The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19045 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 835, 836, 837, 838, 839, 840, 841 ... 953  Next
 Post subject: Re: Anybody want a Corona?
PostPosted: Mon January 24, 2022 5:07 pm 
The Master

One of my nephews in Australia tested positive yesterday. My wife’s entire fam will probably be in iso when we arrive next week.

PostPosted: Mon January 24, 2022 5:33 pm 
The Master

spike wrote:
One of my nephews in Australia tested positive yesterday. My wife’s entire fam will probably be in iso when we arrive next week.

I’m sorry for your loss.

PostPosted: Mon January 24, 2022 5:37 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

spike wrote:

more wild boar for you

PostPosted: Mon January 24, 2022 6:06 pm 
The Master

lennytheweedwhacker wrote:
spike wrote:

I’m sorry for your loss.

Hilarious.

Production Police

Thanks for your reasoned response, McP. I appreciate that even though you disagree with my view, you took the time to spoiler it all the same.

FWIW, the photo -- along with the arguments that followed, and the related fears I have around my daughter and other loves ones living in this world -- kept me wide awake from about 4am onward today. So this is not a hypothetical for me, and maybe some other posters: Upsetting imagery can be really invasive to our sense of security, and I don't think it's out of line to ask posters to practice a little prudence around this.

I don't think I have anything else to say on the matter.

Production Police

sorry Anders! I hope everyone pulls through ok.

Alex

PostPosted: Mon January 24, 2022 6:08 pm 
The Master

Your Christian name is Alex?

PostPosted: Mon January 24, 2022 6:14 pm 
The Master

Trag I think part of the problem for one is that’s almost impossible to know what is going to be an issue or trigger for just one individual, but your responses to people and general tone didn’t help garner sympathy or empathy.

PostPosted: Mon January 24, 2022 6:20 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

tragabigzanda wrote:

Alex

Thank you, I hope so too. My daughter, who turns two on Saturday, got it first. She has barely had any symptoms, just some fever, and a sneeze once in a while, despite being too young to get vaccinated.

PostPosted: Mon January 24, 2022 6:26 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

tragabigzanda wrote:
Thanks for your reasoned response, McP. I appreciate that even though you disagree with my view, you took the time to spoiler it all the same.

FWIW, the photo -- along with the arguments that followed, and the related fears I have around my daughter and other loves ones living in this world -- kept me wide awake from about 4am onward today. So this is not a hypothetical for me, and maybe some other posters: Upsetting imagery can be really invasive to our sense of security, and I don't think it's out of line to ask posters to practice a little prudence around this.

I can think of one thing you could say.

PostPosted: Mon January 24, 2022 6:28 pm 
The Master

Anders wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

Alex

Thank you, I hope so too. My daughter, who turns two on Saturday, got it first. She has barely had any symptoms, just some fever, and a sneeze once in a while, despite being too young to get vaccinated.

Glad she’s powering through, Anders. My daughter is a few weeks younger than yours, and she handled it fine.

PostPosted: Mon January 24, 2022 7:11 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

my father tested positive. considering that my parents basically relegated themselves to simply paying lip service to what they know to be the correct prevention, they pretty much went about their days as if covid is a relic of the past since they got vaccinated (no masks; hanging out with unvaxxed relatives, etc.). it finally caught up with my dad. he's got mild(er) symptoms, but still it's hard not to be judgmental and a tad bit angry.

PostPosted: Mon January 24, 2022 7:12 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Chris_H_2 wrote:
my father tested positive. considering that my parents basically relegated themselves to simply paying lip service to what they know to be the correct prevention, they pretty much went about their days as if covid is a relic of the past since they got vaccinated (no masks; hanging out with unvaxxed relatives, etc.). it finally caught up with my dad. he's got mild(er) symptoms, but still it's hard not to be judgmental and a tad bit angry.

My parents are behaving similarly (they won't even get the booster), and I'm too exhausted to cajole them anymore, so it's only a matter of time at this point. Hoping it stays mild for your dad.

PostPosted: Mon January 24, 2022 7:15 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Mickey wrote:
Chris_H_2 wrote:

My parents are behaving similarly (they won't even get the booster), and I'm too exhausted to cajole them anymore, so it's only a matter of time at this point. Hoping it stays mild for your dad.

thanks mickey.

it's just so frustrating and, at the same time, exhausting -- i'm constantly reminding them (er lecturing them) what they need to be doing to keep safe. After awhile they just tune me out and try to change the subject.

PostPosted: Mon January 24, 2022 7:26 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Chris_H_2 wrote:
Mickey wrote:
Chris_H_2 wrote:

thanks mickey.

it's just so frustrating and, at the same time, exhausting -- i'm constantly reminding them (er lecturing them) what they need to be doing to keep safe. After awhile they just tune me out and try to change the subject.

What do you expect them to do?

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Mon January 24, 2022 7:38 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

BurtReynolds wrote:
Chris_H_2 wrote:
Mickey wrote:
Chris_H_2 wrote:

thanks mickey.

It's tough. My parents are vaxxed, boosted and masked, but that's not really going to keep you from getting Covid anymore.

At this point we've all done all we can. We've got as much protection as we're going to get and we've now been dealt a favorable strain.

My parents aren't getting any younger and they've decided that the risk is now low enough that they can pretty much go back to normal (with masks still)

My sister's kids are in public school and we're a close family so it's pretty much inevitable now anyway.

PostPosted: Mon January 24, 2022 7:55 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

If I were ancient I'd get vaxxed and boosted, but otherwise live what life I had left. Not living your life or not hanging out with your friends is a much bigger deal when you're old than young.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Mon January 24, 2022 7:56 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

BurtReynolds wrote:
Chris_H_2 wrote:
Mickey wrote:
Chris_H_2 wrote:

thanks mickey.

simple things, while not 100% guaranteed to prevent it, help -- like masking up when going to the grocery store or not hanging out indoors and unmasked with my anti-vaxer aunt and their anti-vaxer friends who never once masked up through this whole thing, all the while thinking that because they're vaxed, they're immune. They're in their mid-70's. The vaccine is not foolproof way to avoid getting really, really sick. They know this. But yet . . .

PostPosted: Mon January 24, 2022 8:05 pm 
Production Police

Mickey wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

I can think of one thing you could say.

Man, I am really sorry about your struggles with having a child. We had two miscarriages, both early term, and the general feeling was one of futility and sadness; I can't even imagine what five would feel like.

As for the adoption challenges, I don't fully understand what the roadblocks are there, so I'll just reiterate what I've shared privately in the past: I am sorry, and I hope you guys find a path to being parents together.

PostPosted: Mon January 24, 2022 8:07 pm 
mXn

JuanHamm wrote:
vaxxed, boosted and masked, but that's not really going to keep you from getting Covid anymore.

At this point we've all done all we can. We've got as much protection as we're going to get and we've now been dealt a favorable strain.

…it's pretty much inevitable now anyway.

Welcome to the party, JuanHamm.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19045 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 835, 836, 837, 838, 839, 840, 841 ... 953  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate