The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19045 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 558, 559, 560, 561, 562, 563, 564 ... 953  Next
 Post subject: Re: Anybody want a Corona?
PostPosted: Thu April 08, 2021 12:11 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

B wrote:
Are Democrats pushing for a vaccine passport?

I've heard lots of Republicans ranting that they will never support a vaccine passport, but I haven't heard any Democrats endorse them.

IIRC, NYC was starting on them but Cali wasn't going to require it. Given the push for voter IDs it seems like the something the red team would want... unless their point is secretly just to block people from voting. ;)

PostPosted: Thu April 08, 2021 1:49 pm 
Gone

4/5 wrote:
I know Broward isn't representative of most of Florida, but I'd say it's very close to 100% of people I see indoors wearing a mask. I honestly can't remember the last time I saw somebody without a mask indoors. I remember that the first week gyms reopened back in like May or June that a guy was working out without one and the employee told him to put it on, but since then I haven't seen anybody even at the gym try to not wear one.

How is that possible though without a specific government mandate?

PostPosted: Thu April 08, 2021 2:59 pm 
See you in another life, brother

verb_to_trust wrote:
4/5 wrote:
I know Broward isn't representative of most of Florida, but I'd say it's very close to 100% of people I see indoors wearing a mask. I honestly can't remember the last time I saw somebody without a mask indoors. I remember that the first week gyms reopened back in like May or June that a guy was working out without one and the employee told him to put it on, but since then I haven't seen anybody even at the gym try to not wear one.

Amazing how that works, huh.

PostPosted: Thu April 08, 2021 3:26 pm 
Future Drummer

4/5 wrote:
verb_to_trust wrote:
4/5 wrote:

Isn't it implied in 4/5's original post that it's (possibly?) not working in most of Florida?

PostPosted: Thu April 08, 2021 3:50 pm 

Rob wrote:
4/5 wrote:
verb_to_trust wrote:
4/5 wrote:

Isn't it implied in 4/5's original post that it's (possibly?) not working in most of Florida?

Well, not to get into the what does "working" mean regarding covid transmission & masks discussion, but yes it's implied that in other parts of the states masks aren't worn as much as they are here. I texted my brother in law who lives on the west coast and he said masks are still required by basically every business and a lot of people wear them but enforcement is pretty lax so he doesn't see pushback against people who aren't wearing them.

PostPosted: Fri April 09, 2021 12:34 am 
what on earth am I talking about

Hang on

Cody is already in this though

PostPosted: Fri April 09, 2021 2:40 am 
Mind Your Tanners

dimejinky99 wrote:
Hang on

Cody is already in this though

Sure is!

PostPosted: Tue April 13, 2021 11:49 am 

6 people out of 4 million doses administered. Surely, I must be missing something.

PostPosted: Tue April 13, 2021 1:10 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

4/5 wrote:
6 people out of 4 million doses administered. Surely, I must be missing something.

Vaccines are watched SUPER carefully. The bar is low for pausing and investigating. They pulled the rotavirus vaccine in the 90s after 11 cases of intussusception among many millions of doses administered.

PostPosted: Tue April 13, 2021 1:18 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

B wrote:
4/5 wrote:

Vaccines are watched SUPER carefully. The bar is low for pausing and investigating. They pulled the rotavirus vaccine in the 90s after 11 cases of intussusception among many millions of doses administered.

It's strange given the number of people dying daily from COVID-19 that they would pull it. If those stats hold, you're about 7x more likely to get hit by lightening during your life, and with summer break almost here we need more people vaccinated now.

Plus: since we will all need boosters this winter, the more one-shot solutions out there the better.

PostPosted: Tue April 13, 2021 1:39 pm 
The Master

vaccine cancel culture is real

PostPosted: Tue April 13, 2021 1:56 pm 
The Master

PostPosted: Tue April 13, 2021 1:59 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

Bi_3 wrote:
B wrote:
4/5 wrote:

It's strange given the number of people dying daily from COVID-19 that they would pull it. If those stats hold, you're about 7x more likely to get hit by lightening during your life, and with summer break almost here we need more people vaccinated now.

Plus: since we will all need boosters this winter, the more one-shot solutions out there the better.

It's a pause. They take a couple days to reassure the public. Otherwise, people call foul and even more refuse to get vaccinated.

Showing this vigilance is important for touting the safety of this and all other vaccines.

PostPosted: Tue April 13, 2021 2:14 pm 
Gone

A lot of people are going to be done with J and J now. I don't think some government stiff coming out in a few days saying all good will change that.

PostPosted: Tue April 13, 2021 3:20 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

The 65% efficacy rate alone would have been enough to steer me away from J&J. Now this.

PostPosted: Tue April 13, 2021 3:30 pm 
Gone

It keeps people out of the hospital or dead. I'm not scared of a higher chance I catch a cold if I'm some 57 year old with co morbidities.

PostPosted: Tue April 13, 2021 3:34 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

verb_to_trust wrote:
A lot of people are going to be done with J and J now. I don't think some government stiff coming out in a few days saying all good will change that.

Can't save the unsavable.

PostPosted: Tue April 13, 2021 4:00 pm 
Gone

B wrote:
verb_to_trust wrote:

If I'm a 25 year old otherwise healthy woman and I read that this thing can cause me to have a rare clotting reaction what's the upside of me taking it? The public health mafia refuses to admit you can live your life normally and not spread the virus after vaccinating. Plus, you're probably going to shake off covid pretty easily where a blood clot in your brain not so much.

PostPosted: Tue April 13, 2021 4:10 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

verb_to_trust wrote:
B wrote:
verb_to_trust wrote:

If I'm a 25 year old otherwise healthy woman and I read that this thing can cause me to have a rare clotting reaction what's the upside of me taking it? The public health mafia refuses to admit you can live your life normally and not spread the virus after vaccinating. Plus, you're probably going to shake off covid pretty easily where a blood clot in your brain not so much.

COVID-19 kills 1.5 out of 100 people who get it. The vaccine MIGHT kill 1 in 6.8 million.

I don't know what the research will bear out, but you're talking about people that have already made the decision, no data in hand, and whether the research that happens this week will change their mind. It will not.

PostPosted: Tue April 13, 2021 4:15 pm 
Gone

B wrote:
verb_to_trust wrote:
B wrote:
verb_to_trust wrote:

COVID-19 kills 1.5 out of 100 people who get it. The vaccine MIGHT kill 1 in 6.8 million.

I don't know what the research will bear out, but you're talking about people that have already made the decision, no data in hand, and whether the research that happens this week will change their mind. It will not.

Adjust your numbers for age and co morbidities. Maybe mathematically you should still get the vaccine but why bother at that point? Why take any risk at all to eliminate risk that is already astronomically low?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19045 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 558, 559, 560, 561, 562, 563, 564 ... 953  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate