Switch to full style
Engage in discussions about news, politics, etc.
Post a reply

Re: On The Media: Where Do You Get Your News?

Tue November 21, 2017 12:36 am

BurtReynolds wrote:haha holy shit. I was wrong. It's time to stop. Just stop.

:lol:

Tue November 21, 2017 11:26 am

Since I am not going to click on that, can someone sum up why women on the subway labeling fit and wealthy men more attractive means the patriarchy is still winning? Also, when did it become ok to take pictures of people on the subway and rate them?

Mon November 27, 2017 3:15 pm

Tue November 28, 2017 8:40 am

Bi_3 wrote:Image

The Economist rating seems undeserved, but I don't know why.

I probably should trust them more than the state run media of the BBC or NPR, but damn it, they always try to set out as THE voice of... is Tory the proper term? What used to be Tory conventional wisdom?*

Please anyone familiar with British politics correct me.

*but always preening to try to be somewhat respectable.

Tue November 28, 2017 8:42 am

BBC is fucking garbage and the only reason anyone trusts them is because they have british accents.

Thu January 11, 2018 11:29 am

I guess there might be something to this whole Trump Derangement Syndrome thing...

Thu January 11, 2018 12:23 pm

How much of that is just McP posts?

Sun January 28, 2018 2:06 pm

http://www.newsweek.com/cnn-turk-reports-american-sniper-bradley-cooper-killed-syria-us-military-792775

Fri February 09, 2018 1:06 am

BuzzFeed going full ethnostate

Fri February 09, 2018 1:07 am

i only write with black pen on black paper

Fri February 09, 2018 1:13 am

Fri February 09, 2018 1:42 am

i didn't realize they were pro-wall

Fri February 09, 2018 2:03 am

they have some kind of wall in the comics I think. In the movie it looks like some kind of cloaking device or something?

don't tell Trump about cloaking devices.

Fri February 09, 2018 4:32 am

Here's what I don't get. They established in Civil War that Wakandans have their own language. T'challa and Dad'challa speak it to each other before that bomb explodes. But it looks like this movie is in English. The characters seem to be talking to each other in English, but with African-sounding accents. So is this like the Gaelic language where very few people in Ireland speak it as their first tongue, or is it like those situations where the audience accepts that the characters are canonically supposed to be speaking Wakandan to each other but we're just bypassing the subtitles (like, say, the scenes of Germans talking to each other in Wonder Woman)?

Fri February 09, 2018 1:52 pm

theplatypus wrote:Here's what I don't get. They established in Civil War that Wakandans have their own language. T'challa and Dad'challa speak it to each other before that bomb explodes. But it looks like this movie is in English. The characters seem to be talking to each other in English, but with African-sounding accents. So is this like the Gaelic language where very few people in Ireland speak it as their first tongue, or is it like those situations where the audience accepts that the characters are canonically supposed to be speaking Wakandan to each other but we're just bypassing the subtitles (like, say, the scenes of Germans talking to each other in Wonder Woman)?

There's a cool article about this topic. At least I found it interesting.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/chadwick-bosema ... 1820258023

Fri February 09, 2018 2:32 pm

That doesn't answer my question at all!

Fri February 09, 2018 2:37 pm

theplatypus wrote:That doesn't answer my question at all!

Yeah not specifically. Interesting topic though.

Fri February 09, 2018 2:44 pm

If anything, it makes things more confusing. English is spoken in countries like Kenya and Nigeria because they were colonized, but Wakanda is this super isolationist nation that was never colonized

Fri February 09, 2018 2:50 pm

theplatypus wrote:If anything, it makes things more confusing. English is spoken in countries like Kenya and Nigeria because they were colonized, but Wakanda is this super isolationist nation that was never colonized

Oh for sure. It just shows they realized the issue and in the end they totally improvised it.

Fri February 09, 2018 3:42 pm

best guess is there will be a hypothetical "translated from wakanda" assumption

just like all the space faring races in GotG spoke english
Post a reply