The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19045 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 417, 418, 419, 420, 421, 422, 423 ... 953  Next
 Post subject: Re: Anybody want a Corona?
PostPosted: Thu September 17, 2020 6:46 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

verb_to_trust wrote:
Biden called it "xenophobic". I distinctly remember hearing him say it and thinking it was a dumb thing to say. I'm sorry your database of tweets didn't turn it up.

THANK YOU FOR ALL YOU DODOOOO THOUGH MCP

You mean this line? Not actually calling the ban xenophobic:

“We are in the midst of a crisis with the coronavirus. We need to lead the way with science — not Donald Trump’s record of hysteria, xenophobia, and fear-mongering. He is the worst possible person to lead our country through a global health emergency.”

PostPosted: Thu September 17, 2020 6:49 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

Or was it this one? I can't find any other instances. But I'm no sleuth.

"The world officially declared COVID-19 a pandemic. Being overly dismissive is only going to hurt us and further advance the spread of the disease. But neither should we panic or fall back on xenophobia by labeling COVID-19 a foreign virus. It does not displace accountability for the misjudgments that have been taken thus far by the Trump administration"

PostPosted: Thu September 17, 2020 6:56 pm 
Gone

Spoke to my kids' doctor the other day, and he assured me that we're going to get over this.

PostPosted: Thu September 17, 2020 6:59 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

verb_to_trust wrote:
Biden called it "xenophobic". I distinctly remember hearing him say it and thinking it was a dumb thing to say. I'm sorry your database of tweets didn't turn it up.

THANK YOU FOR ALL YOU DODOOOO THOUGH MCP

A presidential nominee calling an executive order xenophobic in a public setting should be the easiest thing in the world for you to demonstrate.

Maybe what you remember is Donald Trump claiming that Joe Biden said this during a Sean Hannity interview on March 24, and getting corrected by fact checkers.

PostPosted: Thu September 17, 2020 7:04 pm 
Gone

He called it xenophobic. I heard it with my own ears. Are you calling me a liar?

PostPosted: Thu September 17, 2020 7:05 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

verb_to_trust wrote:
He called it xenophobic. I heard it with my own ears. Are you calling me a liar?

Just your ears

PostPosted: Thu September 17, 2020 7:07 pm 
Gone

JuanHamm wrote:
verb_to_trust wrote:

Just your ears

The quote ruddo shared is likely what I remember hearing him say. It doesn't take a genius to parse that type of response and understand what he's saying. It's often called a "dog whistle" when the other side does it.

PostPosted: Thu September 17, 2020 7:09 pm 
Gone

PICK YOUR SIDES BOYS. TRIBE UP!! ITS SOOOO HELPFUL!!

PostPosted: Thu September 17, 2020 7:11 pm 
Gone

verb_to_trust wrote:
PICK YOUR SIDES BOYS. TRIBE UP!! ITS SOOOO HELPFUL!!

I LOVE IT WHEN MY PRESIDENT CALLS IT THE CHINA VIRUS.

PostPosted: Thu September 17, 2020 7:13 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

verb_to_trust wrote:
JuanHamm wrote:
verb_to_trust wrote:

Just your ears

The quote ruddo shared is likely what I remember hearing him say. It doesn't take a genius to parse that type of response and understand what he's saying. It's often called a "dog whistle" when the other side does it.

He could have been talking about the Muslim ban.

PostPosted: Thu September 17, 2020 7:15 pm 
Gone

JuanHamm wrote:
verb_to_trust wrote:
JuanHamm wrote:
verb_to_trust wrote:

Just your ears

He could have been talking about the Muslim ban.

A politician like Biden knows how to call something xenophobic without risking blowback. That's what happened here. Like I said, if the other side does it, it's called a dog whistle.

PostPosted: Thu September 17, 2020 7:17 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Yes. He does it by posting his reaction quote in a Facebook post meant to share a Reuters article about something else entirely

PostPosted: Thu September 17, 2020 7:20 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

He did, however, take the time to directly call out by name the Muslim ban that I previously mentioned was expanded on the same day the China travel ban was enacted.

PostPosted: Thu September 17, 2020 7:25 pm 
Gone

Yes, he didn't directly link what he said to the China travel ban. That's what a politician does.

PostPosted: Thu September 17, 2020 7:33 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

verb_to_trust wrote:
Yes, he didn't directly link what he said to the China travel ban. That's what a politician does.

Your entire premise is that Joe Biden (the guy who said poor kids are as smart “as white kids”) craftily snuck the word xenophobia into a post about another topic as a super sneaky dog whistle to Democrats, but was careful not to say it out loud because he was afraid of mass voter blowback (???) during a Democratic primary (???).

I can’t even fathom how that sounds logical to you.

PostPosted: Thu September 17, 2020 7:37 pm 
The Master

the pandemic really broke Verb. Bigly.

PostPosted: Thu September 17, 2020 7:41 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

I need to call someone xenophobic but I want to disguise it with a dog-whistle.
I know! I'll call him xenophobic!

Genius!

PostPosted: Thu September 17, 2020 7:55 pm 
Gone

Strat wrote:
the pandemic really broke Verb. Bigly.

Not really

PostPosted: Thu September 17, 2020 8:06 pm 
Gone

McParadigm wrote:
verb_to_trust wrote:

Your entire premise is that Joe Biden (the guy who said poor kids are as smart “as white kids”) craftily snuck the word xenophobia into a post about another topic as a super sneaky dog whistle to Democrats, but was careful not to say it out loud because he was afraid of mass voter blowback (???) during a Democratic primary (???).

It's pretty simple really. If you're Biden or Nancy or Cuomo or whoever, you have to assume the opposite side of anything Trump does. Now, when a decision to restrict travel to China gets made any normal person would think "gee I don't know, could be the right call I guess". But you can't say something like that if you are Joe Biden running against trump so you spit out a political answer that could be interpreted any which way. If you're some psycho who wants to screech racism, it's there. If youre some 300 lb WFH home doomer basement dweller you can link it to other stuff. Everybody wins.

PostPosted: Thu September 17, 2020 8:57 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

verb_to_trust wrote:
McParadigm wrote:
verb_to_trust wrote:

It's pretty simple really. If you're Biden or Nancy or Cuomo or whoever

That’s right. You remember *multiple* people calling it xenophobic, and you say you heard Joe Biden with your own ears. Yet the best we can find so far are online posts of Joe Biden referring to Trump’s history of xenophobia.

Just step back and consider that sometimes we misremember things (I’ve done it here too), and you don’t have to tie yourself into a knot to make it fit when you realize you’ve got it wrong.

Quote:
Now, when a decision to restrict travel to China gets made any normal person would think "gee I don't know, could be the right call I guess". But you can't say something like that if you are Joe Biden running against trump

Sure you can. You use a backhanded compliment. They’re so ordinary in politics I found one of Biden’s from this week:

Quote:
”I think Trump is going to accidentally do something positive here, in terms of this issue.”

Biden said conditioning the normalization agreement on Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s vow to shelve plans to annex parts of the West Bank was “not a bad thing either.”

But beyond that, again....I can not grasp why you think Joe Biden in February was primarily worried about blowback for attacking Trump in the very manner which he went and did anyways.

Do you honestly think it would have harmed Joe Biden, Democratic primary frontrunner, to say “Banning travel into the US for Chinese nationals while allowing US citizens to continue traveling freely to infected locations, and then come back home without test or restriction...does more to feed his xenophobia than it does to protect this country. It prioritizes his personal dislikes over the need to prevent this virus from reaching our shores?” Do you think that would have been such a disastrous misstep that he was like, “Woah, dude. Better not?” (Quietly, to self) “but I want to.”

Quote:
so you spit out a political answer that could be interpreted any which way.

The Art of the Subtle Implication, by Joe Biden (forward by Corn Pop)

Quote:
If you're some psycho who wants to screech racism, it's there. If youre some 300 lb WFH home doomer basement dweller you can link it to other stuff. Everybody wins.

Did Donald Trump write this paragraph y/n it’s ok you can tell me

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19045 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 417, 418, 419, 420, 421, 422, 423 ... 953  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate