The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19045 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 381, 382, 383, 384, 385, 386, 387 ... 953  Next
 Post subject: Re: Anybody want a Corona?
PostPosted: Fri July 31, 2020 8:05 pm 
Future Drummer

I mean, I love her and we've been together for over two years, so probably a deal breaker. They want me there all day to help with their online instruction in the morning and provide "after school" type activities in the afternoon, so they definitely can't afford that. I've come up with a few numbers as starting points, all of which are way more than I used to make, while still being in line with private tutor/teacher salaries. But I've also never negotiated a salary before and definitely have no idea what the fuck I'm doing.

I'm a big pit of anxiety right now.

PostPosted: Fri July 31, 2020 8:22 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

I would start from your expected yearly salary and work backwards, keeping in mind that the virus situation means that at any time, this could fall apart, so don't be squeamish about asking for more. Especially in a state like Texas, there are going to be fewer qualified teachers than positions. If you trust the families, it sounds pretty safe.

Dunno what to do about the girlfriend other than to be honest (I'm assuming y'all live together). Hopefully her district backs off their reopening-that's what was just announced today for our schools. Alternately, can she leave and freelance enough to supplement your tutor fee and/or get her own tutor gig? Two in-home pods is safer than any in-classroom instruction. And while I recognize that leaving a district position is anxiety-producing (I'm sure it would stop her retirement clock and step benefits), I suspect there's also going to be a glut of teacher jobs when this is over.

PostPosted: Fri July 31, 2020 10:38 pm 
See you in another life, brother

Is she able to take a leave of absence? My school district allows us to take a full two years LOA, it does pause the salary/retirement clock, but you have a teaching job if you come back at any point in that time span.

PostPosted: Fri July 31, 2020 10:41 pm 
Future Drummer

In Texas, I think the answer is "no" from what I understand.

We don't live together but I spend half my time at her place so she doesn't go crazy.

PostPosted: Sat August 01, 2020 2:48 am 
The Master

fat wads before hot bods bro

PostPosted: Sat August 01, 2020 3:29 am 
Future Drummer

Y'all are funny.

Meeting went well, the only sticking point was indeed what I wrote about before. GF is trying to go full online teaching but it's a longshot.

I wish all you parents luck during meetings like this of your own if you have them, be kind to the teachers and each other. Something that came up a lot is that everyone is doing this for the first time.

PostPosted: Sat August 01, 2020 6:07 am 
The Master

Bi_3 wrote:
spike wrote:
Let’s go with fitting in place of cool, then you won’t seem as trollish.

Is this the kinda flag you hayseeds mount on your jeep wranglers?

PostPosted: Sat August 01, 2020 10:48 am 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
Mickey wrote:
Also sarcasm. I expect universities to be worse.

UNC isn't going to actively test. And they have one dorm set aside for quarantine. But if students don't show any symptoms, I wonder how they'll keep track of it?

Chapel Hill is fucked.

PostPosted: Sat August 01, 2020 3:19 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

They should know better: Thousands protest in Berlin against coronavirus restrictions

https://apnews.com/ef70c1af702b89c23e71fcd843e63293

PostPosted: Sat August 01, 2020 3:29 pm 
The Master

Hey, we’re not the only idiots anymore!

PostPosted: Sat August 01, 2020 3:32 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

There are now an estimated 400,000 QAnon followers in Europe.

It’s probably a lot of the same fools.

PostPosted: Sat August 01, 2020 4:04 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

It's officially August. Did I miss the rapture?

PostPosted: Sun August 02, 2020 3:50 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Bi_3 wrote:
They should know better: Thousands protest in Berlin against coronavirus restrictions

https://apnews.com/ef70c1af702b89c23e71fcd843e63293

wow, wasn't expecting that one

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

PostPosted: Sun August 02, 2020 4:29 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

I have yet to have anyone I know directly test positive. Any fatalities are a friend of a friend type situation.

I kinda get why you might reject the narrative after 4 1/2 months without it impacting you.

The local grocer told me something scary, however. The distributor (at least for duraflame and that sort of thing) used to have 4 warehouses in Northern California and Nevada. They have consolidated on one warehouse in recent years, and they had an employee test positive, so they are closed for two weeks. This sort of disruption will continue, fit and start indefinitely.

We really need to work on making our supply chain more robust and not rely on "just in time" MBA created shit anymore.

PostPosted: Sun August 02, 2020 7:35 am 
TIER 1 Essential Critical Infrastructure Worker

simple schoolboy wrote:
I have yet to have anyone I know directly test positive.

Other than a couple random FB friends I didn't know anyone personally who had tested positive before me. There has been a couple others since but no one I had contact with before I isolated. Luckily I am symptom free for weeks and well past the contagious stage but I wonder what type of lingering effects I will have down the road. The antibodies don't seem to last very long at all, meaning I will have no more immunity than some anyone else in a month or two. The reports of heart issues scare me in particular.
On a side note as of earlier today 14 members of Congress had tested positive.

PostPosted: Sun August 02, 2020 3:39 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

PostPosted: Sun August 02, 2020 4:15 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

Funding is the major problem here.

How do you offer a safe school to your teachers and students if you have no new money for barriers, cleaning supplies, PPE, and spacing?

Hell, in a normal year, the school doesn't provide Clorox wipes, and they made no promise to provide them before asking teachers if they were willing to teach in person.

My wife also made a great point about Kindergarten. 85% of the parents at her school signed their kids up for a hybrid model, where they will drop off their kids all day with a faceless teacher they've never met who can't smile, can't help them tie their shoes, and can't hug them when they're scared. Oh, and stay 6 feet away from all these strange kids you've never met too or you might die.

"Why are you crying little 5-year-old?"

PostPosted: Sun August 02, 2020 4:47 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

It’s not just money for PPE and cleaning supplies, there simply aren’t enough PPE and cleaning supplies

PostPosted: Sun August 02, 2020 4:54 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

But since these reserves were used 4 years ago we should not do anything about it now.

PostPosted: Sun August 02, 2020 5:02 pm 
Poster of the Year

Remember, this is all because the President thought it would hurt blue states more than red states.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19045 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 381, 382, 383, 384, 385, 386, 387 ... 953  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate