The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19045 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 382, 383, 384, 385, 386, 387, 388 ... 953  Next
 Post subject: Re: Anybody want a Corona?
PostPosted: Sun August 02, 2020 5:04 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

cutuphalfdead wrote:
Remember, this is all because the President thought it would hurt blue states more than red states.

Well, only after he found out it would not, in fact, "disappear."

PostPosted: Sun August 02, 2020 5:15 pm 
for those who
are not...shall be

B wrote:
Funding is the major problem here.

How do you offer a safe school to your teachers and students if you have no new money for barriers, cleaning supplies, PPE, and spacing?

Hell, in a normal year, the school doesn't provide Clorox wipes, and they made no promise to provide them before asking teachers if they were willing to teach in person.

My wife also made a great point about Kindergarten. 85% of the parents at her school signed their kids up for a hybrid model, where they will drop off their kids all day with a faceless teacher they've never met who can't smile, can't help them tie their shoes, and can't hug them when they're scared. Oh, and stay 6 feet away from all these strange kids you've never met too or you might die.

"Why are you crying little 5-year-old?"

I was thinking about this the other day -- I pity all the moms, and dads that are sending their first kid off to kindergarten this year. Holy :censored: . That's harrowing enough without the Covid. I would probably be seriously considering holding them back a year and hoping that in a year, this situation will improve.

PostPosted: Sun August 02, 2020 5:29 pm 
Posting (live)

My daughter started in February. She had 5 weeks of normal schooling before a single day a week then home schooling. Fortunately she's a second child and knew the school routines etc from her brother's time at school. But 5 year olds can't effectively learn via zoom. Kindergarten is all about social cues and interaction. It's singing songs and hearing rhymes.

PostPosted: Sun August 02, 2020 5:33 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

knee tunes wrote:
B wrote:

How do you offer a safe school to your teachers and students if you have no new money for barriers, cleaning supplies, PPE, and spacing?

Hell, in a normal year, the school doesn't provide Clorox wipes, and they made no promise to provide them before asking teachers if they were willing to teach in person.

My wife also made a great point about Kindergarten. 85% of the parents at her school signed their kids up for a hybrid model, where they will drop off their kids all day with a faceless teacher they've never met who can't smile, can't help them tie their shoes, and can't hug them when they're scared. Oh, and stay 6 feet away from all these strange kids you've never met too or you might die.

I was thinking about this the other day -- I pity all the moms, and dads that are sending their first kid off to kindergarten this year. Holy :censored: . That's harrowing enough without the Covid. I would probably be seriously considering holding them back a year and hoping that in a year, this situation will improve.

We are lucky we've got a bunch of private Ks in the area that are affordable with acceptable saftey processes (3x classroom scrub downs daily, kids change shoes when entering, change masks a couple of times a day, no more than 8 kids in a room, etc.). It's still a risk but we've got three doctors (one from NIH) sending their kids there so we are gonna see how it goes.

PostPosted: Sun August 02, 2020 5:40 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Bi_3 wrote:
knee tunes wrote:
B wrote:

We are lucky we've got a bunch of private Ks in the area that are affordable with acceptable saftey processes (3x classroom scrub downs daily, kids change shoes when entering, change masks a couple of times a day, no more than 8 kids in a room, etc.). It's still a risk but we've got three doctors (one from NIH) sending their kids there so we are gonna see how it goes.
must be nice...

PostPosted: Sun August 02, 2020 5:59 pm 
for those who
are not...shall be

Bi_3 wrote:
knee tunes wrote:
B wrote:

That shoe thing sounds new.

I rremember reading that hospital feet might shuffle the corona around a bit though...not normal feet though

PostPosted: Sun August 02, 2020 10:39 pm 
TIER 1 Essential Critical Infrastructure Worker

Our first day back to school was supposed to be tomorrow. We've started in early August for years so that the semester break is over the Christmas break. Then the start was pushed back to August 17th in the classroom. Classes still start that day but will be online only through at least Sept. 28.

PostPosted: Sun August 02, 2020 10:59 pm 

Remember the heart breaking video from three weeks ago with the 90 year man in full PPE telling his wife goodbye as she gasps for air while dying from Covid? They had been separated for months while she was in the hospital but the hospital allowed him into her room to say goodbye.
He passed this past weekend, also from Covid, in the same hospital room.
https://abcnews.go.com/US/touching-video-shows-90-year-man-final-goodbyes/story?id=71852607

Last edited by Biff Pocoroba on Mon August 03, 2020 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun August 02, 2020 11:09 pm 
Poster of the Year

Yeah but they were old and would have died anyway so it's really not fair to count them towards covid deaths.

PostPosted: Mon August 03, 2020 12:00 am 

The Australian state of Victoria is enforcing new stricter guidelines due to Covid. Not only are schools, restaurants, and bars closed in Melbourne only one person per household will be allowed to leave their homes to get essentials within a 5km (just over 3 miles) radius of their homes. This is similar to restrictions that was found in much of Europe earlier this year.
Victoria has the highest Covid numbers in Australia with 11,557 infections and 123 deaths. By comparison 39 US states have higher cases and 11 have 10 times more. The District of Columbia alone has over 12,000 confirmed cases.

PostPosted: Mon August 03, 2020 12:43 am 
Mind Your Tanners

Three-Quarters of Recovered Coronavirus Patients Have Heart Damage Months Later, Study Finds

PostPosted: Mon August 03, 2020 12:52 am 
Rank This Poster

Biff Pocoroba wrote:
The Australian state of Victoria is enforcing new stricter guidelines due to Covid. Not only are schools, restaurants, and bars closed in Melbourne only one person per household will be allowed to leave their homes to get essentials within a 5km (just over 3 miles) radius of their homes. This is similar to restrictions that was found in much of Europe earlier this year.
Victoria has the highest Covid numbers in Australia with 11,557 infections and 123 deaths. By comparison 39 US states have higher cases and 11 have 10 times more. The District of Columbia alone has over 12,000 confirmed cases.

It’s about to get worse, my district is starting in person (and online) school tomorrow. So in about 3 weeks a lot of those kids and teacher are going to be sick.

PostPosted: Mon August 03, 2020 12:54 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

awesome

looks like those were all people hospital-admitted though

i wonder what the deal is for worker bees that got it on their commute in Feb and thought it was just a winter cold and wasn't bad enough to go to see a Dr

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

PostPosted: Mon August 03, 2020 1:38 am 

Stickman wrote:

As someone who has tested positive but have recovered this is something I am concerned with now; what (if anything) medical effects will I have down the road.

PostPosted: Mon August 03, 2020 1:48 am 
Rank This Poster

96583UP wrote:
awesome

i wonder what the deal is for worker bees that got it on their commute in Feb and thought it was just a winter cold and wasn't bad enough to go to see a Dr

"Most of the COVID-19 patients had recovered at home, while 33 had to be hospitalized at some point in their illness."

PostPosted: Mon August 03, 2020 1:55 am 
Mind Your Tanners

Biff Pocoroba wrote:
Stickman wrote:

As someone who has tested positive but have recovered this is something I am concerned with now; what (if anything) medical effects will I have down the road.

Seconded.

PostPosted: Mon August 03, 2020 2:02 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-07-31/japan-acted-like-the-virus-had-gone-now-it-s-spread-everywhere

<grumbling sound>

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

PostPosted: Mon August 03, 2020 2:02 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

philpritchard wrote:
96583UP wrote:
awesome

"Most of the COVID-19 patients had recovered at home, while 33 had to be hospitalized at some point in their illness."

awesomer

<grumbling sound>

PostPosted: Mon August 03, 2020 10:45 am 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

B wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
Mickey wrote:
Also sarcasm. I expect universities to be worse.

UNC isn't going to actively test. And they have one dorm set aside for quarantine. But if students don't show any symptoms, I wonder how they'll keep track of it?

Chapel Hill is fucked.

UNC Launches Coronavirus Tracker, More Than 100 Students Already Test Positive

https://chapelboro.com/news/coronavirus ... t-positive

PostPosted: Mon August 03, 2020 4:10 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

B wrote:
B wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
Mickey wrote:
Also sarcasm. I expect universities to be worse.

UNC isn't going to actively test. And they have one dorm set aside for quarantine. But if students don't show any symptoms, I wonder how they'll keep track of it?

Chapel Hill is fucked.

UNC Launches Coronavirus Tracker, More Than 100 Students Already Test Positive

https://chapelboro.com/news/coronavirus ... t-positive

When asked for comments, the students replied "Duke suuuuuuuucks"

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19045 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 382, 383, 384, 385, 386, 387, 388 ... 953  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate