The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 511 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 26  Next
 Post subject: Re: ITT: We hate on Progressives
PostPosted: Sun July 14, 2019 6:57 pm 
Future Drummer
 WWW  Profile

I have reason to believe washing machine wasn’t trolling, unlike Michael who trolled me in real life a decade ago.

PostPosted: Sun July 14, 2019 6:59 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

McParadigm wrote:
NONE of it is true? I am lost. Please help me correct for the future by identifying which of these was the MOST incorrect assumption on my part (understanding, of course, that you have already labeled all of it as wrong):

Sure.

McParadigm wrote:
Republican voters: We uniformly support open racism at the very top of our party leadership. Not one of the 28 million of us who support this man care that he said this, and most of us agree with him.

Trump support runs in the mid-80s for likely Republican voters. This is disheartening for many reasons, but polls show 10-15% of republicans support reparations for slavery, and I would suggest that the number alone eliminates that idea of 'uniform for support for open racism' at the top of party leadership. I would ask you to explain how you were able to survey 28 million people on that (or on any topic) so quickly and somehow end up with not a single one cared about what he said.

McParadigm wrote:
Republican politicians: We would rather stay silent in the face of our own party’s white nationalism than risk offending current leadership.

I did some googling and was unable to find any statements by the party in support of white nationalism. While most white nationalists run as republicans if they select a party, that makes sense since the republicans are overwhelming white and thus you can exploit any latent racism that may exist, but the implication that white nationalism is an element of the party platform or that politicians in the party don't oppose it is ridiculous.

https://time.com/5503882/steve-king-white-supremacy-criticism/
https://www.vox.com/2018/7/9/17525860/nazis-russell-walker-arthur-jones-republicans-illinois-north-carolina-virginia

McParadigm wrote:
Democrat (to other Democrats): It’s disheartening to see you slight a group of us who all happen to be women of color, after an election won primarily because women and people of color showed up at the polls.

That's a substantial mischaracterization of the conflict between AOC's 'squad' and Pelosi and what the squad has said.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/feud-among-house-democrats-remains-on-public-display-11563050222

McParadigm wrote:
Bi_3: Only that last one bothers me.

The legitimization of bigotry that has accompanied the rise of Trump disgusts me. What I posted was that I was less concerned about an ignorant bigot saying ignorant and bigoted things again than I am about the only viable alternative creeping towards the "the color of my skin means you have to obey because history" stance that people like the Cheeto can exploit. I am not saying his words dont offend and disgust me or bother me.

PostPosted: Sun July 14, 2019 7:46 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Jammer XCI wrote:
I have reason to believe washing machine wasn’t trolling, unlike Michael who trolled me in real life a decade ago.

Come on man, try to think just a bit.

PostPosted: Sun July 14, 2019 7:56 pm 
Future Drummer
 WWW  Profile

I don’t post here enough anymore to give a fuck about being in the loop or whatever posting schticks people have.

PostPosted: Sun July 14, 2019 8:01 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

The funny thing is I do post here that often and I don't get that shit either.

PostPosted: Sun July 14, 2019 8:04 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Could be that I'm not doing a schtick and actually do want the same thing the rest of the board wants regarding the success of the progressive agenda. :idea:

PostPosted: Sun July 14, 2019 8:11 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

washing machine wrote:
Could be that I'm not doing a schtick and actually do want the same thing the rest of the board wants regarding the success of the progressive agenda. :idea:

You do know which thread you're in, yeah?

Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

bune wrote:
The funny thing is I do post here that often and I don't get that shit either.

:haha:

Looks Like a Cat

durdencommatyler wrote:
washing machine wrote:

Typically, no.

PostPosted: Sun July 14, 2019 8:14 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

washing machine wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
washing machine wrote:

Typically, no.

Yeah, me neither

PostPosted: Sun July 14, 2019 8:27 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Bi_3 wrote:
McParadigm wrote:
Republican voters: We uniformly support open racism at the very top of our party leadership. Not one of the 28 million of us who support this man care that he said this, and most of us agree with him.

Trump support runs in the mid-80s for likely Republican voters. This is disheartening for many reasons, but polls show 10-15% of republicans support reparations for slavery, and I would suggest that the number alone eliminates that idea of 'uniform for support for open racism' at the top of party leadership. I would ask you to explain how you were able to survey 28 million people on that (or on any topic) so quickly and somehow end up with not a single one cared about what he said.

There are 32 million registered Republicans. Subtracting for that 10-15%, I then rounded down to 28 million. Either there are 28 million Republicans who are prepared to tolerate racist views, or his support numbers will begin to dwindle immediately. Keep me posted.

Quote:
McParadigm wrote:
Republican politicians: We would rather stay silent in the face of our own party’s white nationalism than risk offending current leadership.

I did some googling and was unable to find any statements by the party in support of white nationalism. While most white nationalists run as republicans if they select a party, that makes sense since the republicans are overwhelming white and thus you can exploit any latent racism that may exist, but the implication that white nationalism is an element of the party platform or that politicians in the party don't oppose it is ridiculous.

While you were looking, did you find a single instance of a Republican in office condemning Trump’s racist tweet directly? In the seven hours it’s been up? Anyone demanding that he retract the statement? Or address it in someway? Did you in fact find anyone in the party infrastructure saying anything at all?

Or did they instead seem to be saying “We would rather stay silent in the face of our own party’s white nationalism than risk offending current leadership.”

Quote:
McParadigm wrote:
Democrat (to other Democrats): It’s disheartening to see you slight a group of us who all happen to be women of color, after an election won primarily because women and people of color showed up at the polls.

That's a substantial mischaracterization of the conflict between AOC's 'squad' and Pelosi and what the squad has said.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/feud-among-house-democrats-remains-on-public-display-11563050222

It’s not, but it’s also inconsequential to whether or not tolerance of racism by an entire political institution is factually worse than an intraparty generational conflict over the subjects of race, identity, and leadership. One team is having a messy public fight over its future in part because it can have that discussion. It is a party, and not a cult. It can adapt to the times, debate itself, disagree, and sometimes struggle to find its way. The other team is stuck by cowardice in 1964, sycophantically dismissing the indismissable through silence.

Quote:
McParadigm wrote:
Bi_3: Only that last one bothers me.

The legitimization of bigotry that has accompanied the rise of Trump disgusts me. What I posted was that I was less concerned about an ignorant bigot saying ignorant and bigoted things again than I am about the only viable alternative creeping towards the "the color of my skin means you have to obey because history" stance that people like the Cheeto can exploit. I am not saying his words dont offend and disgust me or bother me.

No, but you have been playing a long game of pretend that says Donald Trump is less reflective of the Republican Party than AOC is of the Democratic Party. Just here, right above this response, you categorize a view found in no Democratic presidential candidate’s platform as belonging to “the viable alternative”....the entire party. But you credit Trump’s attitudes to him and him alone. He is “an ignorant bigot saying bigoted things.” Donald Trump factually has a broad majority of support among Republican voters going in to this weekend. Do you anticipate that changing? Only 40% of polled democratic voters have any opinion on AOC at all.

PostPosted: Sun July 14, 2019 10:26 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

washing machine wrote:

I don't think you actually know what you want

PostPosted: Sun July 14, 2019 10:28 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

ok

PostPosted: Sun July 14, 2019 10:29 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

None of us do, Reid.

PostPosted: Sun July 14, 2019 10:30 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

But that's why you have all those Seattle area homes saved on your Zillow account.

PostPosted: Sun July 14, 2019 10:31 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Leave my Zillow account out of this thread please.

PostPosted: Sun July 14, 2019 10:41 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

How many homes are you going to favorite before you close your account and get involved in a Houston area restaurant partnership? We cannot know our desire, we can only articulate it.

PostPosted: Sun July 14, 2019 10:43 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Mickey wrote:
How many homes are you going to favorite before you close your account and get involved in a Houston area restaurant partnership? We cannot know our desire, we can only articulate it.

42%

PostPosted: Mon July 15, 2019 12:23 am 
Looks Like a Cat

They need to stop this. Ridding the country of Trump is what matters

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2019/07/13/house-democrats-racially-charged-infighting-escalates/

PostPosted: Mon July 15, 2019 12:18 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Quote:
While you were looking, did you find a single instance of a Republican in office condemning Trump’s racist tweet directly? In the seven hours it’s been up? Anyone demanding that he retract the statement? Or address it in someway? Did you in fact find anyone in the party infrastructure saying anything at all?

23 hours now.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 511 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 26  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate