The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post subject: Re: Modern Monetary Theory?
PostPosted: Wed February 13, 2019 4:24 pm 
See you in another life, brother

Bi_3 wrote:
Ah. This is what I was missing. Thank you.

Still seems like the existence of global trade would wreck the concept, but I’m sure the krugmans of the world have explained that as well.

I know you might not have meant literally Paul Krugman, but he's written pieces against it. This is a very heterodox position and doesn't have much, if any traction, in mainstream economics from what I can tell. It strikes me as much more political than economic, kinda like Reaganomics.

Krugman on MMT:
Quote:
“When people expect inflation, they become reluctant to hold cash, which drive prices up and means that the government has to print more money to extract a given amount of real resources, which means higher inflation, etc... Do the math, and it becomes clear that any attempt to extract too much from seigniorage — more than a few percent of GDP, probably — leads to an infinite upward spiral in inflation. In effect, the currency is destroyed.”

PostPosted: Wed February 13, 2019 7:23 pm 
Site Admin

4/5 wrote:
Green Habit wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:
Isn't MMT just an explanation for how government works today?
Yeah, for all the controversy that's slung at MMT, I'm come to see it as just a really boring explanation as to how governments with fiat currency operate: add money via the printing press when its supply is too low in recessions, and then subtract it via taxes when its supply is too high via inflation. It's a very powerful arrangement, yet one that's also delicate, as going too far either way can ruin a country's economy (and there have been plenty of examples in history), but when run properly it just seems like boring modus operandi.

I think that minimizes the differences and potential for catastrophic outcomes inherent in MMT. What you described is Keynesianism which has been politically dominant for a long time. I think MMT obviously has similarities in advocating for an active government role but I think it goes well beyond the above.

Keyensians suggest what you mentioned: stimulating or contracting the economy when it experiences a recessionary or inflationary gap. MMT argues that the reason that an economy experiences a recession in the first place is specifically because the government isn't spending enough as opposed to Keynesians who argue that when there is a recession the government should increase spending/cut taxes to increase output. I admit that those two perspectives are similar, but I think MMT makes a very important shift from government having a role to support or fix to having the main role in driving an economy. MMT is attempting to provide intellectual cover for a dramatically more expansive government role in the economy than Keynesianism.
I guess I just see this as more of a difference in degree than substance. *shrugs*

PostPosted: Sun June 02, 2019 6:09 pm 
Broken Tamborine

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate