The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19045 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 922, 923, 924, 925, 926, 927, 928 ... 953  Next
 Post subject: Re: Anybody want a Corona?
PostPosted: Thu December 08, 2022 9:49 am 
The Master

Bammer wrote:
spike wrote:
Bammer wrote:
spike wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:

Bigger economic class issues laid bare by Covid.

No one’s going to be made accountable for trying to save lives.

This sounds like a solid plan. No accountability as long as you do _________ in the name of __________.

Would you be looking for accountability for the millions more dead if we’d done things differently?

Jesus christ man you are such a fucking loser

It’s a valid question, but dodge away.

PostPosted: Thu December 08, 2022 10:35 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

Bammer calling anyone a loser is rich

PostPosted: Thu December 08, 2022 11:56 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

Bi_3 wrote:
B wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
Stickman wrote:
Kids hospitals are all overun here with COVID, Flu and RSV. And the idiot in charge has made a law against instituting mask mandates in schools.

Isn’t part of the reason this is an issue is because of all the masking?

You mean flu, RSV, and COVID are spreading because of people wearing masks?

No dummy, we lost two years of immunity from actively fighting respiratory viruses.

but...but...but...masks dont work. surely that cant be the reason. if masks worked it would protect us from respiratory viruses and we all know how everyone on the left said masks dont work

PostPosted: Thu December 08, 2022 1:49 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

The simplest answer is an increase of "risky" behavior and a decrease in vaccination rates.

Stuff like unboosted coaches refusing to mask when in crowded gyms.

PostPosted: Thu December 08, 2022 1:53 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

warehouse wrote:
how do you know the long term effects on kids after such short amount of time? does the article take into consideration school shooting's effects on kids mental health? that whole tweet is weird

It’s multivariate, the effects of school closures were like the straw that broke the camel’s back:

But it’s impossible to argue that we did not put the lives of adults ahead of the lives of children. Maybe that lowered COVID deaths. Maybe. But it came at a huge cost to the most vulnerable in society.

PostPosted: Thu December 08, 2022 2:51 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

Bi_3 wrote:
"The CDC found 45 pct of high school students were so persistently sad or hopeless in 2021 they were unable to engage in regular activities. Almost 1 in 5 seriously considered suicide and 9 pct surveyed tried to take their lives during previous 12 months."

I'm not going to argue that this sort of thing isn't a problem, but what were those percentages in 2019?

PostPosted: Thu December 08, 2022 2:53 pm 
mXn

spike wrote:
Bammer wrote:
spike wrote:
Bammer wrote:
spike wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:

This sounds like a solid plan. No accountability as long as you do _________ in the name of __________.

Would you be looking for accountability for the millions more dead if we’d done things differently?

Jesus christ man you are such a fucking loser

It’s a valid question, but dodge away.

Sorry about the loser comment.

To answer your question; No.

PostPosted: Thu December 08, 2022 3:14 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

B wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
"The CDC found 45 pct of high school students were so persistently sad or hopeless in 2021 they were unable to engage in regular activities. Almost 1 in 5 seriously considered suicide and 9 pct surveyed tried to take their lives during previous 12 months."

I'm not going to argue that this sort of thing isn't a problem, but what were those percentages in 2019?

Nevermind. I found it. Persistent feeling of sad and hopelessness is up from 37% in 2019, but suicide consideration and attempts are constant. In fact, so much so, that I wonder if the Washington Post isn't using 2019 numbers for those stats. They were exactly 20% and 9% in 2019.

chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/https://www.cdc.gov/healthyyouth/data/yrbs/pdf/YRBSDataSummaryTrendsReport2019-508.pdf

Anyhow, good to know we can address those feelings before they start to translate into an increase in suicides.

PostPosted: Thu December 08, 2022 5:59 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

spike wrote:
Bammer wrote:
spike wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
<snip>

This is a false dichotomy. There is no evidence that such a thing would have happened if schools had be opened earlier. Several states did, as did most of the EU, and there was no evidence of anything that would have resulted in millions more dead from COVID. The jury is still out on how many lives were permanently damaged by the lockdowns and school closures.

PostPosted: Thu December 08, 2022 6:08 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Again, it's not an easy thing to understand and measure, but there is strong evidence of harm done from isolation and other COVID 'mitigations' done to protect adults at the expense of children: https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/24/us/p ... virus.html

But if you'd like to hear the Other Side:

Solid argument.

PostPosted: Thu December 08, 2022 6:48 pm 
Rank This Poster

not to be mean, this opinion is probably more of a result of being old, but considering the pandemic in historical context, what did those numbers look like during Vietnam? the great depression? i don't want to be the heartless old white guy saying "toughen up"....but at the same time i kinda do lol.

i know this is the view of a middle aged, middle class straight white male. i never had to worry about anyone bringing guns to school the way kids do now. or soul-draining social media addiction.

PostPosted: Thu December 08, 2022 8:02 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

warehouse wrote:
not to be mean, this opinion is probably more of a result of being old, but considering the pandemic in historical context, what did those numbers look like during Vietnam? the great depression? i don't want to be the heartless old white guy saying "toughen up"....but at the same time i kinda do lol.

i know this is the view of a middle aged, middle class straight white male. i never had to worry about anyone bringing guns to school the way kids do now. or soul-draining social media addiction.

cant you at least commiserate with the youth of philidelphia over the shared experience of never seeing the Flyers win a cup?

PostPosted: Thu December 08, 2022 8:32 pm 
mXn

Peeps wrote:
Bammer calling anyone a loser is rich

Peeps, you’ve really turned on me. :(

Show us on the doll where the Bammer account hurt you.

PostPosted: Thu December 08, 2022 8:49 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

Bi_3 wrote:
Again, it's not an easy thing to understand and measure, but there is strong evidence of harm done from isolation and other COVID 'mitigations' done to protect adults at the expense of children: https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/24/us/p ... virus.html

But if you'd like to hear the Other Side:

Solid argument.

I can't review the New York Times' side because I'm poor.

Quote:
Special offer:
Get unlimited access for $1 a week.
$4.25 $1/week
Billed as $17 $4 every 4 weeks for one year
You can cancel anytime.
SUBSCRIBE NOW

Seriously though, I know you want to jail people who kept schools closed, but couldn't we instead jail people that did not provide funding for counseling and support. Mental health suffered in COVID due to dozens of factors, but you seem to only focus on one.

PostPosted: Thu December 08, 2022 8:52 pm 
mXn

That guy Elie Mystal seems like a person who wants everyone to shelter in place from now until the end of time and it’s honestly kind of a dick move that he uses a profile picture of himself outside. Stay home my man, stay home.

PostPosted: Thu December 08, 2022 9:16 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

Bammer wrote:
That guy Elie Mystal seems like a person who wants everyone to shelter in place from now until the end of time and it’s honestly kind of a dick move that he uses a profile picture of himself outside. Stay home my man, stay home.

That's an old post, but yeah, at the point he made that post, any school-aged kid had access to the vaccine. Pretty hard to justify keeping schools closed that late in the game.

Maybe because he's Black, and COVID killed a lot more Black people.

I don't know. Vaccine mandates would have gone a long way toward opening schools.

PostPosted: Thu December 08, 2022 9:32 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

B wrote:
Bammer wrote:

That's an old post, but yeah, at the point he made that post, any school-aged kid had access to the vaccine. Pretty hard to justify keeping schools closed that late in the game.

I don't know. Vaccine mandates would have gone a long way toward opening schools.

By the time the vaccine was approved for school-aged minors we knew there was basically no risk. Total deaths in the 5-18 range since the start of the pandemic in Dec.2020 are less than 1,000 (out of 54 million kids).

PostPosted: Thu December 08, 2022 9:39 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Rangi Guy wrote:
spike wrote:
This shit again…

I would just like to say that these two are on the fringes of NZ society

Seems like the High Court took over the matter and the baby is getting its needed heart surgery - despite the parents best efforts

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/health/300760872/blood-donor-case-protest-as-baby-has-heart-surgery-against-parents-wishes

Last edited by Rangi Guy on Thu December 08, 2022 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu December 08, 2022 9:48 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

The parents are obviously idiots (they even went on Alex Jones' show), which doesn't bode well for the child's future, but at least the surgery will go ahead.

PostPosted: Thu December 08, 2022 11:34 pm 
mXn

B wrote:
Bammer wrote:

Honest question, B: Are you capable of forming a thought, opinion, response, etc., without injecting the race card in some form or fashion?

“Well the guy is black so I’ll go ahead and assume he’s saying whatever he’s saying based solely on the fact that he’s black and there are no other contributing factors to his statement.”

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19045 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 922, 923, 924, 925, 926, 927, 928 ... 953  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate