The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 240 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Miscellaneous charts, graphs and maps
PostPosted: Fri February 15, 2019 11:47 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

PostPosted: Sat February 16, 2019 4:39 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Looks like both mass incarceration and media-fueled fear work:

PostPosted: Sat February 16, 2019 6:56 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Bi_3 wrote:
Looks like both mass incarceration and media-fueled fear work:

Party messaging...

...leads to party effect.

PostPosted: Sun February 17, 2019 1:52 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

While I totally agree “party messaging” (Fox) is at work here, I wonder if there isn’t also a bit of reality as well. The rural/urban divide on economic growth plus opioid addiction issues could create those results as well

PostPosted: Thu February 21, 2019 10:11 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Fri February 22, 2019 2:31 am 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

The (young) whites are at it again.

But republicans still go nuts over a stupid burning flag.

Specific examples probably expose Republicans as being anti-speech-they-don't-like as well, but the fact that young "liberals" are increasingly, broadly anti-speech doesn't bode well.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Fri February 22, 2019 2:23 pm 
Site Admin

BurtReynolds wrote:
It was depressing to see Coke on the top for so long. Being replaced with Apple is better, but only marginally so.

PostPosted: Fri February 22, 2019 2:24 pm 
Site Admin

BurtReynolds wrote:
Specific examples probably expose Republicans as being anti-speech-they-don't-like as well, but the fact that young "liberals" are increasingly, broadly anti-speech doesn't bode well.
It would be mindblowing to someone in the 1970s to be transported to today to see how this has changed.

PostPosted: Fri February 22, 2019 2:32 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Green Habit wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:
It would be mindblowing to someone in the 1970s to be transported to today to see how this has changed.

Would it, though? This attitude has cycled through both parties before, often far more intensely and passionately than now, and yet has never really altered the broader legal status of speech in our country

PostPosted: Fri February 22, 2019 2:38 pm 
Site Admin

McParadigm wrote:
Green Habit wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:
Would it, though? This attitude has cycled through both parties before, often far more intensely and passionately than now, and yet has never really altered the broader legal status of speech in our country
I was just trying to limit it to two specific eras, so I think it would. Someone like Scalia voting to declare flag burning as constitutionally protected would have been very tough to predict. And there have been a smattering of old guard ACLU types who've been worrying that their organization is weakening its cause to free speech, even to speech they don't like.

PostPosted: Fri February 22, 2019 2:57 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Green Habit wrote:
McParadigm wrote:
Green Habit wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:
I was just trying to limit it to two specific eras, so I think it would. Someone like Scalia voting to declare flag burning as constitutionally protected would have been very tough to predict. And there have been a smattering of old guard ACLU types who've been worrying that their organization is weakening its cause to free speech, even to speech they don't like.

I think people just stop supporting free speech when they dislike what’s being said enough. The question in the poll above, coming while conservatives are fretting en mass over feelings that a mob of lefties are trying to make them look evil and where liberals are lit up over every perceived act of racism and intolerance...is contextually unremarkable. So is this poll from last year:

PostPosted: Fri February 22, 2019 9:36 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Green Habit wrote:
McParadigm wrote:
Green Habit wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:

I thought they had already come out and said they wont defend speech they deem as 'hate' any more.

PostPosted: Thu February 28, 2019 10:53 pm 

PostPosted: Wed March 06, 2019 12:42 am 
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed March 06, 2019 12:47 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Et tu scotch whisky

PostPosted: Wed March 06, 2019 1:00 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

my whiskey post alarm went off

PostPosted: Wed March 20, 2019 3:50 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Quote:
"It's early 2020. The entire country is gripped with Marco Rubio fever except for Alaska, which is freaking out. You're frantically studying up on etiquette and/or sexting."

PostPosted: Fri March 22, 2019 6:31 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

PostPosted: Fri March 22, 2019 6:37 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

The best thing about that map is that Alaska is like a smaller, mirror universe scenario hanging out in a breakout panel. Geographically blue, but no one is rushing to say that means it should be a blue state....because that logic is stupid.

PostPosted: Fri March 22, 2019 6:42 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

wtf is up with Maine? White wall or something?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 240 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate