The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post subject: Re: Varsity Blues
PostPosted: Mon September 16, 2019 4:14 am 
Mind Your Tanners

I'm not clicking that, but does it mention selling drugs to an undercover police officer?

PostPosted: Mon September 16, 2019 12:41 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

bune wrote:
I'm not clicking that, but does it mention selling drugs to an undercover police officer?

Yes.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 12:39 am 
TIER 1 Essential Critical Infrastructure Worker

Lori Loughlin and her husband Mossimo Guiannulli have reached a plea deal with the Feds. She will plead guilty to Conspiracy to Commit Wire and Mail Fraud and serve 2 months, pay a $150,000 fine and do 100 hours community service. He will plead guilty to 2 counts of fraud and serve 5 months, pay $250,000, and do 250 community service hours. They are expected to enter their pleads tomorrow and formally be sentenced in about 90 days.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 4:10 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

Biff Pocoroba wrote:
Lori Loughlin and her husband Mossimo Guiannulli have reached a plea deal with the Feds. She will plead guilty to Conspiracy to Commit Wire and Mail Fraud and serve 2 months, pay a $150,000 fine and do 100 hours community service. He will plead guilty to 2 counts of fraud and serve 5 months, pay $250,000, and do 250 community service hours. They are expected to enter their pleads tomorrow and formally be sentenced in about 90 days.

If they had just had their daughter take a gap year or two, she wouldn't have had to take that racist SAT/ ACT, and might have gotten in.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 6:01 am 
mXn

Aunt Becky can come and service my community any time she wants :naughty:

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 1:14 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

I still don't understand why anyone gives a shit about this, unless they are naive enough to believe college admissions are about academic ability

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 2:51 pm 
Future Drummer

Bammer wrote:
Aunt Becky can come and service my community any time she wants :naughty:

I believe there’s something in your constitution precisely against a punishment as grotesque as that.

PostPosted: Fri August 21, 2020 7:11 pm 
TIER 1 Essential Critical Infrastructure Worker

Lori Loughlin sentenced to two months; her husband five months.
At one point I though they would have gotten more but that sounds about right.
We'll see how much time they actually serve though.

PostPosted: Fri August 21, 2020 8:12 pm 
Poster of the Year

i mean, it's what they agreed to in the plea deal

PostPosted: Sun January 31, 2021 11:21 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

simple schoolboy wrote:
Biff Pocoroba wrote:

If they had just had their daughter take a gap year or two, she wouldn't have had to take that racist SAT/ ACT, and might have gotten in.

https://twitter.com/razibkhan/status/13 ... 2263450628

PostPosted: Mon February 01, 2021 12:40 am 
Mind Your Tanners

simple schoolboy wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:
Biff Pocoroba wrote:

https://twitter.com/razibkhan/status/13 ... 2263450628
or she could have applied to schools that were already test optional. It's not a new concept. Neither is cheating to get ahead.

That link offered quotes that were misleading and contradicted themselves. No testing requirements drives up applications... from everyone. Which would cause a "dip" relative to a bigger pool, but it also added the caveat "prior to January deadlines."

Early Decision & Early Action are an affluent oriented process. In most cases a student would have to have their shit together and less affluent communities have a hard time making that happen for their students in October & November. Especially this year.

Later on it quoted Cornell vice provost who, "said applications rose from first-generation, low-income, rural, Black and Hispanic groups." Maryland U. gave a similar quote.

The tests and how one performs on them are biased.

Not requiring them on the application means more applications. It's a tactic many schools have been using to boost applications and appear more selective for quite a while.

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate