The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 511 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 26  Next
 Post subject: Re: ITT: We hate on Progressives
PostPosted: Sun July 14, 2019 1:58 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Bi_3 wrote:
Just remember progressives, you brought this on the world

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/452856-racial-politics-roil-democratic-party

Amazing timing

PostPosted: Sun July 14, 2019 2:23 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

I mean, there’s like a 60% chance that Donald Trump personally resolved the described infighting in his three tweets this morning. He swooped in and blew up the one tool he had at his disposal.

PostPosted: Sun July 14, 2019 2:30 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Bi_3 wrote:
Just remember progressives, you brought this on the world

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/452856-racial-politics-roil-democratic-party

Good? Biden absolutely has some shit to answer for.

PostPosted: Sun July 14, 2019 3:52 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

McParadigm wrote:
I mean, there’s like a 60% chance that Donald Trump personally resolved the described infighting in his three tweets this morning. He swooped in and blew up the one tool he had at his disposal.

I am less concerned about the Cheetos tweets than I am about the normalization of identity politics based bullying in the mainstream of the Democratic Party.

PostPosted: Sun July 14, 2019 4:07 pm 
Production Police

Bi_3 wrote:
McParadigm wrote:

I am less concerned about the Cheetos tweets than I am about the normalization of identity politics based bullying in the mainstream of the Democratic Party.

Identity politics were normalized long ago. And the idea of a young liberal faction of Dems extorting their moderate party members with the threat of withholding support goes back at least to the 1970s (Sunshine Reforms), if not longer.

All precisely why Warren should be the one ring to rule them all: she’s got the hard left views of Bernie with the appreciation of long-game moderate mechanisms of Pelosi.

PostPosted: Sun July 14, 2019 4:18 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Bi_3 wrote:
McParadigm wrote:

Republican voters: We uniformly support open racism at the very top of our party leadership. Not one of the 28 million of us who support this man care that he said this, and most of us agree with him.

Republican politicians: We would rather stay silent in the face of our own party’s white nationalism than risk offending current leadership.

Democrat (to other Democrats): It’s disheartening to see you slight a group of us who all happen to be women of color, after an election won primarily because women and people of color showed up at the polls.

Bi_3: Only that last one bothers me.

PostPosted: Sun July 14, 2019 4:38 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

McParadigm wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
McParadigm wrote:

Republican voters: We uniformly support open racism at the very top of our party leadership. Not one of the 28 million of us who support this man care that he said this, and most of us agree with him.

Republican politicians: We would rather stay silent in the face of our own party’s white nationalism than risk offending current leadership.

Democrat (to other Democrats): It’s disheartening to see you slight a group of us who all happen to be women of color, after an election won primarily because women and people of color showed up at the polls.

None of that is true and I’m slightly embarrassed for you that you would resort to that kind of position

PostPosted: Sun July 14, 2019 4:57 pm 
Rank This Poster

tragabigzanda wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
McParadigm wrote:

Identity politics were normalized long ago. And the idea of a young liberal faction of Dems extorting their moderate party members with the threat of withholding support goes back at least to the 1970s (Sunshine Reforms), if not longer.

All precisely why Warren should be the one ring to rule them all: she’s got the hard left views of Bernie with the appreciation of long-game moderate mechanisms of Pelosi.

Identity politics (or at least, the narrow definition of it used by conservatives), is also increasingly no longer the cudgel that they seem to think, something that's only likely to grow as the country's demographics continue to change. It's completely predictable that a party with diverse, multi-ethnic coalition is going to find itself having to navigate issues about its own values on race and ethnicity in the way a mono-racial party will not. Republicans are right that their party will not have to go through these kinds of thing, though identity politics is just as prevalent, if not more so, on their side. It's just that their party is increasingly monoracial, which means all its invective is spewed outward. Which leads, inevitably, to things like today's tweets.

Of course Democrats are going to be having these kinds of arguments, and not Republicans; does anyone believe the diversity is there in the latter party to even make such a discussion sensible?

PostPosted: Sun July 14, 2019 5:00 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Wow you are erasing Candice Owens identity how dare you liberals are the real fascists.

PostPosted: Sun July 14, 2019 5:06 pm 
Production Police

digster wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
McParadigm wrote:

Identity politics (or at least, the narrow definition of it used by conservatives), is also increasingly no longer the cudgel that they seem to think, something that's only likely to grow as the country's demographics continue to change. It's completely predictable that a party with diverse, multi-ethnic coalition is going to find itself having to navigate issues about its own values on race and ethnicity in the way a mono-racial party will not. Republicans are right that their party will not have to go through these kinds of thing, though identity politics is just as prevalent, if not more so, on their side. It's just that their party is increasingly monoracial, which means all its invective is spewed outward. Which leads, inevitably, to things like today's tweets.

Of course Democrats are going to be having these kinds of arguments, and not Republicans; does anyone believe the diversity is there in the latter party to even make such a discussion sensible?

:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sun July 14, 2019 5:35 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Bi_3 wrote:
McParadigm wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
McParadigm wrote:

None of that is true and I’m slightly embarrassed for you that you would resort to that kind of position

NONE of it is true? I am lost. Please help me correct for the future by identifying which of these was the MOST incorrect assumption on my part (understanding, of course, that you have already labeled all of it as wrong):

1. Republican voters will overwhelmingly support the president in the face of him telling a group of non-white Americans to “go back to their broken and crime infested countries.”

2. Republican politicians refuse to take open positions of disapproval in the face of racist behaviors and expressions when the voters embrace them, and continue to support the administration.

3. Your opinion as expressed was that you are less concerned with blanket racist comments which you must realize will be widely accepted by one political party than you are by internal (if heated) identity politics debates being held by the other.

PostPosted: Sun July 14, 2019 5:51 pm 
Future Drummer
 WWW  Profile

The GOP is a white supremacist party, change my mind.

PostPosted: Sun July 14, 2019 5:54 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

There's no way to change your mind, Jammer. You're 100% correct.

PostPosted: Sun July 14, 2019 5:56 pm 
Future Drummer
 WWW  Profile

washing machine wrote:
There's no way to change your mind, Jammer. You're 100% correct.

I was just using the Ben Shapiro meme format, since those white nationalists seem to love that douchebag.

PostPosted: Sun July 14, 2019 5:59 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

No, seriously. You're spot on.

PostPosted: Sun July 14, 2019 6:05 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Trolling Jammer to make yourself seem more reasonable is pretty low hanging fruit. Not a great look either.

PostPosted: Sun July 14, 2019 6:13 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Who said I was trolling? I just decided to try and to ride the zeitgeist out with the rest of progressive RM.

PostPosted: Sun July 14, 2019 6:26 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

washing machine wrote:
Who said I was trolling? I just decided to try and to ride the zeitgeist out with the rest of progressive RM.

Uh huh.

PostPosted: Sun July 14, 2019 6:32 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Look man. I don't like Trump. You don't like Trump. We don't like Trump. Together, we can beat him.

PostPosted: Sun July 14, 2019 6:34 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

With posts.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 511 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 26  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate