The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: The US Census / Citizenship Question
PostPosted: Thu July 11, 2019 11:58 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

This would be a lot easier if we simply tattooed barcodes on all our foreheads.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Fri July 12, 2019 6:17 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

This will never not be amazing to think about

PostPosted: Fri July 12, 2019 7:03 pm 
Production Police

I’m more impressed that the New Yorker is still in print. It’s like the most milqueoast print publication targeted at a large (ageing) audience yet somehow it soldiers on.

PostPosted: Fri July 12, 2019 7:04 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

tragabigzanda wrote:
I’m more impressed that the New Yorker is still in print. It’s like the most milqueoast print publication targeted at a large (ageing) audience yet somehow it soldiers on.

There are a lot of people who desire to appear to have read books without actually reading books, so.

PostPosted: Fri July 12, 2019 10:55 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

It really is the worst. I'm glad we can all agree on something.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Thu March 19, 2020 6:32 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

Census 2020 - done.

PostPosted: Tue August 10, 2021 2:43 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Quote:
For the first time in the history of the country’s census taking, the number of White people in the United States is widely expected to show a decline when the first racial breakdowns from the 2020 Census are reported this week.

For five years now, the U.S. Census Bureau’s annual updates of the 2010 Census have estimated that the nation’s White population is shrinking, and all population growth has been from people of color.

The new census data, planned for release on Aug. 12, will show definitively how the ethnic, racial and voting-age makeup of neighborhoods shifted over the past decade, based on the national house-to-house canvass last year. It is the data most state legislatures and local governments use to redraw political districts for the next 10 years.

If the White decline is confirmed by the new data, that benchmark will have come about eight years earlier than previously projected, said William Frey, a demographer at the Brookings Institution.

“Twenty years ago if you told people this was going to be the case, they wouldn’t have believed you,” he said, adding that the opioid epidemic and lower-than-anticipated birthrates among millennials after the Great Recession accelerated the White population’s decline. “The country is changing dramatically.”

The United States is also expected to have passed two other milestones on its way to becoming a majority-minority society in a few decades: For the first time ever, the portion of White people could dip below 60 percent and the under-18 population is likely to be majority non-White.

Whites are expected to account for over half the growth in only five states, plus the District of Columbia. In 26 states, the number of Whites has declined, according to bureau estimates. Up to six states and the District could have majorities of people of color, including Nevada and Maryland, which — if they pass that marker — will have done so in just the past decade.

The trend is projected to continue, with Whites falling below 50 percent nationally around 2045, Frey said, adding that, at that point, there will be no racial majority in the country.

Between 2015 and 2060, the Hispanic and Asian populations are expected to approximately double in size, and the multiracial population could triple due to both immigration and births.

PostPosted: Tue August 10, 2021 2:57 pm 
Production Police

Clutches pearls that were harvested in Indonesia

PostPosted: Tue August 10, 2021 3:04 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

McParadigm wrote:
Quote:
For the first time in the history of the country’s census taking, the number of White people in the United States is widely expected to show a decline when the first racial breakdowns from the 2020 Census are reported this week.

For five years now, the U.S. Census Bureau’s annual updates of the 2010 Census have estimated that the nation’s White population is shrinking, and all population growth has been from people of color.

The new census data, planned for release on Aug. 12, will show definitively how the ethnic, racial and voting-age makeup of neighborhoods shifted over the past decade, based on the national house-to-house canvass last year. It is the data most state legislatures and local governments use to redraw political districts for the next 10 years.

If the White decline is confirmed by the new data, that benchmark will have come about eight years earlier than previously projected, said William Frey, a demographer at the Brookings Institution.

“Twenty years ago if you told people this was going to be the case, they wouldn’t have believed you,” he said, adding that the opioid epidemic and lower-than-anticipated birthrates among millennials after the Great Recession accelerated the White population’s decline. “The country is changing dramatically.”

The United States is also expected to have passed two other milestones on its way to becoming a majority-minority society in a few decades: For the first time ever, the portion of White people could dip below 60 percent and the under-18 population is likely to be majority non-White.

Whites are expected to account for over half the growth in only five states, plus the District of Columbia. In 26 states, the number of Whites has declined, according to bureau estimates. Up to six states and the District could have majorities of people of color, including Nevada and Maryland, which — if they pass that marker — will have done so in just the past decade.

The trend is projected to continue, with Whites falling below 50 percent nationally around 2045, Frey said, adding that, at that point, there will be no racial majority in the country.

Between 2015 and 2060, the Hispanic and Asian populations are expected to approximately double in size, and the multiracial population could triple due to both immigration and births.

This is why it's so important to teach children identity politics now.

PostPosted: Tue August 10, 2021 4:29 pm 
Site Admin

Did the 2020 Census still do the Hispanic White/Hispanic Black subclassification, or are they now identifying Hispanics as a race of its own? Because if it's latter, it wouldn't surprise me down the road if many Hispanics end up assimilating.

PostPosted: Tue August 10, 2021 5:22 pm 
See you in another life, brother

Capitalizing "white" now, too?

PostPosted: Tue August 10, 2021 5:31 pm 
Production Police

At some recent point I think the AP style guide must’ve made that change because I’m seeing it everywhere now

PostPosted: Tue August 10, 2021 5:41 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

PostPosted: Tue August 10, 2021 6:47 pm 
Production Police

Ahh, didn’t realize WaPo had their own style guide. That’s probably where I’ve seen it the majority of times, plus some academic places.

PostPosted: Tue August 10, 2021 7:26 pm 
Site Admin

I definitely think both should be capitalized, but it's been such a force of habit to capitalize neither that it's going to take me a while to get used to it.

PostPosted: Tue August 10, 2021 7:28 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

McParadigm wrote:
This will never not be amazing to think about

I had missed this.

Crazy story.

PostPosted: Thu August 12, 2021 5:31 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

PostPosted: Thu August 12, 2021 5:39 pm 
Production Police

The important question is to what extent is it rural flight vs generational brain drain and deaths.

PostPosted: Thu August 12, 2021 10:08 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

real estate of love and trust

PostPosted: Thu August 12, 2021 10:36 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Not sure I get this one but..

Evacuation
Re-Lease
Given to Flight
Not for Uhaul

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate