The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post subject: Re: Local/State Politics: Engage Now Or Die!
PostPosted: Thu November 07, 2019 6:02 pm 
Future Drummer

[edit]

Last edited by surfndestroy on Thu November 07, 2019 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu November 07, 2019 6:02 pm 
Future Drummer

Green Habit wrote:
B wrote:
Ideally, I agree with this, but downtown Chapel Hill dies a little more each year as people choose to go to other parts of town with better parking. Even giant condo developments have had little impact.

Frankly, if you want take out, you're not gonna wander the streets for 20 minutes looking for a spot or bike, and next thing you know, the awesome empenada place is belly up and the next 3 storefronts are empty too.
I can't speak directly to Chapel Hill, and I understand the prisoner's dilemma that could be at work, but nationwide it doesn't seem like central cities are being abandoned en masse like they were in the latter part of the 20th century. I think there's plenty of demand for both carcentric and non-carcentric lifestyles.

I get takeout all the time by bike. Hell, if Uber Eats and Skip The Dishes can all deliver by bike I don't see why I can't pick it up that same way.

I think it is the last mile transportation options that keep people from work commuting using public transit the most. I bike to work. On miserable days I would like to be able to ride to my nearest skytrain (above ground metro) and be able to safely park my bike. They offer about 8 bike parking spaces and nothing even sheltered from the elements. Every time I see this I basically understand that the people in planning are complete fucktards.

Vancouver continually cheaps out on their infrastructure that just makes it a poor option. When building a second line Skytrain line, to save money the had an east west line not continue to downtown but instead intersect with the existing north south line and have you transfer. That transfer alone easily adds 15 minutes to the commute, as the north south line was already at near capacity so it can take three to four cars to get on and then you are squeezed on Tokyo transit style. It is miserable.

When the east west line went in, the transit company trumpeted the great new service. I live about two miles from the nearest stop. The feeder bus ran every twenty minutes during rush hour and thirty minutes other times. Getting downtown requires two transfers. Down from every 15 minute bus service to downtown during rush hour with no transfers. They tried to tell me that the skytrain service running every 4 minutes made my commute faster. See above comment about them being fucktards.

PostPosted: Thu November 07, 2019 6:06 pm 
Future Drummer

Bammer wrote:
But for people who have points C, D, E etc. built in to their day - cars ain’t going nowhere.
I don't know a single person with kid(s) in daycare that don't drive to work. Even the ones with daycare in their office building. They drive due to how crowded our rush hour public transportation routes are.

Post subject: Re: Transportation
PostPosted: Thu November 07, 2019 6:06 pm 
Production Police

Guys, seriously, whoever changed the title of this thread from the broad topic of "Local Politics" to stupid fucking "transportation" deserves a whupping

PostPosted: Thu November 07, 2019 6:29 pm 
mXn

tragabigzanda wrote:
Guys, seriously, whoever changed the title of this thread from the broad topic of "Local Politics" to stupid fucking "transportation" deserves a whupping

It still exists, but yeah, your shit got modded. Hard.

PostPosted: Thu November 07, 2019 6:32 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

IDK who did it, but it looks like they just separated the transportation discussion.

PostPosted: Thu November 07, 2019 6:35 pm 
See you in another life, brother

Guys...
Green Habit wrote:
I'm splitting this off because I got really off topic and I apologize for that. I also think we need a transportation thread in general to talk about these things as they come up, as it's an important issue.

PostPosted: Thu November 07, 2019 6:36 pm 
Production Police

As long as we still have a place to discuss local politics, I'm happy.

But now which thread should Bammer use for his campaign transportation platform?

PostPosted: Thu November 07, 2019 6:47 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

4/5 wrote:
Guys...
Green Habit wrote:
I'm splitting this off because I got really off topic and I apologize for that. I also think we need a transportation thread in general to talk about these things as they come up, as it's an important issue.

yeah trag, calm down

PostPosted: Thu November 07, 2019 6:49 pm 
See you in another life, brother

tragabigzanda wrote:
As long as we still have a place to discuss local politics, I'm happy.

But now which thread should Bammer use for his campaign transportation platform?

At what point does transportation that occurs within a local jurisdiction affect interstate transportation enough to be consumed by the power of the Transportation thread, granted of course by Article 1, Section 8 of the RM Constitution? Will we just always bow to the whim and caprice of the ominiscient message board Administrator?

PostPosted: Thu November 07, 2019 7:26 pm 
Future Drummer

4/5 wrote:
Is that what the mythical magical negro looks like in the wild?

PostPosted: Fri November 08, 2019 1:07 am 
Looks Like a Cat

This election cycle a giant bond to expand rapid bus and rail passed by a landslide. I'm pretty happy with this.

Granted, on an off-cycle election, the voter turnout was pretty damn low, but still. Makes me excited to think about how handily this passed.

https://www.houstonpublicmedia.org/arti ... -projects/

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate