The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19045 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 388, 389, 390, 391, 392, 393, 394 ... 953  Next
 Post subject: Re: Anybody want a Corona?
PostPosted: Tue August 11, 2020 9:34 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

tragabigzanda wrote:
Mickey wrote:
Just for reference about how off-base you are!

Quote:
Some 73 percent of all faculty positions are off the tenure track, according to a new analysis of federal data by the American Association of University Professors.

“For the most part, these are insecure, unsupported positions with little job security and few protections for academic freedom,” reads AAUP’s “Data Snapshot: Contingent Faculty in U.S. Higher Ed.” The report is based on the most recent data from the Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System, from 2016.

AAUP’s report discusses long-standing concerns about the decline of tenure and what that means for academic freedom, as well as the “casualization” of academic labor and the unbundling of the traditional faculty role. But it also provides an up-to-date picture of who is teaching, under what conditions, where.

Breaking down non-tenure-track positions by institution type, it’s clear that tenure and tenure-track positions are more represented at research-intensive and other four-year institutions, where they are about one-third of the faculty. Tenure-line jobs are about 20 percent of all faculty positions at two-year institutions.

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2018/10/12/about-three-quarters-all-faculty-positions-are-tenure-track-according-new-aaup

??? I'm not arguing against any of this. I WORK a non-tenure tract position at a state university. I know full well that is where the majority of university teaching positions exist. I am paid just above peanuts, because I only have a Bachelor's degree; I enjoy a high degree of flexibility and autonomy. I don't have a problem with that.

Cool, but you've missed the point by a pretty wide margin. If you knew what you were talking about, then you would know that tenure-line positions not only are not responsible for any university budgetary issues (by virtue of being a minority of overall expenditures), but have already been dismantled, that those "maybe one course a year" people you reportedly know are so statistically rare as to functionally not exist. The university system is due for a reckoning, but because of the growing dependence on charging a premium for the on-campus experience and the attendant administrative bloat, the rise of the university as a self-contained ecosystem reliant on student loan debt, wealthy endowments that function as detached hedge funds, alumni donations earmarked for narcissistic capital improvements and athletic programs rather than educational offerings--not because of faculty salaries.

PostPosted: Tue August 11, 2020 9:34 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Russia here to save us all

Quote:
Russian President Vladimir Putin has claimed that Russian scientists achieved a breakthrough in the global vaccine race, announcing that the country has become the first to approve an experimental covid-19 vaccine and that his own daughter has already taken a dose.

PostPosted: Tue August 11, 2020 9:57 pm 
Production Police

Mickey wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Mickey wrote:
Just for reference about how off-base you are!

Quote:
Some 73 percent of all faculty positions are off the tenure track, according to a new analysis of federal data by the American Association of University Professors.

“For the most part, these are insecure, unsupported positions with little job security and few protections for academic freedom,” reads AAUP’s “Data Snapshot: Contingent Faculty in U.S. Higher Ed.” The report is based on the most recent data from the Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System, from 2016.

AAUP’s report discusses long-standing concerns about the decline of tenure and what that means for academic freedom, as well as the “casualization” of academic labor and the unbundling of the traditional faculty role. But it also provides an up-to-date picture of who is teaching, under what conditions, where.

Breaking down non-tenure-track positions by institution type, it’s clear that tenure and tenure-track positions are more represented at research-intensive and other four-year institutions, where they are about one-third of the faculty. Tenure-line jobs are about 20 percent of all faculty positions at two-year institutions.

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2018/10/12/about-three-quarters-all-faculty-positions-are-tenure-track-according-new-aaup

??? I'm not arguing against any of this. I WORK a non-tenure tract position at a state university. I know full well that is where the majority of university teaching positions exist. I am paid just above peanuts, because I only have a Bachelor's degree; I enjoy a high degree of flexibility and autonomy. I don't have a problem with that.

Cool, but you've missed the point by a pretty wide margin. If you knew what you were talking about, then you would know that tenure-line positions not only are not responsible for any university budgetary issues (by virtue of being a minority of overall expenditures), but have already been dismantled, that those "maybe one course a year" people you reportedly know are so statistically rare as to functionally not exist. The university system is due for a reckoning, but because of the growing dependence on charging a premium for the on-campus experience and the attendant administrative bloat, the rise of the university as a self-contained ecosystem reliant on student loan debt, wealthy endowments that function as detached hedge funds, alumni donations earmarked for narcissistic capital improvements and athletic programs rather than educational offerings--not because of faculty salaries.

You're probably right about all of this, but the practice is still widespread in the aforementioned college communities I'm most familiar with, so I stand by my original knee-jerk statement.

Why you so mad bro

PostPosted: Tue August 11, 2020 10:52 pm 
Major Dude

Was just told by a nurse at our local hospital that if you test positive for Covid, as long as you have no symptoms, you’re expected to work. They discourage anyone to be tested and as long as you’re not tested you’re negative.

PostPosted: Tue August 11, 2020 10:53 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

wease wrote:
Was just told by a nurse at our local hospital that if you test positive for Covid, as long as you have no symptoms, you’re expected to work. They discourage anyone to be tested and as long as you’re not tested you’re negative.

Sound advice there

PostPosted: Tue August 11, 2020 10:58 pm 
Production Police

wease wrote:

You should whistle blow this shit

PostPosted: Tue August 11, 2020 11:20 pm 
Major Dude

tragabigzanda wrote:
wease wrote:

I'm actually thinking hard about it. The cardiologist that does all the heart caths had it and continued to work. All the nurses in the cath lab were tested by the hospital who refused to let them see the results so the nurses came to my clinic and got tested. They were ALL positive. They were all afraid of being fired if they told the hospital. There's no telling how many heart cath patients were actually infected during that.

PostPosted: Tue August 11, 2020 11:25 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

wease wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
wease wrote:

I'm actually thinking hard about it. The cardiologist that does all the heart caths had it and continued to work. All the nurses in the cath lab were tested by the hospital who refused to let them see the results so the nurses came to my clinic and got tested. They were ALL positive. They were all afraid of being fired if they told the hospital. There's no telling how many heart cath patients were actually infected during that.

It’s risky, but I think you really need to consider it. If you do...Don’t be dumb. use signal.

PostPosted: Tue August 11, 2020 11:29 pm 
Future Drummer
 WWW  Profile

wease wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
wease wrote:

Jesus fucking Christ, if you see something say something to the extreme.

:shake:

PostPosted: Tue August 11, 2020 11:47 pm 
Production Police

Yeah wease. I'm gonna double down and strongly encourage you to look into laws/platforms for you to do this.

PostPosted: Tue August 11, 2020 11:55 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

yeah wease..pm chris h2

PostPosted: Wed August 12, 2020 12:02 am 
Looks Like a Cat

Shit, do we all have some kinda of obligation here now? Is that a crime?

PostPosted: Wed August 12, 2020 12:27 am 
Rank This Poster

So it’s taken about 8 days, but my district has almost 1000 quarantined, about 50 cases, several more tests waiting confirmation, and have shut down a high school until the 31st.

PostPosted: Wed August 12, 2020 12:33 am 
Mind Your Tanners

Illinois Just Made Assaulting Retail Workers Over Mask Enforcement A Felony

PostPosted: Wed August 12, 2020 1:49 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

i went into my local auto shop today... always thought they were good guys... helped me out in a bind with random shit a bunch of times

i walk into the office, it's basically a little glass chamber

i approach the entry door, i put on my mask - dude behind the register sees me through the glass door - doesnt have his on. i pause for him assuming he's gonna put his on for when i enter - he doesn't put one on.

i go in, he still doesn't put a mask on - doesn't say shit about it

i am thinking 'what the fuck did i just walk into'

i have the whole conversation about my car with him in his tiny glass box office with my mask on and he doesn't have one on

it's like hard for me to make eye contact cause it is so 'wtf'

i get a call later they found all this shit and i have $2400 worth of work on my car

wtf

now i am all paranoid it's bc i didnt pledge allegiance to the hoax theory

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

PostPosted: Wed August 12, 2020 2:13 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

96583UP wrote:
i went into my local auto shop today... always thought they were good guys... helped me out in a bind with random shit a bunch of times

i approach the entry door, i put on my mask - dude behind the register sees me through the glass door - doesnt have his on. i pause for him assuming he's gonna put his on for when i enter - he doesn't put one on.

i have the whole conversation about my car with him in his tiny glass box office with my mask on and he doesn't have one on

i get a call later they found all this shit and i have $2400 worth of work on my car

wtf

PostPosted: Wed August 12, 2020 2:13 am 
Gone

96583UP wrote:

wtf

OH MY FUCKING GAWD R U OK?

PostPosted: Wed August 12, 2020 2:26 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

he hurt my feelings, mac

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

PostPosted: Wed August 12, 2020 2:32 am 
Mind Your Tanners

96583UP wrote:
he hurt my feelings, mac

Is the car still there? B/c they are definitely sewing dead fish into your seats and planting drugs in your tires. You're fucked, 96583UP.

Oh, and you've got covid now, too.

PostPosted: Wed August 12, 2020 2:38 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

it's there til Friday

and i expect they are coughing on all the knobs and putting AIDS in my gas tank

bastards

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19045 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 388, 389, 390, 391, 392, 393, 394 ... 953  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate