The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19045 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 393, 394, 395, 396, 397, 398, 399 ... 953  Next
 Post subject: Re: Anybody want a Corona?
PostPosted: Mon August 17, 2020 5:52 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

B wrote:
B wrote:
B wrote:
UNC has had 4 clusters in their first week and are now considering switching to on-line classes.

https://www.heraldsun.com/news/local/ar ... pw44jRANSU

Duke starts today. More fun to come.

Oh, and UNC's isolation dorms are full, so they're putting students in area hotels. :thumbsup:

Boy, if only someone could have predicted this.

PostPosted: Mon August 17, 2020 5:56 pm 
Production Police

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
B wrote:
UNC has had 4 clusters in their first week and are now considering switching to on-line classes.

My partner's son is in one of the dorms where there is a cluster. But even if he gets it, he doesn't want to come home and risk spreading to us, so we'll see. I can't imagine if there is a huge outbreak that they are just going to shut down the dorms and send all these COVID kids home to spread around even more

What’s their on-campus testing/tracing capacity like? Or is some of it still run by the county health department?

They are doing temperature checks and contact tracing for the new clusters. They have a dorm that is set up for isolation for students that test positive.

Hmm, I hope my employer has an isolation dorm

PostPosted: Mon August 17, 2020 5:57 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

tragabigzanda wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
B wrote:

My partner's son is in one of the dorms where there is a cluster. But even if he gets it, he doesn't want to come home and risk spreading to us, so we'll see. I can't imagine if there is a huge outbreak that they are just going to shut down the dorms and send all these COVID kids home to spread around even more

What’s their on-campus testing/tracing capacity like? Or is some of it still run by the county health department?

They are doing temperature checks and contact tracing for the new clusters. They have a dorm that is set up for isolation for students that test positive.

UNC doesn't even have one anymore. They've already filled it.

PostPosted: Mon August 17, 2020 5:57 pm 
Production Police

Jfc. My classes start tomorrow and it’s stressing me out

PostPosted: Mon August 17, 2020 6:02 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

I'm assuming you're teaching in person? What's your plexiglass sitch?

PostPosted: Mon August 17, 2020 6:03 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Sorry, not that I think plexiglass does anything, just curious what level of security theatre you're being offered as psychological compensation.

PostPosted: Mon August 17, 2020 6:42 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

B wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
B wrote:

Looks like he and his roommate are sick. No fever, but sore throats and headaches. We're now determining whether he is coming home or staying there. They are currently getting tested but won't know anything for a couple of days. He's already pulling the "I feel better already" card because he wants to stay.

I'm not sure how this UNC scenario isn't going to happen all over the country. They just started earlier than most.

PostPosted: Mon August 17, 2020 8:09 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

All students just got an email saying go home if you can, otherwise fill out this request to stay on campus. Trying to figure out whether or not that means us going to get his stuff or if we can leave it there. I'm having a hard time imagining that this scenario didn't come up in a "what if" discussion before determining if they should bring students back in the fall. But the lack of communication from UNC has been troubling.

PostPosted: Mon August 17, 2020 8:25 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

PostPosted: Mon August 17, 2020 8:37 pm 
Production Police

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
All students just got an email saying go home if you can, otherwise fill out this request to stay on campus. Trying to figure out whether or not that means us going to get his stuff or if we can leave it there. I'm having a hard time imagining that this scenario didn't come up in a "what if" discussion before determining if they should bring students back in the fall. But the lack of communication from UNC has been troubling.

Like every other college, they needed to get those tuition checks before they could start sending kids home.

PostPosted: Mon August 17, 2020 8:43 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

Here's my county's cases. That first big spike there was 8/13/20.

PostPosted: Mon August 17, 2020 9:42 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

I see with our 9 cases yesterday - Trump's saying the NZ is having a 'Big Surge' with the virus, which I guess compared with the one or two we were getting some days it is, but I still wouldn't be calling this a big surge.......yet

PostPosted: Mon August 17, 2020 9:57 pm 
Posting (live)

Rangi Guy wrote:
I see with our 9 cases yesterday - Trump's saying the NZ is having a 'Big Surge' with the virus, which I guess compared with the one or two we were getting some days it is, but I still wouldn't be calling this a big surge.......yet

Watch for Donald to follow Jacinda and try to delay the election.

PostPosted: Mon August 17, 2020 9:59 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Very cool!

PostPosted: Mon August 17, 2020 10:02 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
B wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
B wrote:

Looks like he and his roommate are sick. No fever, but sore throats and headaches. We're now determining whether he is coming home or staying there. They are currently getting tested but won't know anything for a couple of days. He's already pulling the "I feel better already" card because he wants to stay.

I'm not sure how this UNC scenario isn't going to happen all over the country. They just started earlier than most.

Yup. UNC reporting something like a 14% positive rate in testing in one week. Absolutely no reason this won't be replicated everywhere else. Pull the plug now.

(Also, hope your partner's kid is okay)

PostPosted: Mon August 17, 2020 10:19 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

LetMeSleep wrote:
Rangi Guy wrote:

Watch for Donald to follow Jacinda and try to delay the election.

The difference being that she delayed it to give the other parties a better shot since under current conditions they can't campaign

PostPosted: Tue August 18, 2020 1:30 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
B wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
B wrote:

fuck man, sorry

i would think that if someone and their roomate are both sick, they should still isolate from their roomate. it seems like a key theme with this is to minimize viral load exposure. so if you have someone else who is sick in the same room boosting the viral load that's gonna make it harder to recover

based on my monkey brain read of various internet articles

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

PostPosted: Tue August 18, 2020 1:57 am 

Well UNC is just sending everyone home now, COVID or not. He's staying up there until he gets his test results back, which should be Wednesday. But everyone pretty much has to be off campus by this weekend

PostPosted: Tue August 18, 2020 2:00 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

all it takes is one guy with covid to take a shit in a bathroom that other people use too and the moment someone new walks in and eats their feces it spreads like wildfire

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

PostPosted: Tue August 18, 2020 2:01 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

a cautionary tale for all school re-openings

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19045 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 393, 394, 395, 396, 397, 398, 399 ... 953  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate