilis and you saw your server in a hairnet and gloves, most folks would think something was off.

PostPosted: Sat July 22, 2023 6:09 pm 
The Master

Bi_3 wrote:
lennytheweedwhacker wrote:

If you mean that "masking" is perceived through the right/left political binary vs the sick/healthy binary, sure that is some folks. But IMO it's the same visceral reaction to the threat of communicable disease that powers it and businesses, agree with it or not, are gonna make the decision that brings in and keeps customers. For food service, it's gonna anything that maintains the illusion that there is not a real disease threat there with or without COVID. How many Hepatitis positive workers are in commercial kitchens all over the country right now? Remember typhoid and lettuce from McDonalds? Norovirus on cruise ships. Salmonella. Parasites. The risk is always there, always been there, COVID was was just when it was politicized and mass marketed.

Whether rational or not (I don't care either way), I think your last sentence is why perceptions are and will to some extent color this.

If it's someone wearing a mask only working the register, I would guess the majority of customers wouldn't think much of it. If they see someone in the back on the line or whatever, sure that's a little different. But only the really paranoid people will actively look for that.

I've only talked to a few million people, but in discussing food, safety, etc...I have heard very little about concerns with a masked food service worker.

But again, at this stage I think it's a small minority of extremists that will have a come apart over this. And I for sure agree on businesses and how they will make their decisions. I will just be surprised if the norm is restaurants banning them.

PostPosted: Sat July 22, 2023 8:14 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

I have a problem with calling a "rational/irrational spectrum" a "left/right binary."

I mean rational people say, "you can wear a mask if you want. It might reduce disease transmission," and the right pees their pants when someone reminds them that masks exist.

PostPosted: Sat July 22, 2023 8:24 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

I left a restaurant recently because I saw a woman in the kitchen hacking and coughing without even covering her mouth with the crook of her arm. That was really gross.

PostPosted: Sat July 22, 2023 10:20 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

Did it make you think about illness and disease?

PostPosted: Sat July 22, 2023 10:29 pm 
The Master

Yes he left out that she was also a leper.

PostPosted: Sat July 22, 2023 11:00 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Back to reality for a bit…. Evidence from the congressional committee investigating the origins of COVID was leaked, including slack messages from the premier virologists involved in the “Proximal Origins” paper (remember pangolins?) that was published in Nature and was used by Fauci in both press conferences and sworn testimony to dismiss the lab leak theory as a conspiracy. Here’s what they said to each other in private prior to Fauci asking them to write the paper:

PostPosted: Sun July 23, 2023 12:35 am 
See you in another life, brother

A Fauci indictment must be imminent then, right?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19045 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 940, 941, 942, 943, 944, 945, 946 ... 953  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate