The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1408 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44 ... 71  Next
 Post subject: Re: On The Media: Where Do You Get Your News?
PostPosted: Mon October 19, 2020 7:52 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

:wave: to all the folks who didn’t read the first paragraph of the article before commenting

PostPosted: Mon October 19, 2020 7:59 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

McParadigm wrote:
:wave: to all the folks who didn’t read the first paragraph of the article before commenting

I'd rather half recall something than speak definitively.

Quote:
So we built a series of war games

Huh, look at that.

Were any of the underlying assumptions and rules for their wargames reasonable?

PostPosted: Mon October 19, 2020 8:06 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

simple schoolboy wrote:

Even if they were, there’s no realistic way to model the next two months because the next two months are going to be so far outside the bounds of anything that happened before this year.

PostPosted: Mon October 19, 2020 8:10 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

McParadigm wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:

Even if they were, there’s no realistic way to model the next two months because the next two months are going to be so far outside the bounds of anything that happened before this year.

This is nearly always true.

PostPosted: Mon October 19, 2020 8:21 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Bi_3 wrote:
McParadigm wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:

lol ok

PostPosted: Tue October 20, 2020 11:18 am 
Looks Like a Cat

PostPosted: Thu October 22, 2020 8:43 pm 
TIER 1 Essential Critical Infrastructure Worker

Fox News has turned into all Hunter Biden all the time.

PostPosted: Fri October 23, 2020 3:02 pm 
Future Drummer

McParadigm wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
McParadigm wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:

lol ok

The insistence by some people here that this is all "politics as usual" is really, really bizarre.

PostPosted: Fri October 23, 2020 3:07 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

I mean to be fair we did do this in 2000, basically.

PostPosted: Fri October 23, 2020 3:32 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Mickey wrote:
I mean to be fair we did do this in 2000, basically.

You're right, I remember all the stories that were coming out of the Gore camp about Ws daughters and their ties to Vietnamese money laundering. Time is a flat circle, indeed!

PostPosted: Fri October 23, 2020 3:36 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

I meant the long delay between election day and results, obviously the particulars here are quite different.

PostPosted: Sat October 24, 2020 3:54 am 
Mind Your Tanners

Mickey wrote:
I meant the long delay between election day and results, obviously the particulars here are quite different.

And I was being snarky. Carry on, Mickey.

PostPosted: Sun October 25, 2020 11:08 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

We don't live in a world where the good guys won.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Sun October 25, 2020 11:28 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Lol no shit, look around.

PostPosted: Mon October 26, 2020 1:52 am 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Mon October 26, 2020 1:54 am 
Production Police

I don’t know about the context of that quote, but Lee is generally legit.

PostPosted: Mon October 26, 2020 2:03 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

maybe what they meant in that quote was - they should treat it like disinformation because even if it is true, it's not worth reporting on given the life and death problems voters are facing right now so just refer it to US Weekly where it belongs

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

PostPosted: Mon October 26, 2020 2:44 am 
Looks Like a Cat

96583UP wrote:
maybe what they meant in that quote was - they should treat it like disinformation because even if it is true, it's not worth reporting on given the life and death problems voters are facing right now so just refer it to US Weekly where it belongs

Umm

PostPosted: Mon October 26, 2020 2:57 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

everyone knows the best place to find out what's going on in the 2nd world is page шесть

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

PostPosted: Mon October 26, 2020 3:34 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

all hail to the gatekeepers

Quote:
There’s something amusing — even a bit flattering — in such earnest protestations from a right-wing movement rooted in efforts to discredit the independent media. And this reassertion of control over information is what you’ve seen many journalists call for in recent years. At its best, it can also close the political landscape to a trendy new form of dirty tricks, as in France in 2017, where the media largely ignored a last-minute dump of hacked emails from President Emmanuel Macron’s campaign just before a legally mandated blackout period.

But I admit that I feel deep ambivalence about this revenge of the gatekeepers. I spent my career, before arriving at The Times in March, on the other side of the gate, lobbing information past it to a very online audience who I presumed had already seen the leak or the rumor, and seeing my job as helping to guide that audience through the thicket, not to close their eyes to it. “The media’s new and unfamiliar job is to provide a framework for understanding the wild, unvetted, and incredibly intoxicating information that its audience will inevitably see — not to ignore it,” my colleague John Herrman (also now at The Times) and I wrote in 2013. In 2017, I made the decision to publish the unverified “Steele dossier,” in part on the grounds that gatekeepers were looking at it and influenced by it, but keeping it from their audience.

This fall, top media and tech executives were bracing to refight the last war — a foreign-backed hack-and-leak operation like WikiLeaks seeking to influence the election’s outcome. It was that hyper-vigilance that led Twitter to block links to The New York Post’s article about Hunter Biden — a frighteningly disproportionate response to a story that other news organizations were handling with care. The schemes of Mr. Herschmann, Mr. Passantino and Mr. Schwartz weren’t exactly WikiLeaks. But the special nervousness that many outlets, including this one, feel about the provenance of the Hunter Biden emails is, in many ways, the legacy of the WikiLeaks experience.

I’d prefer to put my faith in Mr. Murray and careful, professional journalists like him than in the social platforms’ product managers and executives. And I hope Americans relieved that the gatekeepers are reasserting themselves will also pay attention to who gets that power, and how centralized it is, and root for new voices to correct and challenge them.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/25/business/media/hunter-biden-wall-street-journal-trump.html

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1408 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44 ... 71  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate