The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: What have you been wrong about?
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 9:24 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
theplatypus wrote:
Plastic straw ban

Which side were you on

I was initially in favor of a ban. Now I think we would do well to reduce our use of single-use plastics but I no longer support a ban on plastic straws specifically

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 9:37 pm 
The Master

doug rr wrote:
i was wrong thinking that lenny was just one person...

wait a second

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 3:33 am 
Rank This Poster

Indie Rock

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 6:40 pm 
Broken Tamborine

I used to believe the gender wage gap was solely due to sexism.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 5:09 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

theplatypus wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
theplatypus wrote:
Plastic straw ban

Which side were you on

I was initially in favor of a ban. Now I think we would do well to reduce our use of single-use plastics but I no longer support a ban on plastic straws specifically

Was it the first time you had to use a paper straw in a movie theater? :P

The straw banning thing was disturbing primarily because of how fast it spread. Banning single use grocery bags seemed to go through the normal deliberative channels in most localities. The straw thing seemed to get fast tracked

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 2:07 pm 
Site Admin

simple schoolboy wrote:
The straw banning thing was disturbing primarily because of how fast it spread. Banning single use grocery bags seemed to go through the normal deliberative channels in most localities. The straw thing seemed to get fast tracked
As I understand it, it took one viral picture of a turtle with a straw up its nose to spark this. Emotions really have a way of turning things that are hardly a problem into a perceived crisis.

I wish the Anti-Disposable Plastic Brigade would turn their attention to bottled water, as that has the added scourge of being a ripoff.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 2:12 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

simple schoolboy wrote:
theplatypus wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
theplatypus wrote:
Plastic straw ban

Which side were you on

Was it the first time you had to use a paper straw in a movie theater? :P

It was when I read first-hand accounts by disabled people

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 2:33 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

cutuphalfdead wrote:
Also I really thought they were about to find Maura Murray's body last month.

Somehow I don't remember this case, but I'm digging through it right now.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 9:45 pm 
Poster of the Year

Simple Torture wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:

I was at UMass when she went missing.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 9:56 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

cutuphalfdead wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:

I was at UMass when she went missing.

:shock:

is this... is this a confession?

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 9:57 pm 
Future Drummer

Green Habit wrote:
--- wrote:
The Jay Cutler trade - There's some gray here, but I way overvalued draft capital here. Cutler obviously wasn't a franchise quarterback, but that's an issue with Chicago's evaluation of the player, not their valuation of the position. You pay two firsts and a third every day of the week for a franchise quarterback.
Interesting to see this, because in the postmortem Denver came out way better than Chicago despite having to suffer one (very painful) bad season. Sure, they had some luck to get there, but had they kept Cutler the Broncos likely still end up treading around the 8-10 win level in the 2010s like they did in the 2000s, instead of becoming the only team in the AFC regularly capable of stopping the Patriots from going to the Super Bowl.

Now, if you want to see my biggest swing and miss related to the Broncos/NFL, it was wanting Marcell Dareus over Von Miller in the 2011 NFL Draft. I was a complete moron to have been valuing an interior DL over an edge rusher. Never been happier to have been so wrong. Though it looks like you also overvalued Dareus--even over Auburn hero Cam Newton!

I can't find the post but I remember thinking that Tavon Austin was going to be the next Warrick Dunn.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 10:05 pm 
See you in another life, brother

I thought there was going to be high inflation because of quantitative easing and that there was going to be a double dip recession post 2009. I didn't think that housing was going to recover like it has. I didn't think Trump had any chance of winning the nomination, let alone the presidency. I thought that the stock market was going to be extremely volatile throughout the Trump administration in spite of his tax and regulatory policies because I felt that the market valued predictability and stability, but it seems that the market has mostly tuned out his rhetoric and tweetstorms. (While there has been increased volatility in the last year, this still counts as a giant L for me--I thought that the extended bull market run was going to end when he won the election and that we would routinely see huge swings whenever he tweeted some asinine economic policy. Thankfully I didn't act upon this mistaken thinking, though.)

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 10:14 pm 
Future Drummer

Green Habit wrote:
A couple ideological things I'll mention, though I think it was more me being unwise than factually incorrect:
--I can't remember any specific thread, but I used to favor some immigration regulations, as opposed to my now firm open borders viewpoint. I never went full "build the wall!", of course, but things like border security didn't strike me as unreasonable early on in my posting here.
--I wasn't as racially woke as I should have been, a consequence of growing up in a city with no sizeable racial minority population, and then a hippie liberal arts college that prided itself on internationalism, but is extremely bougie white as far as the American student body goes. This blackface thread, for one, was woefully ignorant on the pitfalls of coopting the social constructs of race.

We've gone in completely opposite directions. I used to be very much in favor of open borders, but now appreciate the arguments for nationalism generally and border security specifically and think arguments for excessively permissive immigration border on the utopian. I also couldn't be more skeptical about "social construct" explanations for things like gender and race. I've never found those arguments persuasive; to the extent my opinions have changed on those topics, they've become much more militantly biological.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 10:17 pm 
Poster of the Year

I'm shocked that the Obama era libertarian turned into a Trump era nationalist. Shocked I tell you.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 10:39 pm 
Future Drummer

cutuphalfdead wrote:
I'm shocked that the Obama era libertarian turned into a Trump era nationalist. Shocked I tell you.

The idea of extending the principles of federalism to nation states makes sense to me. I've always viewed decentralization as producing on the whole more good than bad, and this is no different.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 11:06 pm 
See you in another life, brother

--- wrote:
Green Habit wrote:
A couple ideological things I'll mention, though I think it was more me being unwise than factually incorrect:
--I can't remember any specific thread, but I used to favor some immigration regulations, as opposed to my now firm open borders viewpoint. I never went full "build the wall!", of course, but things like border security didn't strike me as unreasonable early on in my posting here.
--I wasn't as racially woke as I should have been, a consequence of growing up in a city with no sizeable racial minority population, and then a hippie liberal arts college that prided itself on internationalism, but is extremely bougie white as far as the American student body goes. This blackface thread, for one, was woefully ignorant on the pitfalls of coopting the social constructs of race.

We've gone in completely opposite directions. I used to be very much in favor of open borders, but now appreciate the arguments for nationalism generally and border security specifically and think arguments for excessively permissive immigration border on the utopian.

I can’t help but be disappointed by this. I realize how condescending that sounds; sorry for failing to express myself in a more constructive way, but what do you think has cause this shift in your opinion?

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 2:11 am 
Site Admin

4/5 wrote:
--- wrote:
Green Habit wrote:
We've gone in completely opposite directions. I used to be very much in favor of open borders, but now appreciate the arguments for nationalism generally and border security specifically and think arguments for excessively permissive immigration border on the utopian.
I can’t help but be disappointed by this. I realize how condescending that sounds; sorry for failing to express myself in a more constructive way, but what do you think has cause this shift in your opinion?
I'm more curious than disappointed, but I would too like to know what caused this shift.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 4:53 am 
Future Drummer

I used to think we shouldn't pay college football players.

On a side note, it would be interesting to see how people's opinions change based on life circumstance. Having children, for example, often seems to make people more conservative, and understandably so.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 5:34 am 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

The Iraq war. Probably both of them.

I missed the Trump thing, but I guess that's an easy one.

Both taught me the valuable lesson that the media as it exists is not my friend.

I never put much stock in the importance of culture or language until recently.

I've flip flopped on many hot button issues over the years (gun rights, abortion, borders). I'll probably change my mind again in a few more.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 1:52 pm 
Site Admin

Orpheus wrote:
I used to think we shouldn't pay college football players.
I'll have to try to hunt down some of those threads, because I recall that it felt like myself, punkdavid and thodoks were out on our own island on that one.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate