The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 830 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 42  Next
 Post subject: Re: AOC
PostPosted: Tue July 16, 2019 4:16 am 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Monkey_Driven wrote:
"elected"

Elected. Seized. Whatever.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Tue July 16, 2019 4:21 am 
The Master

"My brutal truths"

PostPosted: Tue July 16, 2019 4:34 am 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Did you like that one, Strat?

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Tue July 16, 2019 4:35 am 
The Master

BurtReynolds wrote:
Did you like that one, Strat?

Hit me right where I was itching tonight.

PostPosted: Tue July 16, 2019 5:37 am 
mXn

You guys see what AOC was wearing yesterday? :shock:

PostPosted: Tue July 16, 2019 2:13 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

I think some of us are overthinking the BurtReynolds account. He’s just a troll. He doesn’t have any philosophical behavior patterns beyond talking up whatever figure or joke is currently trending in troll culture, and being dismissive of everything else. He posts stuff from 4chan, for crying out loud.

PostPosted: Tue July 16, 2019 2:52 pm 
The Master

I think that’s a really narrow reading of the Burt account. What I’ve always gotten from Burt is that any ideology, and in fact any ego about oneself and his opinions, is inherent folly due to the inevitably of our demise, and the fact that these narratives we tell ourselves are all 100% built on he false premise that we’re not living in some sort of matrix.

He takes the piss out of anyone and everything, and only tackles the libs so regularly because it’s low-hanging fruit. He’s the hero we need for our times.

PostPosted: Tue July 16, 2019 3:23 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

tragabigzanda wrote:
What I’ve always gotten from Burt is that any ideology, and in fact any ego about oneself and his opinions, is inherent folly due to the inevitably of our demise, and the fact that these narratives we tell ourselves are all 100% built on he false premise that we’re not living in some sort of matrix.

Ahh, yes, the fantasy of the ideological free spirit. We all like to see a bit of ourselves in it.

Burt’s political lean is as nakedly apparent as anybody’s. Pick any five contentious issues (not politicians) from the past three years and locate the scorn he expresses for the principles of each side. Transgender rights, immigration, gun control...he’s as ideologically consistent as I am.

Burt doesn’t primarily direct his scorn at “the libs” because he is an untethered spirit. He does it because his scorn is primarily for “the libs.”

Quote:
He takes the piss out of anyone and everything

He really doesn’t.

PostPosted: Tue July 16, 2019 3:33 pm 
The Master

McParadigm wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
He takes the piss out of anyone and everything

He really doesn’t.

He does though. Or rather, if I jab his supposed heroes, he seems to laugh right along with me.

Whatever. This issue doesn't warrant further contention. You're an intelligent guy offering some great political insights, and Burt's is an account that I find harmlessly entertaining. Nothing else to see here.

PostPosted: Tue July 16, 2019 3:41 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

I'll buy the Burt's an equal opportunity offender when he talks as much shit about Jordan Peterson as he does AOC.

PostPosted: Tue July 16, 2019 3:47 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

tragabigzanda wrote:
Burt's is an account that I find harmlessly entertaining.

This is where I started this at. People (now including us) are overanalyzing a harmless troll account.

Burt’s a lotta fun if you don’t let him get to you. But the clearest demonstration of what he typically brings to the N&D table is this lovely snippet from the gun control thread.

BurtReynolds wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:
McParadigm wrote:
Trolls are out in force today :shock:

Yeah it was an interesting day.

(McP note: missing picture is of a child who survived a mass shooting)

He does have a supremely punchable face, though.

It’s pretty funny. I laughed just typing “punchable face” into the search field. It’s built on a “nothing matters” attitude that admittedly disappears when antifa is within 5 miles of him (suddenly things aren’t as funny), but it’s not coming from an ideologically untethered place and it’s not representative of a person Durd needs to defend himself or his ideals to.

PostPosted: Tue July 16, 2019 3:50 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Some real juicy food for thought here. Thanks, McP.

PostPosted: Tue July 16, 2019 3:51 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Nothing matters except Andy NatGeo's brain hemorrhage.

PostPosted: Tue July 16, 2019 3:53 pm 
The Master

McParadigm wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

This is where I started this at. People (now including us) are overanalyzing a harmless troll account.

Burt’s a lotta fun if you don’t let him get to you. But the clearest demonstration of what he typically brings to the N&D table is this lovely snippet from the gun control thread.

BurtReynolds wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:
McParadigm wrote:
Trolls are out in force today :shock:

Yeah it was an interesting day.

(McP note: missing picture is of a child who survived a mass shooting)

He does have a supremely punchable face, though.

It’s pretty funny. I laughed just typing “punchable face” into the search field. It’s built on a “nothing matters” attitude that admittedly disappears when antifa is within 5 miles of him (suddenly things aren’t as funny), but it’s not coming from an ideologically untethered place and it’s not representative of a person Durd needs to defend himself or his ideals to.

Yeah I agree with all this.

PostPosted: Tue July 16, 2019 5:02 pm 
Future Drummer

McParadigm/Trag wrote:

I remember when taking people seriously on the internet (esp a message board) brought something called the "lulz".

PostPosted: Tue July 16, 2019 5:05 pm 
Future Drummer

The whole lulz thing was pretty annoying, btw. But Burt R. isn't just a troll, he's been here forever with great entertainment value.

PostPosted: Tue July 16, 2019 5:13 pm 
Gone

Bammer wrote:
You guys see what AOC was wearing yesterday? :shock:

Was it hot?

PostPosted: Tue July 16, 2019 6:34 pm 

Mickey wrote:
I'll buy the Burt's an equal opportunity offender when he talks as much shit about Jordan Peterson as he does AOC.

Never!

PostPosted: Tue July 16, 2019 7:40 pm 

I'm not so much for equal opportunity offense as indulging my contrarianism or skepticism. Attacking the right is low hanging fruit and is more than covered here. Tackling the absurdity and hypocrisy of the Left? Now that's a bit more of a challenge! There is like 20 people here attacking Trump on a daily basis, so it's pretty boring.

Also, some of you are absolute lunatics in the final stages of Trump Derangement Syndrome who probably need to be put down before you firebomb an ICE facility.

tragabigzanda wrote:
I think that’s a really narrow reading of the Burt account. What I’ve always gotten from Burt is that any ideology, and in fact any ego about oneself and his opinions, is inherent folly due to the inevitably of our demise, and the fact that these narratives we tell ourselves are all 100% built on he false premise that we’re not living in some sort of matrix.

He takes the piss out of anyone and everything, and only tackles the libs so regularly because it’s low-hanging fruit. He’s the hero we need for our times.

hmm... that sounds close. I'd agree that I think ideology and grand narratives are terrible and false. However, the ego seems all-important, regardless of the fact that I'll eventually die along with whatever purpose I had, so that will put me at odds with most collectivist movements like antifa. But then, isn't that an ideology as well? It seems to be inescapable. I have my fair share of "-isms".

PostPosted: Tue July 16, 2019 7:46 pm 

McParadigm wrote:
I think some of us are overthinking the BurtReynolds account. He’s just a troll. He doesn’t have any philosophical behavior patterns beyond talking up whatever figure or joke is currently trending in troll culture, and being dismissive of everything else. He posts stuff from 4chan, for crying out loud.

Did you just call me a nihilist, motherfucker!?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 830 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 42  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate