Switch to full style
Engage in discussions about news, politics, etc.
Post a reply

On The Media: Where Do You Get Your News?

Mon December 28, 2015 11:48 am

Where do you get your news, RM?
Last edited by Norris on Fri October 12, 2018 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: On The Media: Where Do You Get Your News?

Mon December 28, 2015 4:22 pm

Yahoo and Google News just to get started with simple stuff. They aggregate a lot so that leads me to bounce around a bit. I don't think I make an active effort to read any major traditional newspaper regularly, but through this I probably bounce around to places like NYT, WaPo, etc. often enough.

Then, I built a custom Twitter feed to follow a group of commentators that I've long felt had interesting views, regardless of whether I ultimately agree with them. Through them, I usually get bounced to some other websites.
--Matt Yglesias (lefty, Vox.com)
--Megan McArdle (libertarian, Bloomberg.com)
--Eugene Volokh (libertarian law expert, Volokh Conspiracy)
--Josh Blackman (libertarian law expert, his own blog)
--Scott Lemieux (lefty law expert, Lawyers, Guns & Money)

Kinda wish I had a true blue conservative commentator that I could get interested in, but still haven't found a good one.

The Atlantic also has some good stuff I like, especially their CityLab sister site for geeking out on urban development issues.

Mon December 28, 2015 4:28 pm

copy-pasting my post from the The War on Terror /Central Asia/Mid East/Africa thread:

I parse me news through a variety of sources that I consider trustworthy and fairly transparent: NPR, PBS, the New York Times, the Washington Post, 60 Minutes, Ralph Nader, Noam Chomsky, Naomi Klein, Gawker, and more... I'll read Al Jazeera occasionally, but have to admit that I don't consume too much foregin media and don't believe I know many who do.

Mon December 28, 2015 5:05 pm

I have a couple of friends who share their log-ins with me, so I get the direct news feeds for AP, NYT, WP, Gannet, McClatchy/Knight Ridder, Reuters, Bloomberg and Tribune Publishing (Chicago Tribune and L.A. Times). All but McClatchy/Knight Ridder come into a single "portal".

Also...
Arizona Central (free with my AZ Republic subscription)
ProPublica
Politico
NPR
BBC
Al Jazeera
Romenesko (newspaper industry news)

But to be honest, as Green Habit already mentioned, Yahoo! News does a great job of aggregating news stories and their apps are fantastic, so I find myself doing less digging these days. I generally only browse my news feeds on Sundays and Wednesdays (my work from home day) now.

Mon December 28, 2015 8:45 pm

A mixture of BBC, Guardian UK, Sydney Morning Herald and through our news bulletin on NBN (for local stuff).

Mon December 28, 2015 9:39 pm

Mon December 28, 2015 9:43 pm

Armond White reviews

Mon December 28, 2015 9:45 pm

bada wrote:Image

anna kooiman or gtfo

Mon December 28, 2015 10:08 pm

Red Mosquito

Mon December 28, 2015 10:14 pm

I like to read zerohedge.com for the immenent destruction of the world's economy that's supposed to happen any day now for the last several years. I'm sure they will be right eventually.

Mon December 28, 2015 10:30 pm

BurtReynolds wrote:I like to read zerohedge.com for the immenent destruction of the world's economy that's supposed to happen any day now for the last several years. I'm sure they will be right eventually.
I check in there very rarely and almost every time I do I have no fucking clue what they're talking about. Kris and Matt did a good job dissecting them back when they used to post here.

Mon December 28, 2015 10:38 pm

Green Habit wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:I like to read zerohedge.com for the immenent destruction of the world's economy that's supposed to happen any day now for the last several years. I'm sure they will be right eventually.
I check in there very rarely and almost every time I do I have no fucking clue what they're talking about. Kris and Matt did a good job dissecting them back when they used to post here.

yeah I don't understand any of it either.

Tue December 29, 2015 2:41 am

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
bada wrote:Image

anna kooiman or gtfo

She's pretty and all but I like my news to be more fair and balanced.

Tue December 29, 2015 1:19 pm

NPR and Real Time with Bill Maher.

:oops:

Tue December 29, 2015 1:25 pm

WBZ in Boston

Tue December 29, 2015 4:10 pm

twitter primarily. I like those that I follow, and they tend to be a little more liberal than I am, so when they RT something it's usually worthwhile in terms of giving me a different perspective than what I may have stumbled upon on my own.

Tue December 29, 2015 4:51 pm

I should have worded this From Whom Do You Get Your News?.

Tue December 29, 2015 5:01 pm

@SkitchP wrote:twitter primarily. I like those that I follow, and they tend to be a little more liberal than I am, so when they RT something it's usually worthwhile in terms of giving me a different perspective than what I may have stumbled upon on my own.
Good call.

For those of you who have an ideology that fits one that's common among the populace, how often do you seek out opposing viewpoints to keep you honest?

Tue December 29, 2015 5:02 pm

Green Habit wrote:
@SkitchP wrote:twitter primarily. I like those that I follow, and they tend to be a little more liberal than I am, so when they RT something it's usually worthwhile in terms of giving me a different perspective than what I may have stumbled upon on my own.
Good call.

For those of you who have an ideology that fits one that's common among the populace, how often do you seek out opposing viewpoints to keep you honest?

I read the Boston Globe's token conservative columnist (Jeff Jacoby) often enough. It's always good for a laugh.

Tue December 29, 2015 5:22 pm

I read a ton of conservatives including NYT's David Brooks and most of the columnists at National Review.
Post a reply