The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19045 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 842, 843, 844, 845, 846, 847, 848 ... 953  Next
 Post subject: Re: Anybody want a Corona?
PostPosted: Fri February 04, 2022 3:30 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Bammer wrote:
Dammit my quote was off. I said 0.02%.

But Mickey, if you don’t wanna take it from me, you could always just give your pals at Johns Hopkins a ring.

Johns Hopkins isn't in the Ivy League, they're not my friends.

PostPosted: Fri February 04, 2022 3:37 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

Bammer wrote:
B wrote:
Bammer wrote:

But Mickey, if you don’t wanna take it from me, you could always just give your pals at Johns Hopkins a ring.

Who better to assess the health of the nation that Johns Hopkins ... economists!

Who better?

Kamala Harris. Kamala Harris is better. We should all lean on her exclusively.

Are those my two choices for COVID advice? Economists or Kamala Harris? I mean, I'd chose Kamala Harris, but I suspect it'd be better to ask doctors, pharmacists, public health researchers, epidemiologists, and/or virologists.

PostPosted: Fri February 04, 2022 5:26 pm 
See you in another life, brother

B wrote:
Bammer wrote:

Who better to assess the health of the nation that Johns Hopkins ... economists!

Yes, this is exactly the kind of analysis for economists. Economists understand that there are always tradeoffs, costs and benefits to every decision and that to only look at the perceived benefits of a policy and to ignore costs and consequences both intended and unintended is to paint a very misleading picture.

"Doctors, pharmacists, public health researchers, epidemiologists, and/or virologists" are exactly the wrong people to ask about societal impacts of public policy because they are likely to have to narrow a focus on a single goal, in this case reduction of covid cases/death, etc., and often make declarations and recommendations without weighing the costs and benefits.

PostPosted: Fri February 04, 2022 5:30 pm 
mXn

B wrote:
Bammer wrote:
B wrote:
Bammer wrote:

Who better?

Kamala Harris. Kamala Harris is better. We should all lean on her exclusively.

Are those my two choices for COVID advice? Economists or Kamala Harris? I mean, I'd chose Kamala Harris.

:lol:

PostPosted: Fri February 04, 2022 5:31 pm 

All this study does by the way is reaffirm the decades-long scientific consensus that mass lockdowns are not an appropriate response to pandemics and should not even be considered. It's that consensus that was conveniently discarded by some public health figures in March 2020 in those early moments of panic and this study merely is a reminder that those people were very wrong to have done so.

PostPosted: Fri February 04, 2022 5:35 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

4/5 wrote:
All this study does by the way is reaffirm the decades-long scientific consensus that mass lockdowns are not an appropriate response to pandemics and should not even be considered. It's that consensus that was conveniently discarded by some public health figures in March 2020 in those early moments of panic and this study merely is a reminder that those people were very wrong to have done so.

probably because when faced with other pandemics people werent little pussies and cried about having to get a jab or wear a mask in order to fight off said pandemic

PostPosted: Fri February 04, 2022 5:36 pm 

Peeps wrote:
4/5 wrote:

probably because when faced with other pandemics people werent little pussies and cried about having to get a jab or wear a mask in order to fight off said pandemic

Well that can't be because none of that stuff had happened yet.

PostPosted: Fri February 04, 2022 5:37 pm 

But Neil Ferguson says this study is wrong and he's built up a ton of credit being right about everything pandemic related...

PostPosted: Fri February 04, 2022 5:37 pm 
mXn

Peeps wrote:
4/5 wrote:

Mask/vax is not the same as lockdown/close businesses/put thousands of people out of work/close schools/etc.

PostPosted: Fri February 04, 2022 5:39 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Once again this is a case where you have to actually read the article:

Quote:
The only measure that did reflect a positive outcome was closing non-essential businesses, which the team said showed a 10.6 percent reduction in mortality.

PostPosted: Fri February 04, 2022 5:40 pm 
mXn

Mickey wrote:

Quote:
The only measure that did reflect a positive outcome was closing non-essential businesses, which the team said showed a 10.6 percent reduction in mortality.

But the suicides and domestic violence that followed…

PostPosted: Fri February 04, 2022 5:40 pm 

Bammer wrote:
Peeps wrote:
4/5 wrote:

Mask/vax is not the same as lockdown/close businesses/put thousands of people out of work/close schools/etc.

/more domestic violence/more drug overdoes/increase in mental health issues/skipping or not receiving medical care, screenings, etc

PostPosted: Fri February 04, 2022 5:41 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

4/5 wrote:
Peeps wrote:
4/5 wrote:

are you sure?

PostPosted: Fri February 04, 2022 5:42 pm 

Mickey wrote:

Quote:

And that's the biggest "success" and the question remains whether that benefit outweighs the costs.

PostPosted: Fri February 04, 2022 5:42 pm 
mXn

4/5 wrote:
Bammer wrote:
Peeps wrote:
4/5 wrote:

/more domestic violence/more drug overdoes/increase in mental health issues/skipping or not receiving medical care, screenings, etc

Yeah … you lockdown lovers really shouldn’t minimize the uptick in mental health crises. I don’t have the data, but, come on, look around.

PostPosted: Fri February 04, 2022 5:43 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

4/5 wrote:
Mickey wrote:

Quote:

And that's the biggest "success" and the question remains whether that benefit outweighs the costs.

Oh yeah absolutely, I'm not arguing for lockdowns at all, I just think it's a little more complex than it's being painted here by the forum's biggest headline reader.

PostPosted: Fri February 04, 2022 5:43 pm 

Peeps wrote:
4/5 wrote:
Peeps wrote:
4/5 wrote:

are you sure?

In March 2020 in this pandemic the bolded hadn't happened yet. Therefore that could not be the reason why some public health people suddenly and dramatically changed course.

PostPosted: Fri February 04, 2022 5:45 pm 

Mickey wrote:
4/5 wrote:
Mickey wrote:

Quote:

Oh yeah absolutely, I'm not arguing for lockdowns at all, I just think it's a little more complex than it's being painted here by the forum's biggest headline reader.

It is, but I think that study is important and it's unfortunate it isn't getting more play.

PostPosted: Fri February 04, 2022 5:47 pm 
mXn

Mickey wrote:
4/5 wrote:
Mickey wrote:

Quote:

History will look back on all this shit as the wrong response.

PostPosted: Fri February 04, 2022 5:51 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Rank history's wrongest responses.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19045 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 842, 843, 844, 845, 846, 847, 848 ... 953  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate