Switch to full style
Engage in discussions about news, politics, etc.
Post a reply

Re: Not worthy of a thread News

Thu March 14, 2019 8:26 pm

Southern Cal is really a prestigious school? Or is it just hard to get in because of volume of applicants?

Thu March 14, 2019 8:27 pm

Biff Pocoroba wrote:Southern Cal is really a prestigious school? Or is it just hard to get in because of volume of applicants?

I don't know, but isn't it like 80 grand a year?

Thu March 14, 2019 8:29 pm

and its in the shittiest of neighborhoods..UCLA is where to go

Thu March 14, 2019 8:31 pm

Ireland is the ninth biggest foreign direct investor into the US

that’s kinda baffling

Thu March 14, 2019 10:15 pm

doug rr wrote:and its in the shittiest of neighborhoods..UCLA is where to go

I remember waking around the UCLA area about ten years ago. Never seen so many beautiful people in one place before.

Varsity Blues

Fri March 15, 2019 2:13 am

Has anyone posted about this? I couldn't find it if you did.

So, the lengths these parents went to get their kids into college is kinda funny, but I have a hard time being outraged about it. I have always assumed rich people paid to get their kids into college? What's news here?

Re: Varsity Blues

Fri March 15, 2019 2:33 am

No new story here, as everyone knows. I believe it’s making waves in the news cycle because it’s tangible evidence we can all point to and say “See? The elite class is edging a lot of hard-working people out of the game.”

Fri March 15, 2019 3:00 am

The whole photoshopping your kid onto a picture of an actual athlete or pretending your kid plays a sport their high school doesn't even offer makes this a novel story.

Fri March 15, 2019 3:03 am

look how numb we've become to corruption

Fri March 15, 2019 3:05 am

cutuphalfdead wrote:look how numb we've become to corruption

I had to google that to see if it was a quote from ASOIAF.

Fri March 15, 2019 3:10 am

B wrote:Has anyone posted about this? I couldn't find it if you did.

So, the lengths these parents went to get their kids into college is kinda funny, but I have a hard time being outraged about it. I have always assumed rich people paid to get their kids into college? What's news here?
I posted it in the sports forum, thinking it was just going to be another NCAA corruption thing, but it turns out it's more than that.

But I agree with you, I've thought the same thing ever since I watched this:

Fri March 15, 2019 3:24 am

The neat thing about it is concrete proof.

I think there is certainly value in exposing that college admissions is flat out bullshit and a lot of people are on the take.

Imagine how many people are getting paid in the medical industry.

Fri March 15, 2019 3:44 am

What I don't understand is why we give a shit about Aunt Becky's kid when a "senior Whitehouse advisor" like kushner bought his way into the ivy league for a cool 2.5 million?

Fri March 15, 2019 2:09 pm

verb_to_trust wrote:What I don't understand is why we give a shit about Aunt Becky's kid when a "senior Whitehouse advisor" like kushner bought his way into the ivy league for a cool 2.5 million?

Because he didn't star in the beloved family sitcom Full House.

Fri March 15, 2019 2:18 pm

The gossip mag former celebrity component of this has helped it travel as a story. That’s it’s only relevance. But this type of story SHOULD be this loud, every time.

Fri March 15, 2019 2:34 pm

Phil Mickelson used the same service to get his kid into college. He claims no bribes were made and the college admissions process is "confusing".

Fri March 15, 2019 2:35 pm

Monkey_Driven wrote:Phil Mickelson used the same service to get his kid into college. He claims no bribes were made and the college admissions process is "confusing".

If the service starts asking for tens of thousands of dollars, I would think that would be the part where it becomes not "confusing".

Fri March 15, 2019 2:58 pm

There's been an ongoing discussion in the Not Worthy of New Thread thread, even though it obviously was worthy.

Fri March 15, 2019 8:27 pm

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:Phil Mickelson used the same service to get his kid into college. He claims no bribes were made and the college admissions process is "confusing".

If the service starts asking for tens of thousands of dollars, I would think that would be the part where it becomes not "confusing".

The guy grew up with a freakin' putting green in his backyard. I want to know what else "confuses" him.

Sat March 16, 2019 2:46 am

Post a reply