The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post subject: Martin Luther King, Jr.
PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 8:20 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

Some disturbing information about the life of MLK has been made available and public and was recently published by one of the worlds leading historians on the man. Some of these revelations are shocking and pretty awful. I don’t even know what to make of it, but it’s damn sure worth the read and some consideration.

Quote:
What Are We Supposed to Think of Martin Luther King Jr. Now?

The British newsmagazine Standpoint hit newsstands in England today featuring an article titled “The Troubling Legacy of Martin Luther King” with the subtitle “Newly revealed documents portray the great civil rights leader as a sexual libertine who ‘laughed’ as a forcible rape took place.” The article is written by historian David J. Garrow, winner of the Pulitzer Prize for his 1986 biography, Bearing the Cross: Martin Luther King Jr. and the Southern Christian Leadership Conference.

The story of how the article came to be is striking. Garrow claims to have learned of new information after hearing that King-related materials had been “dumped” on the National Archives website.

Garrow claims that as he went through these materials what he found were never-before-seen documents from FBI files and surveillance summaries, that he writes “silently slipped into public view on the Archives’ lightly-annotated and difficult-to-explore website.” According to his account, many of these came from tens of thousands of government documents from congressional investigations of U.S. intelligence agencies. They are among over 54,000 web links that led to multi-document PDFs, that took him many weeks to go through.

According to an editorial in the same issue, Garrow came to publish this extraordinary piece at Standpoint after it had been accepted by, and then killed at, the Guardian and subsequently rejected by the Atlantic.

Those in the civil rights movement and close to it knew of King’s reputation as a womanizer who cheated on his wife regularly. They thought, as Garrow himself told the U.K. newspaper, the Sunday Times, that he had perhaps about 10 or 12 other women—not the 40 to 45 alleged in the newly discovered FBI files. The charges are so serious and troubling that Garrow reached the conclusion that King’s indifference to, or approval of, a rape he witnessed and encouraged, “poses so fundamental a challenge to the historical stature as to require the most complete and extensive historical review possible.”

Here is a rough summation of Garrow’s new findings:

King had scores of extramarital affairs. When his wife complained that he was hardly ever home, he advised her, the FBI said, to “go out and have some sexual affairs of her own.”
The FBI bugged the various hotel rooms he was booked to stay in as he traveled the country, recording everything that took place. Sometimes they were in the room next door to King’s, as was the case in the Willard Hotel when King stayed there in 1964.
King used his position as the pastor of his church to pick out women from his own parish to sleep with, and pressure them into going along.
King witnessed and egged on the rape of a parishioner by his friend Logan Kearse, pastor of a Baltimore Baptist church.
King may well have had a daughter from his serious relationship with Dolores Evans, a Los Angeles girlfriend. He is alleged to have regularly paid Evans for child support, although he never acknowledged being father of her baby. Evans is alive, as is the daughter who might have been sired by King, Dr. Chrystal Evans-Bowman. Neither have talked to the press, despite many requests for an interview.
There is another aspect of the revelations that do not relate to King’s sexual life and which are very important. After J. Edgar Hoover spoke to Robert F. Kennedy, King was advised to break his contact with Stanley Levison, a man who advised King, gave his movement money, and was a secret member of the American Communist Party. The history of the civil rights movement has always assumed that King took this advice to heart.

The new documents suggest, however, that King secretly both kept up his contact with Levison and continued to take large amounts of money from him. These funds came essentially from the CPUSA, and thus from the Soviet Union. From 1957 through 1962, Levison gave what Garrow calls “the astonishing amounts” of a total of $76,500; the equivalent of $650,000 today. Levison was in charge of handling all CPUSA funds, including those secretly coming from the Soviet Union, which helped finance the American Communist Party. At a time when segregationist Mississippi Senator James Eastland was accusing the civil rights movement of being run by Communists, such knowledge, had it come out, could have had damaging effects on it.

As a historian who wrote the first major biography of King and a separate book The FBI and Martin Luther King,Jr., Garrow’s new revelations must be taken seriously. His article appears in a distinguished British newspaper, not a Murdoch British rag or a tabloid such as our country’s National Enquirer.

Undoubtedly, people like Roy Moore, Richard Spencer, David Duke, and various alt-right hangers-on will revel in this news and argue that it demolishes Martin Luther King Jr.’s standing as an American hero.

That would be the wrong conclusion to take.

King was a man who risked his own life by practicing non-violence and who publicly rejected the two primary alternatives to the civil rights movement: black nationalism and racial separatism. He rejected the use of guns in the fight against the oppressors, especially the police. Because of this, the more radical groups were not fond of King and called him the Uncle Tom of the movement.

Let me not mince words. King’s behavior toward women should not be buried or excused. They should be condemned.

But does acknowledging these truths mean that we can no longer recognize King’s accomplishments as a civil rights leader? Does it mean we have to ignore what he said in his powerful sermons and writings? Does it diminish his “Letter from a Birmingham Jail”? It was there that King wrote that citizens had “not only a legal but a moral responsibility to obey just laws,” and at the same time “to disobey unjust laws.”

Remember, King led an entire community to risk everything on behalf of freedom, fighting off Bull Connor’s police dogs and fire hoses as they were unleashed on unarmed citizens protesting for their rights as American citizens.

Our leaders are human. King was deeply flawed in his view of women and his sexual proclivities. It is obvious, reading Garrow’s quotation from King’s sermon on March 3, 1968, that he was alluding to himself when he said “There is a schizophrenia . . . going on in all of us. There are times that all of us know somehow that there is a Mr. Hyde and a Dr. Jekyll in us.” God, King said, “does not judge us by the separate incidents or the separate mistakes that we make, but by the total bent of our lives.”

The word “mistake” does not begin to cover King’s behavior toward women. But King is yet another reminder that good men can do bad things, and even bad men can sometimes accomplish great goods. How do we balance those ledgers in a final accounting? It’s hard. It’s messy. And there are no neat or obvious answers.

Some thought Garrow should keep his discoveries under wraps, but it is the job of the historian to tell the truth. This is especially true for a historian who has already devoted a good chunk of his career to chronicling the man’s life. It would not be too much to say that Garrow had almost a unique duty to write this piece.

It is unfortunate that the racists among us will cheer this news. But that is not an excuse to keep the truth hidden.

If Garrow is right that a “profoundly painful historical reckoning and reconsideration” is upon us, then so be it. We are better off confronting the truth than living with a comfortable lie.

Link:
https://thebulwark.com/what-are-we-supp ... 039JfZX1nA

Post subject: Re: Martin Luther King, Jr.
PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 8:55 pm 
Rank This Poster

I didn't read all of this, skimmed a lot of it. I couldn't care less about his extramarital affairs or how many women he slept with. But the rape thing sounds terrible.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 9:31 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

I feel like this will be a test of "cancel culture" in that people will have to come to terms with how people can do amazing things and at the same time some pretty awful things, and the awful doesn't always cancel out the good.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 9:47 pm 

The rape accusation is the most terrible thing, for sure. The connection and taking large sums of money from the Soviet Communist Party is another troubling revelation.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 9:54 pm 

Nice delete, chud

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 10:03 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

We've been talking about this a little bit in the Cosby thread, starting here: viewtopic.php?p=1351765#p1351765

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 10:07 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

Last edited by BurtReynolds on Tue March 07, 2023 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 10:08 pm 

BurtReynolds wrote:
I don't care much about the vices of dead men who did great things.

Rape isn’t so much a “vice”. I also agree that he did great things. But if we’re (as a society) gonna be tearing down statues and monuments of anyone (dead men) in history that did something we didn’t like, how do we pick and choose which people to vilify and which to continue to glorify?

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 10:14 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

Last edited by BurtReynolds on Tue March 07, 2023 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 10:20 pm 

BurtReynolds wrote:
PHATJ wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:
I don't care much about the vices of dead men who did great things.

Rape isn’t so much a “vice”.

The lesson "great people may be terrible in other ways" is not a lesson I need to learn.

Nor do I. I’m very comfortable with the idea. I don’t think the general population is as forgiving capable of separating the two.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 11:27 pm 
Gone

So PhatJ is conflicted about MLK but voted for Trump? GTFOH with that bullshit.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 11:27 pm 
Site Admin

No person is infallible, hence the danger of hero worshipping any person too much.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 11:39 pm 
The Master

hey the 60's were a groovy time man

PostPosted: Sat June 01, 2019 12:03 am 

verb_to_trust wrote:

Trump didn’t rape anyone, you dolt. Plus I explicitly said in the first post that “I don’t know what to make of this”.

PostPosted: Sat June 01, 2019 12:17 am 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

PHATJ wrote:
Trump didn’t rape anyone, you dolt.

Hmmmmmmmmmm

PostPosted: Sat June 01, 2019 12:38 am 
Major Dude

PHATJ wrote:
verb_to_trust wrote:

Trump didn’t rape anyone, you dolt. Plus I explicitly said in the first post that “I don’t know what to make of this”.

I’m sure all the various women he’s sexually assaulted would agree with you.

PostPosted: Sat June 01, 2019 12:40 am 
I Have A Third Nipple

theplatypus wrote:
PHATJ wrote:
Trump didn’t rape anyone, you dolt.

Hmmmmmmmmmm

Imagine, just for one second, owning yourself this hard.

PostPosted: Sat June 01, 2019 12:56 am 

You guys are demented :shake:

PostPosted: Sat June 01, 2019 12:57 am 

And your Trump derangement syndrome doesn’t even allow you to have a conversation about the topic at hand. If you want to start a “Trump raped...” thread, go for it.

PostPosted: Sat June 01, 2019 1:18 am 
The Master

Just grab em by the pussy mates.

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate