The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19045 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 561, 562, 563, 564, 565, 566, 567 ... 953  Next
 Post subject: Re: Anybody want a Corona?
PostPosted: Wed April 14, 2021 2:25 pm 
See you in another life, brother

McParadigm wrote:
If only the news had been “no halt to vaccinations after reports of blood clots.” Then the vaccine skeptics would have signed up, I just know it.

Are you not concerned that this could negatively impact vaccination efforts going forward?

PostPosted: Wed April 14, 2021 2:28 pm 
Gone

Rob wrote:
My brother keeps making these same arguments about all the other risks we take, and all I keep thinking is that throwing math at people isn't going to work. Driving, planes, dogs... those risks have been baked into the cake for a long time. The people hesitant about these vaccines don't care about those numbers. They see the headlines and become even more hesitant.

You're so close. Why is it then not okay for a healthy 20 some year old not to fear covid?

PostPosted: Wed April 14, 2021 2:31 pm 

verb_to_trust wrote:
Rob wrote:
My brother keeps making these same arguments about all the other risks we take, and all I keep thinking is that throwing math at people isn't going to work. Driving, planes, dogs... those risks have been baked into the cake for a long time. The people hesitant about these vaccines don't care about those numbers. They see the headlines and become even more hesitant.

You're so close. Why is it then not okay for a healthy 20 some year old not to fear covid?

A 20 year old shouldn't fear covid. But they may as well wash their hands more often, wear a mask, get a vaccine, etc., so that they don't contribute to sickness and death of people who should be more concerned with covid.

PostPosted: Wed April 14, 2021 2:32 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

verb_to_trust wrote:
Rob wrote:

its the same reason people say to be sure to look out on the road and be aware of motorcyclists

i do that to ensure i dont hurt anyone by not being careful

i dont ride a motorcycle so why should i care about them?

PostPosted: Wed April 14, 2021 2:40 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

4/5 wrote:
McParadigm wrote:
If only the news had been “no halt to vaccinations after reports of blood clots.” Then the vaccine skeptics would have signed up, I just know it.

Are you not concerned that this could negatively impact vaccination efforts going forward?

I think the delineation of whether it affects vaccination efforts or not happens when the blood clots become news. The idea that a few day pause to review is going to be disastrous messaging, but that a headline like “CDC says J&J vaccine safe in spite of blood clot reports” would have gone over smashingly is, as far as I’m concerned, wrong-headed. The impact point is the clotting story, not the response.

The problem is that for a llllllot of people, either headline (“gov halts vaccine over blood clots,” “gov says no risk in spite of blood clot reports”) will exist within the context of this messaging:

Last edited by McParadigm on Wed April 14, 2021 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed April 14, 2021 2:58 pm 

McParadigm wrote:
4/5 wrote:
McParadigm wrote:

I think the delineation of whether it affects vaccination efforts or not happens when the blood clots become news. The idea that a few day pause to review is going to be disastrous messaging, but that a headline like “CDC says J&J vaccine safe in spite of blood clot reports” would have gone over smashingly is, as far as I’m concerned, wrong-headed. The impact point is the clotting story, not the response.

The problem is that for a llllllot of people, either headline (“gov halts vaccine over blood clots,” “gov says no risk in spite of blood clot reports”) will exist within the context of this messaging:

That's probably true. On the positive side, I'm just glad we made it 4 months into this before this happened. Hopefully there was enough momentum building that this doesn't disrupt it too much.

PostPosted: Wed April 14, 2021 3:10 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Tucker is certainly scary!

But... "While it's easy to scare people, it's very hard to unscare them"

PostPosted: Wed April 14, 2021 3:22 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

4/5 wrote:
On the positive side, I'm just glad we made it 4 months into this before this happened. Hopefully there was enough momentum building that this doesn't disrupt it too much.

Well just have to see how or if these numbers change.

PostPosted: Wed April 14, 2021 3:28 pm 
Gone

4/5 wrote:
verb_to_trust wrote:
Rob wrote:

A 20 year old shouldn't fear covid. But they may as well wash their hands more often, wear a mask, get a vaccine, etc., so that they don't contribute to sickness and death of people who should be more concerned with covid.

Until health officials admit the vaccine actually works and drop the nonsense about triple masking and hiding from society even after vaccination they aren't allowed to feel like they are contributing to the greater good. Right now it's take the vaccine and get nothing back in return for a large demographic of people.

PostPosted: Wed April 14, 2021 4:08 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Rumor is that AZ vax is being axed in Denmark.

PostPosted: Wed April 14, 2021 6:01 pm 
The Master

verb_to_trust wrote:
4/5 wrote:
verb_to_trust wrote:
Rob wrote:

Until health officials admit the vaccine actually works and drop the nonsense about triple masking and hiding from society even after vaccination they aren't allowed to feel like they are contributing to the greater good. Right now it's take the vaccine and get nothing back in return for a large demographic of people.

They’ll get normality back sooner.

PostPosted: Wed April 14, 2021 7:47 pm 
Gone

spike wrote:
verb_to_trust wrote:
4/5 wrote:
verb_to_trust wrote:
Rob wrote:

Where has anyone said that? It's still mask up forever if you ask all the public health weirdos.

PostPosted: Wed April 14, 2021 7:51 pm 
The Master

verb_to_trust wrote:
spike wrote:
verb_to_trust wrote:
4/5 wrote:
verb_to_trust wrote:
Rob wrote:

Where has anyone said that? It's still mask up forever if you ask all the public health weirdos.

no one's said that.

PostPosted: Wed April 14, 2021 8:08 pm 
Future Drummer

The more cautious health experts say we should wear masks the rest of the year? Maybe? Maybe early 2022? Is there a significant difference between 9-12 more months and forever?

PostPosted: Wed April 14, 2021 8:09 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

I dunno, what do you think the life expectancy is for a guy who spends all day posting about how even the *sight* of a mask on vacation would ruin the whole thing for him?

PostPosted: Wed April 14, 2021 8:21 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

PostPosted: Wed April 14, 2021 8:45 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

PostPosted: Wed April 14, 2021 9:36 pm 
Gone

Mickey wrote:
I dunno, what do you think the life expectancy is for a guy who spends all day posting about how even the *sight* of a mask on vacation would ruin the whole thing for him?

Joke is on you. I'm almost surely going to die by suicide. I'm in the driver's seat here.

PostPosted: Wed April 14, 2021 9:38 pm 
Gone

Stickman wrote:

The inverse is also quite memey

PostPosted: Wed April 14, 2021 9:48 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

verb_to_trust wrote:
Mickey wrote:

Joke is on you. I'm almost surely going to die by suicide. I'm in the driver's seat here.

Woof, see a therapist dude.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19045 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 561, 562, 563, 564, 565, 566, 567 ... 953  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate