The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post subject: Re: Paranoid Androids - the Deepfake Thread™
PostPosted: Sat August 31, 2019 4:33 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Bi_3 wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:
Foreign governments will have a field day dropping weapons-grade deepfakes just before election day to destabilize democratic governments. There won't be time to verify them.

Or criminals. Or terrorists. Or activists. Or 8chan.

You can no longer know the legitimacy of any recorded audio or video.

I'd argue that you never knew the legitimacy of any of these things and to believe otherwise is to reinstate a lapsarian theology.

PostPosted: Sat August 31, 2019 4:34 pm 
Production Police

BurtReynolds wrote:
run2death wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
run2death wrote:
You guys can't really be this ignorant about technology.

You guys are joking, right?

How would you tell a fake video from a real one? If you know, you could be a multimillionaire software developer.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/beta.washingtonpost.com/technology/2019/06/12/top-ai-researchers-race-detect-deepfake-videos-we-are-outgunned/%3foutputType=amp

That's because the originals weren't encrypted with specific metadata.

All this would take is some sort of agreement on metadata stamping between media groups.

What good is metadata in determining the authenticity of a secret recording of a politician making racist jokes at a private party, for example? Or leaked video of a politician snorting coke with prostitutes?

Rob Ford peaked about two years too early.

PostPosted: Sat August 31, 2019 4:38 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

Last edited by BurtReynolds on Tue March 07, 2023 3:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat August 31, 2019 4:41 pm 
Rank This Poster

Leave it to the RM conservatives to seek government intervention for a problem that's always existed.

PostPosted: Sat August 31, 2019 4:44 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

Last edited by BurtReynolds on Tue March 07, 2023 3:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat August 31, 2019 4:50 pm 
Rank This Poster

To be clear, my suggestion about metadata wouldn't stop "secret" recordings.

But it would make manipulations easier to identify by wiping the original metadata or appending it upon duplication.

PostPosted: Sat August 31, 2019 4:51 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

There’ll definitely be a tell, but I suspect it will come from the gan itself, in the form of a code footprint which documents the gan’s involvement, and bad actors will seek ways to bypass it. If it’s like other highly manipulatable file types, the security value of the footprint will help it become an industry standard, and we’ll just have to get used to disregarding realistic footage that has a gap in or lacks a footprint.

PostPosted: Sat August 31, 2019 4:54 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

You’ll definitely get a lot of “experts say the footage lacks a footprint, so it’s probably fake, but then how do you explain x,” but that will just be another generational gap in tech literacy. Millennials onward will handle it well, the rest of us will embarrass ourselves.

PostPosted: Sat August 31, 2019 4:55 pm 
Rank This Poster

I'm totally pulling this out of my ass, but I'd assume it would be fairly easy for sites like FB and YouTube to pull the metadata of videos uploaded and mark them as manipulated.

PostPosted: Sat August 31, 2019 4:58 pm 

PostPosted: Sat August 31, 2019 5:00 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

run2death wrote:
I'm totally pulling this out of my ass, but I'd assume it would be fairly easy for sites like FB and YouTube to pull the metadata of videos uploaded and mark them as manipulated.

This might be true, but there are already ways to manipulate that data.

Too many industries depend on reliable video, and video production software developers depend on those industries seeing them as a part of their security apparatus....which is why I suspect you’ll see a standard footprint come together. That’ll be a lot harder for any gan to bypass/upset.

PostPosted: Sat August 31, 2019 5:03 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

McParadigm wrote:
You’ll definitely get a lot of “experts say the footage lacks a footprint, so it’s probably fake, but then how do you explain x,” but that will just be another generational gap in tech literacy. Millennials onward will handle it well, the rest of us will embarrass ourselves.

I’m not following how this works or what you mean by footprint (do you mean fingerprint?) Do you have a link or something that goes into better detail?

PostPosted: Sat August 31, 2019 5:12 pm 
Rank This Poster

The real problem is perception and giving more credence to pictures, video and audio.

It's just a matter of time. Everybody now just assumes every photo is Photoshopped.

That'll happen to video and audio too.

I mean how is this really different than the written word?

Basically, Burt and Jordan don't want people to lie and make up shit.

PostPosted: Sat August 31, 2019 5:16 pm 

PostPosted: Sat August 31, 2019 5:36 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Bi_3 wrote:
McParadigm wrote:

I’m not following how this works or what you mean by footprint (do you mean fingerprint?) Do you have a link or something that goes into better detail?

Yeah, fingerprint is the more colloquially used term, with footprint more often referring to an individual’s information, but in healthcare IT ‘footprint’ is more commonly used (probably because there is a completely different subset of terms for customer data in hc), so I forget that distinction.

PostPosted: Tue September 03, 2019 9:57 pm 

PostPosted: Tue September 03, 2019 10:31 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

i'm just bummed bc this is going to put a damper on the remote workforce that is emerging. how the heck will anyone believe that i was in a video conference, and it wasn't some dude from Cambodia that I hired for $5 to use a deepfake video of my face and voice, so i could be out on the golf course all morning?

PostPosted: Tue March 02, 2021 10:13 pm 

Last edited by BurtReynolds on Tue March 07, 2023 3:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue March 02, 2021 10:34 pm 
Production Police

holy fucking shit

PostPosted: Tue March 02, 2021 11:54 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

kevin costner has a way better ass

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate