The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19045 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 919, 920, 921, 922, 923, 924, 925 ... 953  Next
 Post subject: Re: Anybody want a Corona?
PostPosted: Wed October 26, 2022 12:27 am 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

BurtReynolds wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:
B wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:

That'll get overturned before it even gets out of New York.

New York had to be an asshole and name one of it's lowest courts, "The Supreme Court", causing no end of confusion.

Have seen some idle speculation that they won't appeal, but have yet to see serious legal analysis. Surely a medical intervention has to be effective and achieve the desired outcome in order to be justified on public health grounds. Going to need to strip public health officials of all of their powers to compel if this is not the standard.

Oh is their supreme court not supreme?

Nope. Their Appeals Court is supreme.

PostPosted: Wed October 26, 2022 2:23 pm 
mXn

LOL

PostPosted: Wed October 26, 2022 6:46 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

i know i am being overly cautious considering i help take care of my 92 year old stepfather but if i had to estimate id say about 2.5% of the people in chicago airport walking from L to K had a mask on

PostPosted: Wed October 26, 2022 8:32 pm 
The Master

Peeps wrote:
i know i am being overly cautious considering i help take care of my 92 year old stepfather but if i had to estimate id say about 2.5% of the people in chicago airport walking from L to K had a mask on

you still see a noticeable amount of masks around the city proper, but nowhere else.

PostPosted: Wed October 26, 2022 8:59 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

BurtReynolds wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:
B wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:

That'll get overturned before it even gets out of New York.

New York had to be an asshole and name one of it's lowest courts, "The Supreme Court", causing no end of confusion.

Have seen some idle speculation that they won't appeal, but have yet to see serious legal analysis. Surely a medical intervention has to be effective and achieve the desired outcome in order to be justified on public health grounds. Going to need to strip public health officials of all of their powers to compel if this is not the standard.

Oh is their supreme court not supreme?

no, it's just a regular court -- it does not come with sour cream or tomatoes

PostPosted: Tue November 01, 2022 4:35 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

Shitpoasters were freaking out about COVID in November 2019 and then (reasonably) trying to walk the powers that be back by Summer 2020 at the latest. Weird that shitpoasters were more or less correct throughout the duration. We clearly should put them in charge.

Edit: For the unaware: Matt Parlmer is one of the dudes that raised millions of dollars and bought equipment to make N-95 masks domestically early on and the regulators barely gave him a call back. Just zero urgency in the regulatory agencies to match the insane conditions created by state and local lockdowns.

PostPosted: Tue November 01, 2022 12:21 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

simple schoolboy wrote:

Shitpoasters were freaking out about COVID in November 2019 and then (reasonably) trying to walk the powers that be back by Summer 2020 at the latest. Weird that shitpoasters were more or less correct throughout the duration. We clearly should put them in charge.

Edit: For the unaware: Matt Parlmer is one of the dudes that raised millions of dollars and bought equipment to make N-95 masks domestically early on and the regulators barely gave him a call back. Just zero urgency in the regulatory agencies to match the insane conditions created by state and local lockdowns.

What if I'm also unaware who Charles Lehman and Emily Oster are?

PostPosted: Tue November 01, 2022 12:52 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

B wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:

I don't recall the name Emily Oster either, but the internet seems awful pissed at her right now.

PostPosted: Tue November 01, 2022 7:32 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Bi_3 wrote:
B wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:

I don't recall the name Emily Oster either, but the internet seems awful pissed at her right now.

Of course.

PostPosted: Tue November 01, 2022 8:27 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

Having skimmed that, I suppose it deserves a :roll: but not a :gomez: .

PostPosted: Tue November 01, 2022 10:33 pm 
The Master

guys, no one's going down for literally trying to save lives, even if it was based on little information. but keep dwelling on it.

PostPosted: Wed November 02, 2022 3:24 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

spike wrote:
guys, no one's going down for literally trying to save lives, even if it was based on little information. but keep dwelling on it.

No one is going down for anything, including sending positive patients into nursing homes or maintaining restrictions far past when they could be justified.

There should be a night of the long knives for MPHs, but that's not in the cards. They'll probably be in power enough to turn a bad flu season into economic misery.

PostPosted: Wed November 02, 2022 3:52 am 
The Master

Who sent Covid infected people?

PostPosted: Wed November 02, 2022 4:09 am 
mXn

spike wrote:

Oh cuomon, man

PostPosted: Wed November 02, 2022 4:14 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

spike wrote:

Oh you sweet child of summer. Cuomo, whoever the fuck was in charge of NJ, etc.

Statewide COVID fatalities might have been affected by these choices.

*Technically COVID positive patients convalescing, before they knew or cared about how long they were infectious for. The justification was to clear up hospital beds that didn't actually fill up. (Hospital ships, Samaritan's)

PostPosted: Wed November 02, 2022 5:09 am 
The Master

you dorks probably infected way more people the past few years

PostPosted: Wed November 02, 2022 5:10 am 
for those who
are not...shall be

Anyway, I'm sick.

Thanks dorks

PostPosted: Wed November 02, 2022 11:20 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

Honestly, I still don't understand the nursing home thing. People around here say Whitmer did the same thing. I've never actually looked into it (I'm going to vote for Whitmer either way because Tudor Dixon is an actual crazy person) but it does sound pretty nasty.

PostPosted: Wed November 02, 2022 11:24 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

https://www.bridgemi.com/michigan-healt ... e-strategy

"Among every 1,000 residents in Michigan, 69 died of COVID through August — a rate that falls between the highest death rate — New York’s at 180.2 deaths per 1,000 residents, and the lowest — Alaska’s at 5.7 deaths per 1,000 residents.

The data illustrates that the state’s initial explosion of cases — or the virus’ community spread — has since declined. “Because the state was hard hit, our nursing homes were hit hard as well,” Gordon said

Michigan’s proportion of nursing home deaths among all COVID-19 deaths falls below the national average — 33.2 percent, compared to 38.6 percent nationally.

In the week ended Aug. 23, 1.8 percent of Michigan nursing homes had three or more confirmed COVID cases, compared to 4.7 percent nationally.

In Michigan, a lower percentage of residents in specially assigned regional hubs that accepted COVID patients died from the virus than did residents in other nursing homes — 17 percent, compared to 26 percent."

Sounds like much ado about nothing (at least in Michigan)

PostPosted: Wed November 02, 2022 12:00 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

spike wrote:

I think the reaction to the Oster piece is partially over this type of thing as well (a history professor):

History will be written to make it look like the lockdowns were much ado about nothing, a few weeks of minor inconvenience, if the Osters and Weingartens of the world get their way and the rationale will be that it was just because they were "trying to save lives".

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19045 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 919, 920, 921, 922, 923, 924, 925 ... 953  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate