The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1409 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 71  Next
 Post subject: Re: On The Media: Where Do You Get Your News?
PostPosted: Tue January 03, 2017 8:11 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Green Habit wrote:
Whither Fox News? O'Reilly is getting old, don't see him wanting to stay much longer. Just stick the robotic Hannity up there for hours?

"Broad" new role is pretty sexist, guy.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Thu January 26, 2017 6:07 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

For news reports, I have paid subscriptions to WaPo and NYT, though I partake in free access wherever I can get it.

By and large, though, my daily reading comes in the form of research journals, vetted dorkily by me regarding the quality of their review boards and processes. This occurs to the extent that I fit the "I won't be a member of a club that would have me as a member" crowd, and never reference material in journals that I serve.

That reading tends to color my interpretation of the world, whose movements are often presented by journalists either not informed by research or who thoroughly misunderstand it.

PostPosted: Thu January 26, 2017 5:01 pm 
Poster of the Year

I pay for WaPo and have access to my work's Boston Globe subscription. If I were to subscribe to anything else it would be the NYT and WSJ.

PostPosted: Fri January 27, 2017 6:54 am 
The Master

cutuphalfdead wrote:
I pay for WaPo and have access to my work's Boston Globe subscription. If I were to subscribe to anything else it would be the NYT and WSJ.

I now subscribe to my ex local paper - the startribune of Minneapolis - The New York Times and the Washington Post.

PostPosted: Fri January 27, 2017 2:28 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

I get most of my political news from McP on RM.

PostPosted: Tue March 21, 2017 5:37 pm 
Production Police

Hey, does RM know about AllSides?

http://www.allsides.com/

They basically share topical articles from other outlets on the left, right, and center, to present the full spectrum of reporting.

PostPosted: Tue March 21, 2017 10:05 pm 
Broken Tamborine

tragabigzanda wrote:
Hey, does RM know about AllSides?

http://www.allsides.com/

They basically share topical articles from other outlets on the left, right, and center, to present the full spectrum of reporting.

I literally just discovered this 3 hours ago. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Fri March 24, 2017 9:58 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

The real victims here.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Sat April 01, 2017 8:10 am 

Old media declared war on youtube recently (because they are full of HORRIBLE NAZI KKK RACISTS!!1!).

It's far too late.

PostPosted: Tue April 11, 2017 4:39 am 

PostPosted: Tue April 11, 2017 7:30 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

fuckin a

PostPosted: Wed April 19, 2017 6:53 pm 
The Master

No longer from Billy Boy

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyl ... 0d029d7773

PostPosted: Wed April 19, 2017 7:45 pm 
Site Admin

Green Habit wrote:
Whither Fox News? O'Reilly is getting old, don't see him wanting to stay much longer.
Well, I was right about this, but didn't guess the right reason!

PostPosted: Wed April 19, 2017 7:59 pm 
Production Police

My daily news cycle, updated:

Email/Work-related social network BS
Insty
Reddit
RM
Wash Post
NYTimes
Boston Globe
Politico
Gloucester Daily Times (MA)
Bozeman Daily Chronicle
NPR app (live and podcast, multiple titles within)

If time allows:

Hollywood Reporter
BirthMoviesDeath
Collider
Pitchfork
Consequence of Sound
Stereogum
Kotaku
Jezebel
io9
smaller local/regional newspapers from various parts of the country

PostPosted: Thu April 20, 2017 4:36 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

If you get your news and your nootropics from different sources, you might be doing it wrong.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 12:03 am 
Production Police

Unofficial reports coming that Hannity is out at Fox News by the end of the week.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 12:59 am 

wow. There has been a lot of turnover with the higher-ups. I have to think this will change their "personality" a bit.

or maybe not.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 6:36 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

This Slate Star Codex piece is really good:

http://slatestarcodex.com/2017/05/01/ne ... -struggle/

Quote:
The moral of the story is: if you’re against witch-hunts, and you promise to found your own little utopian community where witch-hunts will never happen, your new society will end up consisting of approximately three principled civil libertarians and seven zillion witches. It will be a terrible place to live even if witch-hunts are genuinely wrong.

FOX’s slogans are “Fair and Balanced”, “Real Journalism”, and “We Report, You Decide”. They were pushing the “actually unbiased media” angle hard. I don’t know if this was ever true, or if people really believed it. It doesn’t matter. By attracting only the refugees from a left-slanted system, they ensured they would end up not just with conservatives, but with the worst and most extreme conservatives.

They also ensured that the process would feed on itself. As conservatives left for their ghettos, the neutral gatekeeper institutions leaned further and further left, causing more and more conservatives to leave. Meanwhile, the increasingly obvious horribleness of the conservative ghettos made liberals feel more and more justified in their decision to be biased against conservatives. They intensified their loathing and contempt, accelerating the conservative exodus.

The equilibrium is basically what we see now. The neutral gatekeeper institutions lean very liberal, though with a minority of conservative elites who are good at keeping their heads down and too mainstream/prestigious to settle for anything less. The ghettos contain a combination of seven zillion witches and a few decent conservatives who are increasingly uncomfortable but know there’s no place for them in the mainstream.

I’m desperately trying to avoid the Nerd Culture Wars, which have somehow managed to be even worse than the Regular Culture Wars, but even I’ve heard about GamerGate and the Sad Puppies. These were originally movements to fight a perceived liberal bias in regular gaming/sci-fi. They of course failed, and now they’re their own little separate conservative spaces practicing conservative video game commentary/sci-fi writing. I don’t want to deny that they’re often horrible. They’re horrible in exactly the same way FOX News is horrible, and for exactly the same reasons. I expect this pattern of conservatives seceding from theoretically-neutral-but-realistically-left-leading communities and forming terrible communities full of witches to repeat itself again and again, because it’s happening for systemic rather than community-specific reasons.

The overall impression is of a widespread norm, well-understood by both liberals and conservatives, that we have a category of space we call “neutral” and “depoliticized”. These sorts of spaces include institutions as diverse as colleges, newspapers, workplaces, and conferences. And within these spaces, overt liberalism is tolerated but overt conservativism is banned. In a few of these cases, conservatives grew angry enough that they started their own spaces – which began as noble attempts to avoid bias, and ended as wretched hives of offensive troglodytes who couldn’t get by anywhere else. This justifies further purges in the mainstream liberal spaces, and the cycle goes on forever.

Stanford historian Robert Conquest once declared it a law of politics that “any organization not explicitly right-wing sooner or later becomes left-wing”. I have no idea why this should be true, and yet I’ve seen it again and again. Taken to its extreme, it suggests we’ll end up with a bunch of neutral organizations that have become left-wing, plus a few explicitly right-wing organizations. Given that Conquest was writing in the 1960s, he seems to have predicted the current situation remarkably well.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 8:27 pm 

It's the pretense of neutrality (and sole authority) that gets me. I'm inclined to respect MSNBC or Fox more than something like CNN. Though they don't spell out their biases, it's pretty obvious what they're about. These other institutions are not neutral, and really haven't been for decades.

I'm not sure wildly biased institutions competing against each other is such a bad idea, it may even be unavoidable, just don't pretend to be neutral when you obviously aren't.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 8:30 pm 
Production Police

The only news outlets that I consider fairly non-biased are:

PBS
NPR
Politico (really more like a Capital Hill gossip column than anything else)
The Hill (ditto)
The Economist

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1409 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 71  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate