Switch to full style
Engage in discussions about news, politics, etc.
Post a reply

Middle Management and the Middle Kingdom - the China Thread™

Tue July 23, 2019 2:51 am

Not sure if this is true or not, but send in the tanks just in case

Re: Middle Management and the Middle Kingdom - the China Thr

Tue August 13, 2019 12:00 am

Is the shit about to go down in Hong Kong?

Tue August 13, 2019 12:51 am

Not sure if the bridges into Hong Kong would support tanks, but in any case it’s going to be tough getting across them with 500k enraged people on the other side.

Tue August 13, 2019 12:52 am

This thread title is the worst video game concept ever

Tue August 13, 2019 1:32 pm

made by burt

let me guess, next youll be shocked when someone tells you water is wet?

Tue August 13, 2019 3:24 pm

It does increasingly look like Xi might be prepared to turn this into something horrific. I’ve been wondering if the handful of tariff concessions China made this morning were a bit of a negotiation: “we’ll let you go into the election cycle claiming your trade war works, and in exchange the United States government stays quiet about upcoming actions in Hong Kong.”

Tue August 13, 2019 3:35 pm

tragabigzanda wrote:This thread title is the worst video game concept ever

I don't feel too good about this one. If anyone has a better suggestion for a thread title, I'm all for it.

Tue August 13, 2019 3:53 pm

I can't imagine western countries doing much more than issuing a sternly worded letter. The world economy is too interconnected and dependent on Chinese manufacturing to do much more than that, and for some reason we've decided that resisting China is futile. Trump might do something more, but that's because he's crazy. I don't think Hong Kong is enough of an economic force to resist if China really decided to crack down or assimilate them, but maybe I'm getting ahead of myself.

Wed August 14, 2019 1:53 am

BurtReynolds wrote:I can't imagine western countries doing much more than issuing a sternly worded letter. The world economy is too interconnected and dependent on Chinese manufacturing to do much more than that, and for some reason we've decided that resisting China is futile. Trump might do something more, but that's because he's crazy. I don't think Hong Kong is enough of an economic force to resist if China really decided to crack down or assimilate them, but maybe I'm getting ahead of myself.

I mean, what would we do if Hawaii decided to tell us to take our telescope and fuck off?

Wed August 14, 2019 2:39 am

Bi_3 wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:I can't imagine western countries doing much more than issuing a sternly worded letter. The world economy is too interconnected and dependent on Chinese manufacturing to do much more than that, and for some reason we've decided that resisting China is futile. Trump might do something more, but that's because he's crazy. I don't think Hong Kong is enough of an economic force to resist if China really decided to crack down or assimilate them, but maybe I'm getting ahead of myself.

I mean, what would we do if Hawaii decided to tell us to take our telescope and fuck off?

Ohana means family.

Wed August 14, 2019 3:13 am

Hawaii is rightfully a monarchy and will be again.

Mon August 19, 2019 3:58 am

I don’t totally get it, but it doesn’t sound good

WaPo: The quantum revolution is coming, and Chinese scientists are at the forefront
https://www.washingtonpost.com/business ... forefront/

Sun August 25, 2019 3:38 am

The war against the machines has begun

Thu October 03, 2019 5:36 pm

One of you assholes who give these people money read this and tell me what it says.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wor ... -revealed/

Mon October 07, 2019 1:58 am

"Every new technology necessitates a new war."

Marshall McLuhan (1968)

Mon October 07, 2019 3:09 am

suck that China cock, NBA

Mon October 07, 2019 3:14 am

BurtReynolds wrote:One of you assholes who give these people money read this and tell me what it says.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wor ... -revealed/

According to Kitto's story, Xi was hit in the back with a chair hurled during a contentious meeting of "the red second generation." These meetings of the Communist Party old guard's elite and now-adult children, which includes Xi, come with a lot of baggage. Old rivalries, petty squabbles, and apparently fights that include flying chairs. Here's Kitto:

The meeting turned violent. They went at it hammer and sickle. Xi Jinping tried to calm them down. He put himself physically in the crossfire and unwittingly into the path of a chair as it was thrown across the room. It hit him in the back, injuring him. Hence the absence, and the silence, and the rumours.

It's a plausible story, but given its single anonymous source, probably best taken as an interesting but not yet verified account.

Mon October 07, 2019 3:42 am

It's absolute horseshit if Morey suffers, professional or otherwise, for that tweet.

Mon October 07, 2019 3:54 am

Green Habit wrote:It's absolute horseshit if Morey suffers, professional or otherwise, for that tweet.

Yup

Mon October 07, 2019 4:37 pm

Monkey_Driven wrote:
Green Habit wrote:It's absolute horseshit if Morey suffers, professional or otherwise, for that tweet.

Yup
I'm very happy to see that there is bipartisan outrage to this.

The general spirit of the Free Speech Clause being accepted as a wide consensus is one of the better development in American politics in the last 40 years or so.
Post a reply