The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19045 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 611, 612, 613, 614, 615, 616, 617 ... 953  Next
 Post subject: Re: Anybody want a Corona?
PostPosted: Mon July 26, 2021 4:08 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

https://www.cdc.gov/csels/dls/locs/2021 ... ing_1.html

Why is this being discontinued? If this is the one used everywhere, won’t this create an apples to oranges dataset problem?

PostPosted: Mon July 26, 2021 6:43 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Insert borderline offensive joke about being hungry in an hour:

https://news.yahoo.com/antibodies-sinov ... 48493.html

PostPosted: Mon July 26, 2021 8:15 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

I wonder if Trump had been reelected would the vaccination rates be higher? Early on he was setting himself up to say he and he alone got the vaccines done and approved in record time. Once he lost the election, though, he stopped talking about it. Would all the pro-Trump people have gotten it had he continued his gloating about it? Also, would all the liberals then have been the ones not to trust the vaccine?

I'd also be interested to see how the vaccine numbers would change if he just came out right now publicly and said all his supporters should get it so they can be alive to vote for him in 2024.

PostPosted: Mon July 26, 2021 8:49 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
I wonder if Trump had been reelected would the vaccination rates be higher? Early on he was setting himself up to say he and he alone got the vaccines done and approved in record time. Once he lost the election, though, he stopped talking about it. Would all the pro-Trump people have gotten it had he continued his gloating about it? Also, would all the liberals then have been the ones not to trust the vaccine?

I'd also be interested to see how the vaccine numbers would change if he just came out right now publicly and said all his supporters should get it so they can be alive to vote for him in 2024.

Hasn't the MAGA crowd gone back to calling this the Trump vaccine?

PostPosted: Mon July 26, 2021 9:29 pm 
The Master

E.H. Ruddock wrote:

Interesting thought, but I’d say no. If Trump had actually continued to promote the vaccine, they would have turned on him. It’s never been about him; it’s about what he enables. He didn’t create the ideology, just tapped into it.

PostPosted: Tue July 27, 2021 3:02 am 
Site Admin

E.H. Ruddock wrote:

I have pondered the same thing recently, and it's discomforting to think that the answer could be yes.

PostPosted: Tue July 27, 2021 4:01 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

Green Habit wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:

I have pondered the same thing recently, and it's discomforting to think that the answer could be yes.

If he won, those that delayed the stage 3 trial data from being released might have continued to attack the vaccines.

You might have had more Whole Foods/ Goop types avoid the vaccine.

Dunno what it would have taken to sway the stereotypical Trump Vaccine skeptic.

PostPosted: Tue July 27, 2021 11:41 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

PostPosted: Tue July 27, 2021 2:36 pm 
The Master

lol

PostPosted: Tue July 27, 2021 8:04 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

PostPosted: Tue July 27, 2021 9:44 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Bi_3 wrote:
Anders wrote:
When do you think we will stop wearing masks?

When should we? March 2022. When will we? May 2021.

PostPosted: Wed July 28, 2021 12:54 am 
Mind Your Tanners

CDC Updates COVID-19 Guidance, Says Some Vaxxed People Should Resume Wearing Masks

PostPosted: Wed July 28, 2021 1:45 pm 
Major Dude

McParadigm wrote:

The south’s gonna do it again!

PostPosted: Wed July 28, 2021 1:51 pm 
Major Dude

The positivity rate for the five centers I manage is up to 18%. This is up from around 8% in June. All of our centers are seeing spikes in patient counts now, as well. Arkansas is already seeing it and Tennessee is on the verge of another surge of cases. It’s the logical outcome. Highly transmissible/contagious variant, low vaccination rate. Recipe for disaster.

PostPosted: Wed July 28, 2021 1:52 pm 
mXn

spike wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:

Interesting thought, but I’d say no. If Trump had actually continued to promote the vaccine, they would have turned on him. It’s never been about him; it’s about what he enables. He didn’t create the ideology, just tapped into it.

Both interesting takes.

I heard something briefly about this on the radio yesterday. Something about a Kamala Harris quote … “I’ll never take Trump’s vaccine” (I’m sure that’s not an exact quote but the point is, yes, the swath of people resisting the vax may very well trend blue rather than red had he been re-elected)

But yeah there are probably tons of Orange Culters who have decided they are anti-vax but would get the shot today if Drumpf tweeted that they should.

PostPosted: Wed July 28, 2021 1:56 pm 
Major Dude

Bammer wrote:
spike wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:

Both interesting takes.

I heard something briefly about this on the radio yesterday. Something about a Kamala Harris quote … “I’ll never take Trump’s vaccine” (I’m sure that’s not an exact quote but the point is, yes, the swath of people resisting the vax may very well trend blue rather than red had he been re-elected)

But yeah there are probably tons of Orange Culters who have decided they are anti-vax but would get the shot today if Drumpf tweeted that they should.

Absolutely.

I’m not so sure about Dems/Libs not taking it, tho. Most everyone I know that falls on that side were ready for a vaccine. Regardless of who the president is.

PostPosted: Wed July 28, 2021 3:09 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

the delta hit one of the local hospitals here (WV) with 3 confirmed cases. two of which are on ventilators and the other is 38 on 15 liters of oxygen

a nurse and an administrative assistant passed away

PostPosted: Wed July 28, 2021 3:42 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

spike wrote:

This is where I am at.

Trump doesn’t guide his base, he champions it. Back before the vaccine was available (and well before the election was decided), 47% of Republicans in a Gallup poll said they would get vaccinated. Today, 51% of Republicans are vaccinated. Very consistent numbers, in spite of everything that changed around them.

The tail wags the dog, and the insular conspiracy theory-driven universe that half of Republicans live inside runs on a distrust of public health care efforts, government programs, and (quite frankly) anything that city dwellers are doing. These are old and deeply engrained grievances. They’re bigger than Trump. If he had been re-elected, they wouldn’t have gotten vaccinated in bigger numbers. He would have just defended their decision not to do so, and gone back to taking about opening the economy.

Bammer wrote:

I don’t think there’s any reason to believe this would be the case.

I see quotes like the Harris one brought up from time to time, but let’s talk about the context of that moment…

In September the CDC, researchers, and vaccine manufacturers were all telling us that it would take months and months to have safe vaccines tested and mass produced. The President, however, was fairly open about pushing for Americans to start getting vaccinated within a matter of weeks because he thought it would help him win the election.

In September, President Trump wrote:
We’ll be able to distribute at least 100 million vaccine doses by the end of 2020.

The next day, President Trump wrote:
It’ll be delivered, the vaccine, before the end of the year and, frankly, maybe even during the month of October.

Quote:
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Director Robert Redfield on Wednesday stood by his timeline for a potential COVID-19 vaccine, despite criticism from President Donald Trump who said the top public health official was mistaken when he said a vaccine would not be available to all Americans immediately later this fall.

Redfield and other officials, including Dr. Anthony Fauci, the nation's top infectious disease expert, have said that while "Operation Warp Speed" is facilitating the production of millions of doses of COVID-19 vaccines undergoing clinical trials, it will likely until next year for those doses to be distributed and available to the majority of Americans.

Later that week, President Trump wrote:
We're going to have a vaccine in a matter of weeks, it could be four weeks, it could be eight weeks

He was talking about pushing a vaccine out in October….in early September. It cratered perception of vaccine safety among EVERY group. By the end of the month, only about 1 in 5 Americans said they would “definitely” get vaccinated if the vaccine was available today. And the numbers took some time to fully recover.

Meanwhile, that same week, another poll was conducted that asked “do you hope to be vaccinated by the same time next year.” 84% of Democrats said yes, further demonstrating that the distrust of Trump’s theoretical rushed release didn’t translate into distrust of vaccination.

Today, 88% of Democrats have received at least one shot. Again, as with Republicans, these are very consistent numbers that don’t seem to hinge on the President. At the height of skepticism and uncertainty, 84% of Democrats thought they’d end up getting it and so far, 88% did.

PostPosted: Wed July 28, 2021 6:04 pm 
The Master

McParadigm wrote:
The tail wags the dog, and the insular conspiracy theory-driven universe that half of Republicans live inside runs on a distrust of public health care efforts, government programs, and (quite frankly) anything that city dwellers are doing. These are old and deeply engrained grievances.

In a broader sense, racism. That’s what’s deeply ingrained.

PostPosted: Wed July 28, 2021 7:29 pm 
The Master

Is this the first major private sector/non medical company to require employee vaccinations?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19045 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 611, 612, 613, 614, 615, 616, 617 ... 953  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate