The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19045 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 515, 516, 517, 518, 519, 520, 521 ... 953  Next
 Post subject: Re: Anybody want a Corona?
PostPosted: Wed January 27, 2021 8:30 pm 
Gone

Kids are basically losing a year and a half of education. Last spring a local high school stopped teaching new subject material after going remote in March and told kids they only had to finish 60% of the work they had already been given in order to pass. It was an extremely low bar that many kids just blew off. The ones that followed through didn't actually learn anything for the credit they got though and were just pushed along to the next level in the fall (where more garbage learning was waiting with no end in sight). You don't see a problem with this? Kids from this generation are going to be noticably stupider. And that's just the education side of things. The social damage being done is bad too. A generation of mentally ill zombies who just stare at screens, eat their parents weed gummies and blow their heads off after sending some dick pics on snapchat.

PostPosted: Wed January 27, 2021 9:01 pm 
The Master

that was going to be the endgame before the pandemic anyway

PostPosted: Wed January 27, 2021 9:04 pm 
Future Drummer

verb_to_trust wrote:
Kids are basically losing a year and a half of education. Last spring a local high school stopped teaching new subject material after going remote in March and told kids they only had to finish 60% of the work they had already been given in order to pass. It was an extremely low bar that many kids just blew off. The ones that followed through didn't actually learn anything for the credit they got though and were just pushed along to the next level in the fall (where more garbage learning was waiting with no end in sight). You don't see a problem with this? Kids from this generation are going to be noticably stupider. And that's just the education side of things. The social damage being done is bad too. A generation of mentally ill zombies who just stare at screens, eat their parents weed gummies and blow their heads off after sending some dick pics on snapchat.

I don't know anyone who thinks these aren't problems, but again, this is so dramatic. Yes, many have suffered this past year, and yes some at the margins will not recover. And yes, there have been scary social trends that began before Covid, and have only been made worse since (suicides among young women, for example). But the generation will be ok.

surfndestroy wrote:
Rob wrote:
verb_to_trust wrote:
I actually feel sorry for parents with school aged children because this is going to be a drag on development that is essentially permanent and unfixable at best.

This just makes no sense to me. Obviously 2020 was rough on school kids and their education, but it was rough for most people. I suppose some kids at the margins (or in certain districts) suffer some permanent issues, but to suggest a generation of kids is permanently scarred by an unfixable problem? I don't buy that. Seems a bit dramatic, especially given what other generations have lived through.

I think many past generations have been pretty fucked up by the circumstances of their childhood.

Sure, but they endured and the country continued to move forward. I don't really believe Covid stacks up with The Great Depression, World/Civil wars, etc... I don't believe a generation has been permanently damaged any worse than any in the past.

PostPosted: Wed January 27, 2021 9:09 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

This thread turned one year old last week

PostPosted: Wed January 27, 2021 9:10 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

And somehow we've all aged 16 years in that same time.

PostPosted: Wed January 27, 2021 9:35 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

epilogue wrote:

More like we all aged to 16 years

PostPosted: Wed January 27, 2021 9:41 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

This was a good early exchange

JuanHamm wrote:
surfndestroy wrote:
JuanHamm wrote:
McParadigm wrote:
JuanHamm wrote:
Is this one any more serious than the other flu viruses we've panicked about recently?

It’s spreading faster, it is prone to mutation, and they still don’t know the origin or the full scope of transmissibility. Hard to say about the mortality rate, because most of the people who have it at any given time just got it...so the official number makes it look lower than it really is. Some people think it might turn out to be as high as 19%.

Jesus

The earth could use a good culling of humans.

But I'm a human

PostPosted: Wed January 27, 2021 9:43 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Bi_3 wrote:
epilogue wrote:

if y'all are getting younger then that's the first good argument I've heard for moving to the right

PostPosted: Wed January 27, 2021 9:47 pm 
Gone

19% fatality was juuuusstttt a bit off

PostPosted: Wed January 27, 2021 9:55 pm 
Future Drummer

verb_to_trust wrote:
19% fatality was juuuusstttt a bit off

:lol:

I hope everyone reads that in a Bob Uecker voice.

PostPosted: Wed January 27, 2021 10:05 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

epilogue wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
epilogue wrote:

if y'all are getting younger then that's the first good argument I've heard for moving to the right

Mentally. Still bald and bloated

PostPosted: Thu January 28, 2021 2:55 am 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

My kids are having a snow day from virtual school tomorrow. What a fucking world!

PostPosted: Thu January 28, 2021 2:59 am 
what on earth am I talking about

Israel blocking all vaccines to Palestine is pure and peak Israel.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/ ... o-settlers

PostPosted: Thu January 28, 2021 3:08 am 
what on earth am I talking about

Meanwhile in Europe, the company the EU contracted and bought hundreds of millions of doses off, are now Welching on the deal and effectively aren’t even answering calls.
Serious monorail vibes. But on a vast scale.
What we’re they thinking buying a vaccine off a company with a name like that anyways? Sounds like a front set up by a gamer kid in his bedroom

PostPosted: Thu January 28, 2021 3:17 am 
Looks Like a Cat

dimejinky99 wrote:
Meanwhile in Europe, the company the EU contracted and bought hundreds of millions of doses off, are now Welching on the deal and effectively aren’t even answering calls.
What we’re they thinking buying a vaccine off a company with a name like that anyways? Sounds like a front set up by a gamer kid in his bedroom

Philadelphia’s largest vaccine was literally run by gamer kids who did exactly what you would guess they would do:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2 ... d-vaccine/

PostPosted: Thu January 28, 2021 3:24 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

dimejinky99 wrote:

Maybe demanding the vaccine effectively at cost was not such a great idea.

PostPosted: Thu January 28, 2021 3:49 am 
Gone

The EU has really shit all over themselves with the vaccine.

PostPosted: Thu January 28, 2021 3:58 am 
The Master

verb_to_trust wrote:
The EU has really shit all over themselves with the vaccine.

tree_ is the EU of RM

PostPosted: Thu January 28, 2021 3:59 am 
Rank This Poster

verb_to_trust wrote:
Lol I do not have kids and never will. However, that does not mean I don't see up close what is going on with kids in underserved districts with this remote and blended nonsense. I also don't see why I have to source everything to back my position up when it's basically common sense. If you're interested though there is reading out there that basically quantifies the damage we are doing to kids in lost lifetime earnings among many other things. The Las Vegas suicide stuff has been in the news. Just seek it out.

I actually feel sorry for parents with school aged children because this is going to be a drag on development that is essentially permanent and unfixable at best. Worst case is many kids are just going to end up dropping out after falling behind.

Well, don't because they're the fucking problem. They were before the pandemic and they are now. I've got two kids. One is in 5th grade and the other in 8th. The 5th grader is crushing it. In distance learning, he wakes up at 6:30 so he can get a start on the work his teacher has planned for the day. I could be smoking meth in the kitchen and he'd be fine. The 8th grader, on the other hand, despite having his phone taken away months ago and only being allowed to play Xbox on weekends, is a daily struggle. We get emails from his teachers pretty much weekly about missing work. But we get emails. And we have online access to his grades. It's a lot of extra work, but some time in 2008, I blew a hot load into my wife and we agreed to keep it and do the best we could for it. He's not likely to be a great scientist, but he's going to pass all of his classes and learn a few things because we're on his ass. If we were smoking meth in the kitchen, he'd have straight F's. Distance learning works for self-sufficient kids and kids who have involved parents.

My wife and I are both high school teachers in different districts. Both districts have severely lowered standards. I'll just write about mine. As the end of the first trimester approached, admin fucking mandated we pass kids who achieved 50% with a D- or a P if they chose. No one fails. Anyone below 50% gets NG. A few weeks into trimester 2 admin mandated that because so many kids failed classes in trimester 1, we wouldn't be able to serve them all through after school credit recovery or summer school, so if a student applied for a contract to make up the first trimester, that teacher would have to provide work for them to do to make up that credit. Across 4 grades, 7 students applied. Most, if not all, of them are currently failing the same classes in trimester 2. The failing masses do not care, and their parents apparently don't care either.

Teaching is so thankless right now. We have Google meets that are mandatory, but not really. I have kids who have never attended one all year. I have students I have never seen in 5 months. Some are doing quite well, and why shouldn't they since I am forced to provide instruction via recordings and all of the materials they need? I teach 5 classes. I'll give you one as an example. It's a junior World Literature class. 34 kids are enrolled. Halfway through the grading period and 21 are below 60%. 3 are at 0% and another 2 are in single digits. Half of the passing kids have A's. We meet for online class twice a week. Average attendance is 17 students. Of those 17, 5 turn on cameras.

This pandemic has highlighted the biggest issue in our society: most parents suck at parenting because they make every excuse as to why they don't do it. School has long been free daycare. With daycare shuttered, the parents have taken to daydrinking and memes while their kids unknowingly set the table for hard lives. I feel bad for the kids, not the parents. Kids are dumb. Their brains aren't fully formed. They're going to suffer lifetime consequences because they have shitty parents. And these poor fuckers are going to model their parenting after their shity parents, and the impact of this pandemic wil actually last for generations.

PostPosted: Thu January 28, 2021 4:08 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

So, funding is not the most important driver of student success, its cultural norms and parental involvement?

Thats wild.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19045 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 515, 516, 517, 518, 519, 520, 521 ... 953  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate