The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19045 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 559, 560, 561, 562, 563, 564, 565 ... 953  Next
 Post subject: Re: Anybody want a Corona?
PostPosted: Tue April 13, 2021 4:40 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

verb_to_trust wrote:
B wrote:
verb_to_trust wrote:
B wrote:
verb_to_trust wrote:
A lot of people are going to be done with J and J now. I don't think some government stiff coming out in a few days saying all good will change that.

Can't save the unsavable.

If I'm a 25 year old otherwise healthy woman and I read that this thing can cause me to have a rare clotting reaction what's the upside of me taking it? The public health mafia refuses to admit you can live your life normally and not spread the virus after vaccinating. Plus, you're probably going to shake off covid pretty easily where a blood clot in your brain not so much.

COVID-19 kills 1.5 out of 100 people who get it. The vaccine MIGHT kill 1 in 6.8 million.

I don't know what the research will bear out, but you're talking about people that have already made the decision, no data in hand, and whether the research that happens this week will change their mind. It will not.

Adjust your numbers for age and co morbidities. Maybe mathematically you should still get the vaccine but why bother at that point? Why take any risk at all to eliminate risk that is already astronomically low?

Does this 25 year old healthy woman also skip the standard birth control pill, which causes a much higher rate of blood clot issues? Or is she just a dipshit reactionary like you?

PostPosted: Tue April 13, 2021 4:43 pm 
Gone

Ok

I guess what I'm going to take from our exchange is that it is okay to shit your pants and shut the world down because of a virus with an extremely low risk profile for the young and healthy but NOT okay to feel the same when confronted with this clotting concern with J and J.

Clown world shit.

Last edited by verb_to_trust on Tue April 13, 2021 4:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue April 13, 2021 4:43 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

I want to distance myself from Mickey's response, please. I'm just encouraging waiting a couple of days to find out whether or not the clotting is more frequent, specific to people with some sort of underlying issue, or related to the vaccine at all, before deciding how to proceed.

PostPosted: Tue April 13, 2021 4:50 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

verb_to_trust wrote:
Ok

I guess what I'm going to take from our exchange is that it is okay to shit your pants and shut the world down because of a virus with an extremely low risk profile for the young and healthy but NOT okay to feel the same when confronted with this clotting concern with J and J.

Clown world shit.

By all means, if clotting poses a specific health risk to you, make sure you get the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines! And also think about medicines which increase the risk of blood clots more broadly! But I'm not going to honor pick-and-choose skepticism that ignores how vaccines work (herd immunity, not personal immunity!) and therefore ultimately covers for smooth brained anti-vaxxer shit.

PostPosted: Tue April 13, 2021 4:56 pm 
Gone

Mickey wrote:
verb_to_trust wrote:
Ok

Clown world shit.

By all means, if clotting poses a specific health risk to you, make sure you get the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines! And also think about medicines which increase the risk of blood clots more broadly! But I'm not going to honor pick-and-choose skepticism that ignores how vaccines work (herd immunity, not personal immunity!) and therefore ultimately covers for smooth brained anti-vaxxer shit.

You don't have to be anti vax to see no upside in taking the vaccine if you have the right health profile, and the public health dipshits won't even admit that the vaccine works to try and get these people on board anyway.

PostPosted: Tue April 13, 2021 5:03 pm 
Future Drummer

Mickey wrote:
But I'm not going to honor pick-and-choose skepticism that ignores how vaccines work (herd immunity, not personal immunity!) and therefore ultimately covers for smooth brained anti-vaxxer shit.
Except we are continually being told that these Covid vaccines will not provide any sort of herd immunity. They will only lessen your symptoms, meaning the virus thrives and will be passed onto those who cannot take the vaccine or have comorbidities that may mean when they get Covid (which they will as there is no vaccine maker or government agency claiming any vaccine will prevent getting Covid) they may get seriously sick, possibly hospitalized and even die.

Maybe they should stop calling these vaccines, when they are much more the equivalent of a fly shot.

PostPosted: Tue April 13, 2021 5:04 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Yup, no upside at all. Brilliant.

PostPosted: Tue April 13, 2021 5:09 pm 
Gone

Mickey wrote:
Yup, no upside at all. Brilliant.

It's not a one size fits all scenario. Not sure why this is hard to admit.

PostPosted: Tue April 13, 2021 5:17 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

B wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
B wrote:
4/5 wrote:
6 people out of 4 million doses administered. Surely, I must be missing something.

Vaccines are watched SUPER carefully. The bar is low for pausing and investigating. They pulled the rotavirus vaccine in the 90s after 11 cases of intussusception among many millions of doses administered.

It's strange given the number of people dying daily from COVID-19 that they would pull it. If those stats hold, you're about 7x more likely to get hit by lightening during your life, and with summer break almost here we need more people vaccinated now.

Plus: since we will all need boosters this winter, the more one-shot solutions out there the better.

It's a pause. They take a couple days to reassure the public. Otherwise, people call foul and even more refuse to get vaccinated.

Showing this vigilance is important for touting the safety of this and all other vaccines.

Not suggesting this is in any way up to you, but this seems like legacy thinking from when the evening news could control the message. The first thing most people did when they heard the issue was check facebook/twitter/etc to see who they know who had that shot, not check the CDC's website for a detailed explanation of the rationale behind the decision. The misinformation you cite is gonna be there "pause" or not and those susceptible to the anti-vax messaging will spin this to something like "see, the government doesnt test these and now they have to halt them. you are the test subject so big pharma can profit!", while the anti-lockdown people will say "see, the government doesnt want us vaccinated so quickly that they lose their new ability to control our lives. Look what happened in Europe, back to lockdowns and Biden is jealous!". As the feds you're not gonna win that fight and will only cause more issues with an already fragile distribution system.

PostPosted: Tue April 13, 2021 5:25 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

does anyone else find the irony in verbs username considering he trusts absolutely nothing and no one?

PostPosted: Tue April 13, 2021 5:27 pm 
Future Drummer

Peeps wrote:
does anyone else find the irony in verbs username considering he trusts absolutely nothing and no one?

Yea, he wishes he was a verb to trust.

PostPosted: Tue April 13, 2021 5:58 pm 
The Master

surfndestroy wrote:
Mickey wrote:
But I'm not going to honor pick-and-choose skepticism that ignores how vaccines work (herd immunity, not personal immunity!) and therefore ultimately covers for smooth brained anti-vaxxer shit.
Except we are continually being told that these Covid vaccines will not provide any sort of herd immunity. They will only lessen your symptoms, meaning the virus thrives and will be passed onto those who cannot take the vaccine or have comorbidities that may mean when they get Covid (which they will as there is no vaccine maker or government agency claiming any vaccine will prevent getting Covid) they may get seriously sick, possibly hospitalized and even die.

Maybe they should stop calling these vaccines, when they are much more the equivalent of a fly shot.

lol wut

PostPosted: Tue April 13, 2021 6:00 pm 
Future Drummer

spike wrote:
surfndestroy wrote:
Mickey wrote:

lol wut

Name anyone who says any of the Covid vaccines prevent you from getting Covid? or even slow the spread of Covid? They lessen the symptoms when you get it. That means, like the flu Covid is here to stay unless they come up with a true vaccine. It also means that like the flu people will die of Covid every year.

Last edited by surfndestroy on Tue April 13, 2021 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue April 13, 2021 6:05 pm 
Gone

Spike reads studies guys. That's why he is allowed to lol wut

PostPosted: Tue April 13, 2021 6:13 pm 
The Master

surfndestroy wrote:
spike wrote:
surfndestroy wrote:
Mickey wrote:

lol wut

Name anyone who says any of the Covid vaccines prevent you from getting Covid? or even slow the spread of spread? They lessen the symptoms when you get it. That means, like the flu Covid is here to stay unless they come up with a true vaccine. It also means that like the flu people will die of Covid every year.

no vaccine has ever been 100% effective, it's not how it works. rather, the idea is you protect a population enough that the virus can't run rampant, like covid has. and it's always been known that covid-19 would never be considered completely eradicated, at least not anytime soon.

PostPosted: Tue April 13, 2021 6:15 pm 
See you in another life, brother

spike wrote:
and it's always been known that covid-19 would never be considered completely eradicated.

So you admit you agree with verb!!

PostPosted: Tue April 13, 2021 6:17 pm 
The Master

4/5 wrote:
spike wrote:
and it's always been known that covid-19 would never be considered completely eradicated.

i don't agree that it should be used to argue that nothing can or should be done.

PostPosted: Tue April 13, 2021 6:39 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

spike wrote:
4/5 wrote:
spike wrote:

i don't agree that it should be used to argue that nothing can or should be done.

We can only prevent a few million deaths. Why even bother trying?

PostPosted: Tue April 13, 2021 6:54 pm 
Gone

B wrote:
spike wrote:
4/5 wrote:
spike wrote:

We can only prevent a few million deaths. Why even bother trying?

They should make a Marvel movie based on covid mitigations. Really dig into this thirst for heroism people seem to be obsessed with.

PostPosted: Tue April 13, 2021 8:16 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

https://www.mediaite.com/podcasts/the-i ... wuhan-lab/

Quote:
Dr. Sanjay Gupta, a neurosurgeon and CNN’s chief medial correspondent, is my guest on this week’s episode of The Interview.

Gutpa has been a guide for many throughout the Covid-19 crisis. His regular appearances on CNN and his hit podcast — Coronavirus: Fact vs Fiction — have been invaluable sources of information, from the early throes of the pandemic, when we knew less than nothing about it, through to now, when after a year of tragedy, there is cause for optimism.

His latest investigation for CNN is a series of remarkable interviews with the top doctors who handled the U.S. response to the coronavirus under President Donald Trump — including Drs. Anthony Fauci, Deborah Birx and Robert Redfield — which Gupta told me was the product of 20 hours of interviews.

The most noteworthy revelation from those interviews, I thought, was former CDC Director Robert Redfield’s opinion that Covid-19 originated not from a wet market, but accidentally leaked from a lab in Wuhan. Redfield stressed that this was his opinion (but an informed one, given his expertise as a virologist). It nonetheless sparked controversy. China has vehemently denied that the virus could have leaked from a lab, and some in U.S. media have reflexively labeled the theory a conspiracy.

“He’s an experienced virologist. He was also head of the CDC at the time this was happening, which means that in addition to everything that we know, he had access to raw data and raw intelligence that was coming out of China,” Gupta told me. “My point is that it’s a much more informed sort of thing for him to be saying than for anybody who may have expertise in virology, because he has a lot more knowledge and information that he has that maybe he can’t share, but is informing his opinion.”

Gupta said he offered Redfield opportunities to hedge his opinion, but that the former CDC director “really was quite adamant that this was the origin of the virus.”

“There’s reason to suspect that this is the origin of the virus,” Gupta said, pointing out the flaws in the predominant theory that it came from a wet market.

“It’s a big virology lab right in Wuhan that happened to be studying bat coronaviruses. Just from an Occam’s razor standpoint, finding the simplest explanation, it would make sense,” he said, adding, “We still don’t know for certain what the origin is.”

We also spoke about vaccines, and whether the race between inoculation and a potential resurgence of the virus poses a serious threat to our ability to return to normalcy.

Gupta responded to conservative arguments that states like Texas and Florida are evidence against the effectiveness of lockdowns and other mandatory mitigation efforts, and weighed in on how to keep your brain healthy after a year of pandemic.

:|

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19045 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 559, 560, 561, 562, 563, 564, 565 ... 953  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate