The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: The 45th POTUS - Donald J. Trump
PostPosted: Sat July 14, 2018 2:45 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

dimejinky99 wrote:
McParadigm wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
jwfocker wrote:
Protecting 'traditions' and 'culture' and declaring that they are under attack have been buzz words used to enact violence on minorities and people that are different than the majority for centuries. Hate, racism, and nationalistic pride are packed within those phrases.

In the context the red team is using it now, i somewhat agree. I dont think they are all racists, but I think a majority of people (not politicians) using those phrases right now are letting fear and prejudice prevent them from understanding that culture is not static. And Trump is certainly leveraging that to all of our detriments.

This is probably fair for many. A big part of anti-Irish sentiment was the idea that Catholicism was incompatible with American culture (LOL), and would harm it. That’s not how the sentiments played out, or how they were expressed over time, but that and the predicted costs to the American labor market were the starting point. A culture and economic fear erupted into stupidity.

Never minding that the president referring to European culture here also uses the word to describe Confederate statues, the culture argument is exactly of the type that comes when you form your opinion first (feels true), and gather information second. It does feel perfectly reasonable, as a possible danger, until you examine actual research into the issue.

We would all be best served in learning our lesson from the Irish immigration story. Stop obsessing over the differences immigrants represent, and start looking for their lucky charms.

The vast majority of the 40 million Irish Americans seem to be the worst kind of republican redneck pig ignorant uneducated racist assholes but that’s more a reflection on what happened to them in your country the past 200 years. It’s not representative of mine at all.

do you keep a dossier on all 40 million of them?

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

Post subject: Modern Ireland: die Herrenmenschen?
PostPosted: Sat July 14, 2018 3:05 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

In this thread, we dispel the myth of moral, political, and intellectual superiority of Nativist Irish versus Americans of Irish descent as proposed by dimejinky99

dimejinky99 wrote:
The vast majority of the 40 million Irish Americans seem to be the worst kind of republican redneck pig ignorant uneducated racist assholes but that’s more a reflection on what happened to them in your country the past 200 years. It’s not representative of mine at all.

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

Post subject: Re: Modern Ireland: die Herrenmenschen?
PostPosted: Sat July 14, 2018 3:07 am 
Production Police

U2 sucks now

PostPosted: Sat July 14, 2018 3:08 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

I shall begin by reminding Mr. Jinky of the emerald isle's near complete economic dependence on the united states of america, as a function of engineering itself entirely as a conduit for tax evasion:

Quote:
US multinationals contribute significantly to Ireland's economy, making up 14 of the top 20 Irish firms (by turnover), directly employing a quarter of the private sector labour-force, paying 80% of all business taxes,[27][28] and creating 57% of non-farm private sector OECD value-add.

Quote:
The "multinational tax schemes" used by these US firms ("double Irish" and "corporate tax inversions"), distort Ireland's economic statistics (GNI, GNP and GDP). For example, the OECD shows Ireland with average leverage on a gross public debt-to-GDP basis (78.8% in 2016), but with the 2nd highest leverage, after Japan, on a gross public debt-per capita basis ($62,686 in 2016). This disconnect led to the 2017 development by the Central Bank of Ireland of Irish modified GNI (or GNI*) for measuring the Irish economy (2016 GDP is 143% of Irish 2016 GNI*, and OECD Irish gross public debt-to-GNI* is 116.5%), however experts believe this issue may not be fully solvable.

Quote:
An apparent, but illusory, 2015 GDP growth of 26.3% (GNP of 18.7%) was officially ascribed to tax inversion practices by multinationals accessing Ireland's low tax rates. This growth, labelled leprechaun economics, was shown to be driven by Apple restructuring their double Irish subsidiary, ASI, in January 2015. A follow up EU Commission report into Ireland's national accounts showed that even before leprechaun economics, 23% of Ireland's GDP was multinational net royalty payments, implying Irish GDP was inflated to 130% of "true" GDP (before the Apple growth).

Quote:
Given the importance of US multinationals to Ireland's economy (80% of Irish multinational employment, and 14 of the 20 largest Irish firms), the passing of the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017 is a major challenge to Ireland. Parts of the US TCJA are targeted at Irish multinational tax schemes (especially the move to a modern "terroritial tax" system,[60][61] the introduction of a lower FDII tax on intellectual property, and the counter-Irish GILTI tax regime). In addition, the EU's impending 2018 Digital Sales Tax (and stated desire for a Common Consolidated Corporate Tax Base), is also seen as an attempt to restrict the use of the Irish multinational tax schemes by US technology firms.

PostPosted: Sat July 14, 2018 3:13 am 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

tragabigzanda wrote:
U2 sucks now

He's got you there

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Sat July 14, 2018 3:20 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

I shall continue by highlighting that according to one study, the "vast majority" voted for Hillary Clinton and not for Donald Trump in the 2016 election:

Quote:
Trending towards Democrat
The research conducted by the Clinton Institute and partners in recent months has several strands and utilises both online surveys and fieldwork.
One strand of this research (in collaboration with Glucksman Ireland House at New York University) involved a survey of users of the Irish Central website, the largest and most prominent Irish American website in the US.
In February of this year, 3,181 subscribers to the site responded to the survey. We found that 51 per cent of the respondents were third generation and beyond, and that their levels of education and income are well above the American medians – all of which reinforces the late ethnicity perception of this ethnic grouping.
Political perspectives trended broadly towards Democrat/liberal. In the 2016 presidential election, 92 per cent of respondents voted: 47 per cent voted for Clinton, 27 per cent for Trump, and 20 per cent refused to indicate their vote. More generally, 41 per cent signified as Democrat while 23 per cent selected Republican. The preferred news sources were more liberal than conservative; for example, of those who got their news from television, 45 per cent used NBC while 36 per cent used Fox.

PostPosted: Sat July 14, 2018 3:23 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

I shall add, Mr. Jinky, on the subject of being 'redneck', that in the United States, less than 2% of the population works in agriculture;

Quote:
However, the farming sector is still crucial to Ireland’s economy. In fact agri-food is our most important indigenous sector employing 8.6% of the working population.

PostPosted: Sat July 14, 2018 3:23 am 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

It's like I always said: never should have let those Catholics in.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Sat July 14, 2018 3:28 am 
Production Police

Spoiler alert: The girl in The Crying Game is actually a dude.

PostPosted: Sat July 14, 2018 3:28 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

On the subject of racism, from which side of the Atlantic Ocean the following comments were made in response to the #WeAreIrish diversity handle?

Quote:
“Sh**y brown parasites”.
“Stop trying to be us you f**king c**t. I don’t staple my eyes slanty and say I’m Chinese, do I?”
“F**k out of my country ya daft c**t
“Harro maybe iv I spell name in Irwish I’ll become rike rem [SIC]”

PostPosted: Sat July 14, 2018 3:30 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

In terms of being an asshole, what could be more assholish than slandering 40 million people for little benefit other than propping up one's own fragile sense of self-worth?

PostPosted: Sat July 14, 2018 3:32 am 

Is there oil in Ireland that we could liberate?

PostPosted: Sat July 14, 2018 3:32 am 
mXn

I just found a 1998 Kathy Ireland swimsuit calendar in my garage yesterday.

PostPosted: Sat July 14, 2018 3:35 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

BurtReynolds wrote:
Is there oil in Ireland that we could liberate?

there's no point in 'liberating' them Cheney-style when they have already been in the 'spread anus' formation for US multinationals for decades

PostPosted: Sat July 14, 2018 3:38 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Factoid: In the United States, Americans of Irish descent have historically used Churches for praying in

Factoid: In Ireland, Nativist Irish have historically used Churches for putting bombs in to kill people over meaningless bullshit

PostPosted: Sat July 14, 2018 2:42 pm 
what on earth am I talking about

96583UP wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:
McParadigm wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
jwfocker wrote:
Protecting 'traditions' and 'culture' and declaring that they are under attack have been buzz words used to enact violence on minorities and people that are different than the majority for centuries. Hate, racism, and nationalistic pride are packed within those phrases.

In the context the red team is using it now, i somewhat agree. I dont think they are all racists, but I think a majority of people (not politicians) using those phrases right now are letting fear and prejudice prevent them from understanding that culture is not static. And Trump is certainly leveraging that to all of our detriments.

This is probably fair for many. A big part of anti-Irish sentiment was the idea that Catholicism was incompatible with American culture (LOL), and would harm it. That’s not how the sentiments played out, or how they were expressed over time, but that and the predicted costs to the American labor market were the starting point. A culture and economic fear erupted into stupidity.

Never minding that the president referring to European culture here also uses the word to describe Confederate statues, the culture argument is exactly of the type that comes when you form your opinion first (feels true), and gather information second. It does feel perfectly reasonable, as a possible danger, until you examine actual research into the issue.

We would all be best served in learning our lesson from the Irish immigration story. Stop obsessing over the differences immigrants represent, and start looking for their lucky charms.

No but there’s fb pages like Irish central which is for ‘irish’ americans And it’s the worst kind of shit ugly nonsense like when the St Patrick day parade rolls around and youll see thousands of them railing against gay people being allowed participate and basically everything else. All very pro trump too. They’re rabid about their Irish ancestry *but have never been here*. And have no understanding at all that the Ireland they have in their heads doesn’t exist outside a postcard. It’s disappointing and alarming. Go have a look at that page. It’s depressing but fairly representative of them and their thinking.

PostPosted: Sat July 14, 2018 2:45 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

dimejinky99 wrote:
96583UP wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:
McParadigm wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
jwfocker wrote:

No but there’s fb pages like Irish central which is for ‘irish’ americans And it’s the worst kind of shit ugly nonsense like when the St Patrick day parade rolls around and youll see thousands of them railing against gay people being allowed participate and basically everything else. All very pro trump too. They’re rabid about their Irish ancestry *but have never been here*. And have no understanding at all that the Ireland they have in their heads doesn’t exist outside a postcard. It’s disappointing and alarming. Go have a look at that page. It’s depressing but fairly representative of them and their thinking.

What the fuck, dime? Do you even know what Facebook IS? Why don't you tone down your vitriol?

PostPosted: Sat July 14, 2018 2:55 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

If you're going to discuss this topic, discuss it for real, not in GD.

PostPosted: Sat July 14, 2018 3:29 pm 
what on earth am I talking about

We don’t benefit from US capital flowing through our country. At all. The EU recently ruled that Ireland must collect the €15billion Apple owes us in tax. They haven’t collected it. And that’s just Apple. Facebook google and many others have their EU hqs in Dublin and they all pay minimal tax. We also don’t depend on US for our economy at all. Our biggest trading partner is the UK. Think it’s about 10,000 jobs in US firms once the country but that’s hardly dependent on US economy.
And yeah it’s fair to tar all those with the same brush cos it’s all I’ve seen of these people. They’re an embarrassment. If America dropped its tribalism and people identifying as Italian American or Irish American it would stop a lot of the bullshit were seeing today.
You’re not Irish American. You’re American. It’s as simple as that

PostPosted: Sat July 14, 2018 3:35 pm 
Poster of the Year

Yeah but if Irish Americans didn't continue to identify as Irish they never would have sent all that money over for the revolution.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate