The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 830 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 42  Next
 Post subject: Re: AOC
PostPosted: Tue July 16, 2019 12:52 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

“LOOK at it, NANCY! TELL me that’s not recently damp.”

PostPosted: Tue July 16, 2019 1:11 am 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

digster wrote:
Mickey wrote:
I take Burt's point--or what is perhaps a more developed articulation of a good faith reading of Burt's point--that treating woman as a rarefied and unimpeachable category simply reverses the logic of sexism without addressing the problematic othering at the root of sexism itself. But I don't think that necessarily applies to Joey's defense of AOC here (or his behavior more broadly), as her prominence within the conservative media ecosystem is probably not unrelated to her gender. I mean yes we should think critically about a certain type of yes slay queen discourse (especially as this aligns with Kamala-style neoliberalism). But we should also think about why this one-term congressperson has a 17 page thread devoted to her (metonymic as this is of other things) when Bernie as multiple-term Senator never attracted this much attention per comment.

I think that pretty much speaks for itself. But more broadly, I fail to grasp the defense here; would anyone honestly try to argue that the right wing's antipathy for AOC is solely due to her politics?

Well, I mean, clearly Burt.

PostPosted: Tue July 16, 2019 1:13 am 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

BurtReynolds wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:

How am I mischaracterising you? Where do you disagree with how you treat women? We've talked about this before and you apparently think that it's wrong for a man to ever criticize a woman. Is that wrong?

I've already responded to this but since you posted it again, I'll assume you didn't listen (shocking).

It's a complete mischaracterization. None of it is factual or accurate. It's just more of you revealing yourself.

PostPosted: Tue July 16, 2019 1:14 am 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Hope that helps.

PostPosted: Tue July 16, 2019 1:18 am 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

For example, I also post my support and encouragement of other marginalized communities (artists, politicians, etc, therein) like the LGBTQ+ community, and community, and people of color.

Yet, those posts never seem to attract your wrath and attention like my posts about women do. Why is that? Do you think? I have my own answer but I'd love to hear yours.

PostPosted: Tue July 16, 2019 1:22 am 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

BurtReynolds wrote:
I like it better when you snap. At least that's a normal human reaction

I feel like I'd be remiss if I didn't point out the irony of this post given the context here. Like, did you set out to make a point above toxic masculinity for me?

Anyway, there's a better way to have a conversation, my friend. Let's leave this kind unhelpful shit out of it.

I'll offer up a good faith discussion one last time. You in?

PostPosted: Tue July 16, 2019 1:39 am 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

You're so repressed. This is why you snap at people, dude. Say what you mean to say.

I would prefer "my brutal truths vs your passive aggression" over "a good faith talk" (whatever your definition of a good faith talk is.) I don't think I can stand a conversation without you constantly feigning injury to everything.

Anyway, I'm glad your answer is (apparently?) "no" to my last two questions. You don't in fact think that its wrong to criticize women. That's good. Like I said before I think you managed to say something negative about a actress once (though I can't find the thread so maybe I dreamt it.) Nonetheless, I'll take your word for it. It's a baseline. We can build from there.

durdencommatyler wrote:
For example, I also post my support and encouragement of other marginalized communities (artists, politicians, etc, therein) like the LGBTQ+ community, and community, and people of color. .

I'm aware of your (less frequent) condescension towards those groups as well, but it doesn't seem to take on the pathological quality of your weird need to prop up the womenz.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

Last edited by BurtReynolds on Tue July 16, 2019 1:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue July 16, 2019 1:43 am 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Now, tell me about your relationship with your mother and father...

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Tue July 16, 2019 1:50 am 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Pretty much exactly the response I expected. Though, you may want to edit the part where you almost give me credit and admit you could be wrong. That certainly wasn't intentional, right?

But I'm not surprised you attacked me again before said credit. That's the Burt I know and recognize. Too bad we're can't have a real conversation about this. Don't say I didn't try.

PostPosted: Tue July 16, 2019 1:52 am 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

I'd feel sorry for Burt if he wasn't so willfully angry and deaf.

PostPosted: Tue July 16, 2019 1:52 am 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Sorry, Burt, I didn't mean to post that. It's far too vulnerable. What I meant to say was fuck off or whatever.

PostPosted: Tue July 16, 2019 1:53 am 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Did I do it right?

PostPosted: Tue July 16, 2019 1:53 am 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Someone besides Burt tell me. I don't trust him.

PostPosted: Tue July 16, 2019 1:54 am 

I'm not angry! I'm passionate!

PostPosted: Tue July 16, 2019 1:54 am 

durdencommatyler wrote:
Did I do it right?

better

PostPosted: Tue July 16, 2019 1:55 am 
Mind Your Tanners

BurtReynolds wrote:
digster wrote:
Mickey wrote:
I take Burt's point--or what is perhaps a more developed articulation of a good faith reading of Burt's point--that treating woman as a rarefied and unimpeachable category simply reverses the logic of sexism without addressing the problematic othering at the root of sexism itself. But I don't think that necessarily applies to Joey's defense of AOC here (or his behavior more broadly), as her prominence within the conservative media ecosystem is probably not unrelated to her gender. I mean yes we should think critically about a certain type of yes slay queen discourse (especially as this aligns with Kamala-style neoliberalism). But we should also think about why this one-term congressperson has a 17 page thread devoted to her (metonymic as this is of other things) when Bernie as multiple-term Senator never attracted this much attention per comment.

I think that pretty much speaks for itself. But more broadly, I fail to grasp the defense here; would anyone honestly try to argue that the right wing's antipathy for AOC is solely due to her politics?

Why wouldn't it be? She's antithetical to Republicans. The rest is just baseless assertion. You're really overthinking this. Like Trump, she's a cartoon character, and like him, being loud and populist gets attention far beyond what's called for. Like all the outrage over Trump tweets ultimately gives Trump more power, every post mocking her stupidity in this thread probably does the same for her. But I don't care. It's fun anyway.

Bernie doesn't ramble on in a stream of consciousness when he talks. He's comparatively boring. Of course he's a lot more important, but that ain't what sells.

Bernie doesn't what now??

PostPosted: Tue July 16, 2019 1:55 am 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

AOC gets stronger every time you post here, Burt.

PostPosted: Tue July 16, 2019 1:56 am 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Mickey wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:
digster wrote:
Mickey wrote:

Why wouldn't it be? She's antithetical to Republicans. The rest is just baseless assertion. You're really overthinking this. Like Trump, she's a cartoon character, and like him, being loud and populist gets attention far beyond what's called for. Like all the outrage over Trump tweets ultimately gives Trump more power, every post mocking her stupidity in this thread probably does the same for her. But I don't care. It's fun anyway.

Bernie doesn't ramble on in a stream of consciousness when he talks. He's comparatively boring. Of course he's a lot more important, but that ain't what sells.

Bernie doesn't what now??

Ignore him. He is obviously trolling and has no idea what he's doing here.

PostPosted: Tue July 16, 2019 2:03 am 

Has anyone listened to AOC's streams? It's like a 4 year old trying to tell you the plot of the movie she just watched. It just goes on and on without any point or direction.

Bernie seems positively organized in comparison. Admittedly, I'm not a Bernie expert. His voice is hard to take.

PostPosted: Tue July 16, 2019 2:05 am 
Mind Your Tanners

Are you legitimately comparing aoc's 2018 "I'm using my instant pot" videos to Bernie's senate floor speeches? Yikes

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 830 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 42  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate