The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: The US Census / Citizenship Question
PostPosted: Wed July 03, 2019 10:40 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

I'm not sure which I want more... my own death or theirs.

PostPosted: Wed July 03, 2019 10:48 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

durdencommatyler wrote:
:?

I too frown at the idea of democratically elected officials representing the citizens who vote for them

PostPosted: Wed July 03, 2019 10:54 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Bi_3 wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

I too frown at the idea of democratically elected officials representing the citizens who vote for them

Frown? Did you have a stroke?

PostPosted: Wed July 03, 2019 11:05 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

durdencommatyler wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

ITS JUST HOW MY FACE IS

PostPosted: Wed July 03, 2019 11:12 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Bi_3 wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

ITS JUST HOW MY FACE IS

And your face is beautiful :heartbeat:

PostPosted: Thu July 04, 2019 3:03 am 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

USA! USA! USA!

PostPosted: Mon July 08, 2019 12:54 am 
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon July 08, 2019 1:16 am 
Production Police

I wonder what marginalized person he’ll attack tomorrow morning to bury that story

PostPosted: Mon July 08, 2019 1:34 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

I cannot imagine the amount of internal distortion required to look at the actual things said by the creators of and the legal defense team for this question, and say “this is being done for reasons other than to imbalance the representation of political ideologies in this country.”

PostPosted: Mon July 08, 2019 1:56 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

PostPosted: Mon July 08, 2019 3:21 am 
mXn

Current oval office occupant notwithstanding, what is inherently wrong about counting the population of a country and tallying how many are citizens or not?

PostPosted: Mon July 08, 2019 11:07 am 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

Bammer wrote:
Current oval office occupant notwithstanding, what is inherently wrong about counting the population of a country and tallying how many are citizens or not?

The main argument is that immigrants documented and undocumented will avoid the census due to mistrust causing under reporting in areas with large immigrant populations and a loss of federal services to those area despite their need.

PostPosted: Mon July 08, 2019 12:14 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

B wrote:
Bammer wrote:

The main argument is that immigrants documented and undocumented will avoid the census due to mistrust causing under reporting in areas with large immigrant populations and a loss of federal services to those area despite their need.

Or a redirection of federal dollars to areas with citizens that need them. But hey... tomato, tomato. The underlying concern is that it might increase representation from traditionally republican voter bases and areas at the expense of the blue team as technically in our representative democracy model the elected officials are suppose to represent the voters and not just individuals who are presently in the country.

PostPosted: Mon July 08, 2019 2:02 pm 
Site Admin

B wrote:
Bammer wrote:
Furthermore, I don't think we can add a "[c]urrent oval office occupant notwithstanding" disclaimer to this. This might be a different story if this question was being added by an administration that doesn't have such a strict reputation when it comes to immigration.

PostPosted: Mon July 08, 2019 2:17 pm 
Production Police

Green Habit wrote:
B wrote:
Bammer wrote:
Furthermore, I don't think we can add a "[c]urrent oval office occupant notwithstanding" disclaimer to this. This might be a different story if this question was being added by an administration that doesn't have such a strict reputation when it comes to immigration.

And that’s about the long and short of it for me: I’d be fine with the question if the administration weren’t locking kids in cages.

PostPosted: Mon July 08, 2019 4:29 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

Bi_3 wrote:
B wrote:
Bammer wrote:

Or a redirection of federal dollars to areas with citizens that need them. But hey... tomato, tomato. The underlying concern is that it might increase representation from traditionally republican voter bases and areas at the expense of the blue team as technically in our representative democracy model the elected officials are suppose to represent the voters and not just individuals who are presently in the country.

Not according to the Constitution. "Representatives shall be apportioned among the several States according to their respective numbers, counting the whole number of persons in each State, excluding Indians not taxed."

Also, I'm not sure if your complaint is that communities would get funding/representation based on undocumented immigrants only or also non-citizen residents, because presumably both would be under reported due to individuals being uncomfortable cooperating with a census worker asking about their citizenship status.

PostPosted: Mon July 08, 2019 4:55 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

There's also of course the inanity of presuming that undocumented peoples just don't use government funded programs if they're not counted in the census, or that not counting them will allow you to direct the (reduced) funding solely to the citizens of that locality.

PostPosted: Mon July 08, 2019 5:14 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

i believe i am documented thank you

PostPosted: Mon July 08, 2019 5:22 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Peeps wrote:
i believe i am documented thank you

Oh, you've been documented, all right.

PostPosted: Mon July 08, 2019 11:20 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Bi_3 wrote:
Or a redirection of federal dollars to areas with citizens that need them.

What a magnificent way to decimate healthcare access for every sagging rural community that relies on federal funding determined by their population to prop up their feeble infrastructure. Added bonus: you’ll put the local nurses, who are often based out of the retirement communities and tend to be exceptionally locally popular and among the most educated people in town, out of a job.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate