The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post subject: Re: Martin Luther King, Jr.
PostPosted: Sat June 01, 2019 2:03 am 
Gone

PHATJ wrote:
verb_to_trust wrote:
Strat wrote:
Trump doesn’t just talk crudely.

Everyone knows that but it makes people like PhatJ feel better to use that type of adjective.

The fuck are you talking about?

Nothing bro. Its just RM locker room talk.

PostPosted: Sat June 01, 2019 2:07 am 
10Club Complaint Department

verb_to_trust wrote:
PHATJ wrote:
verb_to_trust wrote:
Strat wrote:
Trump doesn’t just talk crudely.

Everyone knows that but it makes people like PhatJ feel better to use that type of adjective.

The fuck are you talking about?

Nothing bro. Its just RM locker room talk.

Substance over lame put downs, dude. You hate Trump, I get it. I don’t care if you hate him. That’s fine. Live your life.

Let me ask you this. If these allegations against MLK turn out to be provably true, how (if at all) do you think that would change his legacy?

PostPosted: Sat June 01, 2019 2:10 am 
Gone

Substance over lame put downs, says the supporter of the Twitter troll in chief

PostPosted: Sat June 01, 2019 2:11 am 
I Have A Third Nipple

PHATJ wrote:
I have no idea what “white grievance politics” even is.

Have you ever heard people insist that African Americans stop complaining because slavery ended years ago and none of us were alive then? Have you ever seen one of those memes that says, "THERE WERE MORE IRISH SLAVES THAN BLACK SLAVES AND THEY DON'T COMPLAIN"? Or heard people discussing how the whites are becoming a minority in the country and are being left behind? Or that their history is being erased? Those are examples of white grievance politics.

PostPosted: Sat June 01, 2019 2:15 am 

Let me also say that it fairly obvious the greater good that MLK did for the human race outweighs much of this in my mind, maybe all of it. Though if the rape allegation is true it’s hard not to be disturbed by that. And my reason for starting this thread was to discuss that conundrum. He was obviously a tremendous figure in American history. His positive influence on our history rivals nearly anyone. That doesn’t change. However, if he’s also proven to be a rapist do we stop celebrating him like we have several other historical figures? I’m not saying we should, I’m wondering what other opinions are on that.

PostPosted: Sat June 01, 2019 2:17 am 

verb_to_trust wrote:

Stay off Twitter if it bothers you. And do you have to mimic the behavior of the man you loathe in order to feel good about yourself?

PostPosted: Sat June 01, 2019 2:18 am 
Gone

PHATJ wrote:
verb_to_trust wrote:

Stay off Twitter if it bothers you. And do you have to mimic the behavior of the man you loathe in order to feel good about yourself?

Come on dude. You have to know how hypocritical your statement was.

PostPosted: Sat June 01, 2019 2:22 am 
The Master

PHATJ wrote:
Let me also say that it fairly obvious the greater good that MLK did for the human race outweighs much of this in my mind, maybe all of it. Though if the rape allegation is true it’s hard not to be disturbed by that. And my reason for starting this thread was to discuss that conundrum. He was obviously a tremendous figure in American history. His positive influence on our history rivals nearly anyone. That doesn’t change. However, if he’s also proven to be a rapist do we stop celebrating him like we have several other historical figures? I’m not saying we should, I’m wondering what other opinions are on that.

Maybe I should re read the article. So correct me if I’m wrong. But was he actually raping or witness to?

Both are bad.

And also is there actual audio evidence ? Don’t forget the Government was doing everything in its power to to take him down.

Extra marital affairs? Zzz’s. Don’t care.

The discussion is worthy but check your hypocrisy

PostPosted: Sat June 01, 2019 2:24 am 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

Last edited by BurtReynolds on Tue March 07, 2023 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat June 01, 2019 2:25 am 

Simple Torture wrote:
PHATJ wrote:
I have no idea what “white grievance politics” even is.

Have you ever heard people insist that African Americans stop complaining because slavery ended years ago and none of us were alive then? Have you ever seen one of those memes that says, "THERE WERE MORE IRISH SLAVES THAN BLACK SLAVES AND THEY DON'T COMPLAIN"? Or heard people discussing how the whites are becoming a minority in the country and are being left behind? Or that their history is being erased? Those are examples of white grievance politics.

I’ve heard of those things. I don’t really play those games. But I do think that we selectively choose our outrages as a society based on group think and intellectual dishonesty at times. I’m not specifically saying that about the things you gave as examples, but I’m certain that sheepish behavior and an inability to critically think (especially about long term consequences of emotional decisions) and the “me-first” mentality have hurt the positive progression of society and have harmed race relations. Both sides are guilty of this.

PostPosted: Sat June 01, 2019 2:28 am 
The Master

Also I’m on my phone so I will not add anything substantial. Per usual

PostPosted: Sat June 01, 2019 2:30 am 
Gone

I don't see how any rape or accessory to rape could be proven to me beyond a reasonable doubt. That, combined with the well known attempts by the government at the time to ruin him and I I can just disregard this completely.

Trying to take apart MLKs legacy seems like exactly the type of thing the current conservative movement in our country would be interested in doing and I refuse to play that game.

PostPosted: Sat June 01, 2019 2:31 am 

Strat wrote:
PHATJ wrote:

Maybe I should re read the article. So correct me if I’m wrong. But was he actually raping or witness to?

Both are bad.

And also is there actual audio evidence ? Don’t forget the Government was doing everything in its power to to take him down.

Extra marital affairs? Zzz’s. Don’t care.

The discussion is worthy but check your hypocrisy

The allegation is that he witnessed, encouraged, and laughed at a rape in progress.

I don’t care about the affairs either, that’s why I never mentioned it.

I understand the government was trying to “take him down” and taking all of this with a healthy critical eye is appropriate. I also believe the Pulitzer Prize winning author that wrote the article has spent his entire career researching MLK and probably wouldn’t just silly billy throw these kinds of allegations out there if he personally wasn’t convinced there was potentially truth there.

What hypocrisy!?!

PostPosted: Sat June 01, 2019 2:32 am 

Strat wrote:
Also I’m on my phone so I will not add anything substantial. Per usual

I’m on my phone too.

PostPosted: Sat June 01, 2019 2:35 am 

verb_to_trust wrote:
I don't see how any rape or accessory to rape could be proven to me beyond a reasonable doubt. That, combined with the well known attempts by the government at the time to ruin him and I I can just disregard this completely.

Trying to take apart MLKs legacy seems like exactly the type of thing the current conservative movement in our country would be interested in doing and I refuse to play that game.

Trying to cover up a potential rape is way easier emotionally, your right. Just like blaming Trump for everything is now.

This isn’t even a political issue! It’s a human interest and historical issue. Again, not everything is about Trump. Jesus.

PostPosted: Sat June 01, 2019 2:38 am 

Time to hang out with my kids and do bedtime. See ya later guys.

PostPosted: Sat June 01, 2019 2:39 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

this is going great so far keep it up team

PostPosted: Sat June 01, 2019 2:42 am 
The Master

has anybody here ever been raped by a black guy?

PostPosted: Sat June 01, 2019 2:45 am 
Gone

lennytheweedwhacker wrote:
has anybody here ever been raped by a black guy?

We'll have to ask this MLK historian guy I guess.

PostPosted: Sat June 01, 2019 3:04 am 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate