Switch to full style
Engage in discussions about news, politics, etc.
Post a reply

Anybody want a Corona?

Wed January 22, 2020 1:00 am

This thing kills us y/n?

Coronavirus info:

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandso ... rm=nprnews
Last edited by McParadigm on Sun May 30, 2021 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Anybody want a Corona?

Wed January 22, 2020 1:31 am

WUHAN, China — Facing growing pressure to contain a deadly viral outbreak that has spread halfway around the world, China’s ruling Communist Party raced on Tuesday to confront the disease, slapping restrictions on the city where it started and warning that anyone who hides infections will be “forever nailed to history’s pillar of shame.”

The response by the Chinese leadership, which has come under intensifying criticism that it has been slow to acknowledge the severity of the outbreak, came as fatalities from the disease doubled to at least six. Infections surged overnight from 200 to 300, and global financial markets were rattled by the possibility of a pandemic emanating from the world’s most populous country during the Lunar New Year — Asia’s heaviest travel season.

Already, cases of the pneumonia-like virus have been found in Taiwan, Japan, Thailand and South Korea, and on Tuesday the first was confirmed in the United States. Airports around the world, including in the United States and Australia, are screening passengers from Wuhan. North Korea temporarily closed its borders to foreign tours, the vast majority of them from China. The World Health Organization has called a meeting on Wednesday over whether to declare the outbreak an international health emergency.

Wed January 22, 2020 1:42 am

Well shit, the dude is outside of Seattle. I flew through seattle the other day and have to connect there again friday. Guess I'm getting a mask.

Wed January 22, 2020 1:45 am

my wife is in seattle now and we were both scheduled to go to beijing in a few weeks...thats probably not going to happen

Wed January 22, 2020 1:50 am

McParadigm wrote:
“forever nailed to history’s pillar of shame.”

I love the way the Chinese word things.

Wed January 22, 2020 2:21 am

Love the thread title.

Wed January 22, 2020 2:33 am

Wed January 22, 2020 2:35 am

I think I watched this movie last year...

didn't know they were working on the sequel.

Wed January 22, 2020 3:13 pm

Wed January 22, 2020 3:41 pm

Rob wrote:Love the thread title.
I've been trying to work in a Jon Gruden & Tony Romo reference, but nothing coming to me.

Wed January 22, 2020 3:50 pm

Is this one any more serious than the other flu viruses we've panicked about recently?

Wed January 22, 2020 4:09 pm

JuanHamm wrote:Is this one any more serious than the other flu viruses we've panicked about recently?

It’s spreading faster, it is prone to mutation, and they still don’t know the origin or the full scope of transmissibility. Hard to say about the mortality rate, because most of the people who have it at any given time just got it...so the official number makes it look lower than it really is. Some people think it might turn out to be as high as 19%.

Wed January 22, 2020 4:21 pm

McParadigm wrote:
JuanHamm wrote:Is this one any more serious than the other flu viruses we've panicked about recently?

It’s spreading faster, it is prone to mutation, and they still don’t know the origin or the full scope of transmissibility. Hard to say about the mortality rate, because most of the people who have it at any given time just got it...so the official number makes it look lower than it really is. Some people think it might turn out to be as high as 19%.

Jesus

Wed January 22, 2020 7:11 pm

JuanHamm wrote:
McParadigm wrote:

Jesus

The earth could use a good culling of humans.

Wed January 22, 2020 7:18 pm

people say that but always forget chaos theory implicates everyone in the end result.

Wed January 22, 2020 7:19 pm

surfndestroy wrote:
JuanHamm wrote:
McParadigm wrote:

Jesus

But I'm a human

Wed January 22, 2020 7:22 pm

JuanHamm wrote:
surfndestroy wrote:
JuanHamm wrote:
McParadigm wrote:

Jesus

But I'm a human

Prove it.

Wed January 22, 2020 7:37 pm

Wed January 22, 2020 7:38 pm

Uhhhh Cloverfield internet

Wed January 22, 2020 7:41 pm

JuanHamm wrote:Uhhhh Cloverfield internet

It’s an older code, sir, but it checks out
Post a reply